Firm closing

finlo

11 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I am no expert on the hospitality trade. I am an end user of it, an observer if you like.

I genuinely defer to your better experience.

Answer me this though. Why is a publican on Manx radio bemoaning the reduced schedule and it's effect on trade, when the same publicans pub was shut all day on the biggest day of the MGP? It's a reasonable question?

So you were wrong on this but are now doubling down later in the thread to ‘win the internet’. 

Some of your posting is bizarre. That thing where I mentioned previously that Cheng Dhu need advance warning or a long wait for some dishes, you were rattling that you need fed immediately you get to the restaurant, as if that’s somehow their fault. Now you’re looking around for something to support your point that has already had disagreement from most sensible posters on here. 

There are usually reasons for most things, if you look into it, rather than just making an assumption. But in this day and age the ass is usually made of u ;-).

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You mean like they did?

I am sure I am not alone in the world when I use Google to check if a place is open and also not alone in the world when I also looked at their own web page. Further more I asked the question ( if you check back)

If establishments can't even take fundamental steps to make sure information is correct are they not doomed to fail.

I needed HSBC bank on Monday and checked on Google. I was surprised when it was shown as being open, as it was a bank holiday. But it opens on Saturdays as I went in, no counters open though, and I was told come back on Monday.

But as it turns out, it was indeed closed. Trip to Strand Street wasted.

I think that is in reply to more than  one part of your post (HSBC ain't gonna fail anytime soon)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You mean like they did?

I am sure I am not alone in the world when I use Google to check if a place is open and also not alone in the world when I also looked at their own web page. Further more I asked the question ( if you check back)

If establishments can't even take fundamental steps to make sure information is correct are they not doomed to fail.

To be fair to them. Anyone with even the slightest hint of a brain cell would know they were open that day and running extended hours over TT.

The opening hours for the vast majority of places that are closed on a Monday won’t be updated to reflect if they open on a bank holiday. 

• Like 1

Is this building on DEFA land, or other Govt dept, certainly the Swiss Chalet was.

If so, can the Lodge actually be 'bought'? Or just the ingoing or lease purchased?

They could walk away from a lease, donations wasted!

I could be wrong but more info is required.

Swiss Chalet building seems to be repaired now, will it be  leased out soon???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tinpot said:

An interesting approach for a business that needs some finance.  Just ask the public to chip in.

https://www.savingthelodge.com

Interesting or blatant begging to prop up something not viable and bury your head in the sand hoping someone bails you out / covers for your mistakes and lack of foresight.

Just had a chat in office with business partner- consensus was if we have to ask for funding like this we fucked up a long time ago and committed to things we couldn’t honour.

Not really how a viable business should operate.

You never want to see anyone suffer loss of livelihood but sometimes it’s inevitable and trying to save it by taking cash from people with little chance of return speaks volumes of the proprietor.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Interesting or blatant begging to prop up something not viable and bury your head in the sand hoping someone bails you out / covers for your mistakes and lack of foresight.

Just had a chat in office with business partner- consensus was if we have to ask for funding like this we fucked up a long time ago and committed to things we couldn’t honour.

Not really how a viable business should operate.

You never want to see anyone suffer loss of livelihood but sometimes it’s inevitable and trying to save it by taking cash from people with little chance of return speaks volumes of the proprietor.

It works if you call it Crowdfunding or micro financing though! 

Just take a look at that GLO Canabis Farm's offering.  I doubt any of the local community of investors will ever see anything back 

1 hour ago, manxchester said:

What happens to the cash donated if (as likely) they don't raise enough to buy it?

Also, anyone else heard the rumours about one of the Islands property developers no longer operating?

The one named after a flat roof Port Erin pub that the Director with no financial involvement has resigned from so he can finish the hotel that had Talons bar in - otherwise no

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

It works if you call it Crowdfunding or micro financing though! 

Just take a look at that GLO Canabis Farm's offering.  I doubt any of the local community of investors will ever see anything back 

Are companies allowed to crowdfund like what the lodge is doing? Do they have to adhere to FSA regulations etc? 

44 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Are companies allowed to crowdfund like what the lodge is doing? Do they have to adhere to FSA regulations etc? 

I don't see why any company can't crowdfund various projects...FSA only regulate finance related companies and might only get involved if the company is FSA regulated, client funds are at risk, the topic was illegal, and/or the regulated business was in danger of going bust. IMO.

51 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Am I right in think that these guys could be living in hope of a significant donation?

On 9/4/2024 at 10:11 AM, Tinpot said:

To be fair to them. Anyone with even the slightest hint of a brain cell would know they were open that day and running extended hours over TT.

The opening hours for the vast majority of places that are closed on a Monday won’t be updated to reflect if they open on a bank holiday. 

I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that given I live in Douglas. Faceache perhaps. However like about a million billion other people in the world I check on Google first. Also I reckon if I was in the hospitality business, and had more than half the brain I have, I would take the 1 minute it takes to alter the open times on Google. But hey ho, maybe my half a brain is not getting it with me not being an expert. 

• Haha 1