Firm closing

finlo

On 9/6/2024 at 3:36 PM, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It might be doing well- but a holiday let property business without a holiday property to let isn’t a business - so my wild opinion thrown might not be so wild.

The Living Hope Cult connection / angle is interesting though- many possibilities there - Elder Nelson Corporate Director of Big Blue Bank who was involved with Louis Group collapse might grant them a mortgage - repaid by tithes.

At least they might have matching chairs.

I'm confused here. I'm referring to the actual Lodge at Glen Helen and the catering outfit. I don't believe they are involved in the 'holiday let' business. 

Yes, they do service the actual grounds and provide breakfasts for people staying there to buy, and I'm sure they get their fair share of custom from them around lunch and dinner time as well. But they do also attract quite a few people down there to eat. I've been myself and the food was excellent. They've also been working on somewhere in Douglas too, as far as I know it's still in the works. 

So that business, itself, is doing well. As I said, I don't imagine any hospitality businesses, particularly on the Isle of Man, are doing well enough to make significant capital investment in property at the moment, hence I can see why they would need to try and raise the money. Hospitality is suffering in a lot of parts of the world, even more so on the Isle of Man. These include some that have been about for a number of years and who, you would think, are doing well. But speaking to people involved at the numbers end, that's not the case. 

You seem to have an axe to grind or are just a bit of grumpy old man in general. The couple running the place are lovely people. Whilst I'm not a fan of Living Hope myself, I wasn't even aware they are part of it and, regardless, I don't actually care.

Between that and your apparent issue with a business I was initially very minutely involved with, due to mismatched chairs or whatever todays mood takes you, is actually bizarre behaviour. They have their own FB troll who set up an account just to give them abuse. Not you by any chance?

Also, travel to the UK and there are plenty of places like it. It might be different for the Isle of Man, it doesn't mean it is elsewhere and maybe, just maybe, it's not for you. Just like every hospitality business will have people who won't go near it, because it's not their thing. I doubt you've even tried it or met the people involved. Yet you still seem to want to have cheap digs about it at every possibly opportunity. I've never been in such a place where because people don't like the look of something they have an axe to grind with it. If you don't fancy it, fine, don't go. What purpose does it serve to you to constantly run your mouth, or your fingers in this instance, off about it? Or are you really that sad that because you don't like the online views of someone, that you think you need to try and 'point score' over them every time they comment online. Again, not my business, so you're wasting your time and energy. To round that off, there were some experts on here saying they'd be out of business by February? Odd that we're in September and they're a year down the line, and are still going, with them being so knowledgeable. 

As far the Lodge itself, it appears to me it's a young couple running it who, firstly, provide excellent food and service. Secondly, they don't have a big support network as I understand it, so have turned it into a bit of community hub with their own family and others going there, solely because of that. It would be a shame for this to be lost to those who use it and I don't think it's just as simple as saying to Living Hope, if that it indeed their church, that they should give them money.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

The couple running the place are lovely people. Whilst I'm not a fan of Living Hope myself, I wasn't even aware they are part of it and, regardless, I don't actually care.

I’d care. I’d actively boycott any business I knew which was run by any of those nutters. They could at least afford to give customers a 10% discount if 10% of their profits are going into church tithes. 

Edited by Luker
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Luker said:

I’d care. I’d actively boycott any business I knew which was run by any of those nutters. They could at least afford to give customers a 10% discount if 10% of their profits are going into church tithes. 

Your money, your choice. 

So you’d boycott if you knew? What if you thought maybe because of the ramblings of someone on here with a history of being critical of small businesses? Because none of us actually know here. 

There are a handful of local businesses who have people who attend living hope. In the same way as I wouldn’t ask the religion of any other business owner, I’m not interested. Most religion requires some sort of financial contribution. As I’ve said before, I’m no fan of LH. 

I can categorically say this business isn’t run by LH but by the owners. They moved across from Scotland with their young family for a better quality of life and, until now, have achieved that. Best of luck to them. 

Anyone know when t'Irish bar is going to open down at Bordellos? I have been told 'next Monday' on a number of different weeks but nothing. Maybe the bar owner is a builder.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Anyone know when t'Irish bar is going to open down at Bordellos? I have been told 'next Monday' on a number of different weeks but nothing. Maybe the bar owner is a builder.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the bar owner is indeed a builder!

No idea if or when it's opening. 

Edited by jackwhite

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the bar owner is indeed a builder!

No idea if or when it's opening. 

I was being sarcastic. Sorry I didn't know he was a builder. You know, say they will turn up and don't etc. No disrespect intended, it's his pub, he can open when he wants. I do look forward to having a pint in there though. I hope all is well. Slante and all that.

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

What even is an Irish bar?

Sorry about my teenage English 😁 It just seemed apt 

An irish bar is a pub that sales Guinness and has stickers of leprachuans and all that on the windows. Juke box set to randomly blast out "I'll Tell Me Ma" every hour or so. Drunken Irish men at the bar effing and blinding genuine though.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What even is an Irish bar?

Sorry about my teenage English 😁 It just seemed apt 

Going by recent classifications, any place that calls itself that! 

The likes of a Molly Malones or O'Neills in the UK or O'Donnells here. 

From what I understand at least O'Donnells used to have a decent stock of Irish whiskies. Sadly it has very little these days and is a bit of dive IMO. 

At least the new place is a genuine Irish owner and, from what I've heard, he's looking to sell a decent selection of authentic Irish products. 

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2024 at 9:58 PM, Kopek said:

Does that mean that Glen Helen are packing up, or just going to upgrade those chalets???

If they pull the chalets out of Glen Helen, does that make the Lodge re-financing less viable? Could that be the reason Lodge are trying to buy the ingoing???

If the Lodge are sub-letting from Glamping Ltd and Glamping are at the end of their lease that could leave the Lodge in tricky water? Maybe DEFA will give them a primary lease or put it out to tender???

Perhaps Jack White could expand???

Again, anyone any idea what is happening with the Swiss Chalet? It seems to be restored from the mysterious fire!!!

Apologies I missed this. 

Honestly have no idea on the ins and out of the entire site. I believe it's one landlord owns the whole thing. They are in the business of letting it out. 

The Lodge business is a tenant, independent and only does catering, as far as I know. 

As far as I can see, the funding page has been taken down. 

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

I was being sarcastic. Sorry I didn't know he was a builder. You know, say they will turn up and don't etc. No disrespect intended, it's his pub, he can open when he wants. I do look forward to having a pint in there though. I hope all is well. Slante and all that.

Don't apologise, nothing to do with me.

I'm looking forward to trying it myself. I appreciate what he's trying to do and it won't be easy. But the more nice places we have to go to around Douglas, the better, as far as I'm concerned. The only drawback is you may run into me when in there, so loads of folk here will likely avoid the place 😉.

I'm really not concerned whether that's a cafe or anything else that's opening, despite the moaning whenever a new one pops up. It's great to have variety, which is something we certainly don't have enough of here. My challenge to the complainers is, if you're so keen to do something or think you can do better, put your money where your mouth is and go open something. It's bloody hard work and rarely turns out as easy as you think. 

Edited by jackwhite