Firm closing

finlo

One of main issues with getting staff to come to island is the cost & availability of accommodation . We should keep the temporary chalets at Victoria road today house hospitality & other staff until they can find permanent accommodation.

Jersey are looking at temporary housing as a solution for their issues with hospitality/retail staff shortages 

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

One of main issues with getting staff to come to island is the cost & availability of accommodation . We should keep the temporary chalets at Victoria road today house hospitality & other staff until they can find permanent accommodation.

Jersey are looking at temporary housing as a solution for their issues with hospitality/retail staff shortages 

Some of those temporary chalets are now permanent residences, aren't they?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

The Government should be taking some of this lot on benefits that 'can't get a job' and tell them to apply!

As I pointed out on just the previous page, that at the end of April there were 346 vacancies in the hospitality industry and only 257 registered unemployed in total.  I doubt it has got any easier for employers since.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

Retail and hospitality is in an absolute mess here after the pandemic and I can see lots of places closing due to a mix of low footfall, problems getting staff, and rocketing operational costs. 

Hot off the back of covid, these rises have been horrific for small businesses. It's not even about making profits, breaking even and keeping people in a job is foremost on owners minds. Government really need to take a good look into this before more businesses close

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

I know that as I work in it.

My point is, what does this particular poster suggest they do, if costs are going up? 

I don't disagree with any of what you say but then we have people lamenting places closing.

Truthfully we probably have too many hospitality businesses doing the same thing, just to a better or worse standard than the last. 

It does make operators very reluctant though to start anything new. Hence no innovation or things a bit different.

There's blind all the government can do regards to energy prices but they could reduce VAT back down to 5% on food. Hotels benefit from this so why not help hospitality?

50 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

There's blind all the government can do regards to energy prices but they could reduce VAT back down to 5% on food. Hotels benefit from this so why not help hospitality?

Meant the hospitality venues themselves not the Government, although totally agree with the point. 

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Hot off the back of covid, these rises have been horrific for small businesses. It's not even about making profits, breaking even and keeping people in a job is foremost on owners minds. Government really need to take a good look into this before more businesses close

I agree with you but government honestly doesn’t have a clue what to do or even how hard it’s been. In fact many public servants still seem to be quite bitter about the size of the support given over the pandemic period (like it’s their money) without even having a vague understanding of what the issues and challenges have been for people just trying to stay afloat. That’s what happens when you get paid no matter what you do (or don’t do) and even whether the economy can support that payment you receive or not. 

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Would need UK government agreement under sharing agreement 

6 hours ago, jackwhite said:

I understand your point here.

Do you think their income has 'risen to the same level'? 

Food businesses in particular do not operate on much of a profit margin. For a number of years rising costs have been absorbed by businesses but it's just become unsustainable.

Everything is going up and the cost of living only continues to spiral. Sadly I think that will continue for at least the next 12 months, maybe longer if I was being pessimistic (or realistic). 

If people simply can't afford to go out that's completely understandable. 

However if those that can then decide not to, and there's a general drop off for lots of people who 'don't go out anymore', then your choice will dwindle and potential new owners will perhaps think this isn't the place to open a business. It's a tough balancing act. 

Unfortunately I can’t really answer your question because I don’t know their profit margin or operating costs, to put it simply it’s now roughly £10 for a coffee and sandwich there. I can make the same sandwich for about £1.50-£2 using similar ingredients, the coffee is a filter coffee using a machine, I suppose coffee filters/pods would be the closest thing so probably nearer £1 by the time I allow for electricity and milk, paying myself minimum wage it takes me 5 mins to make each, If I just throw a rough figure in, I think allowing for my operating costs/time it would add roughly £2 so it’s nearer £5 to make the sandwich/coffee, so profit margin of around 50%

If I had to take a wild stab in the dark, I’d say their profit margin is somewhere between 30-40%.