Firm closing

finlo

11 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Not the only one from what I’m hearing. More bad news on the horizon. 

But good news for potential gambling addicts. 

"Gaming" my arse. OK now known as e-gaming, and i-gaming (wtf?). 

The Isle of Man and the industry as a whole should just say 'gambling' and go full hog and rename such as heroin as 'happyin' or something like that. I knew a drug dealer that insisted his trade was to bring happiness to people. Sure they were happy when he'd be popping round to see his customers and sure he was happy counting his wads of grubby (it was mostly literally grubby for reasons I don't understand) cash at the end of his rounds.

Similarly I know a few people who workd in the 'gaming' insustry. They only see the inside of their plush office, nice car nice house and nice holidays etc, but I degress.

Edited by Barlow

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They wont like an active charge pressing regulator hovering around, all those bent firms will be off, and it'll turn out that that will be all of them.

Lol

Are you suggesting that announcement and decision is linked to the King Gaming saga?  Clueless 

20 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I knew a drug dealer that insisted his trade was to bring happiness to people. Sure they were happy when he'd be popping round to see his customers and sure he was happy counting his wads of grubby (it was mostly literally grubby for reasons I don't understand) cash at the end of his rounds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Barlow said:

But good news for potential gambling addicts. 

"Gaming" my arse. OK now known as e-gaming, and i-gaming (wtf?). 

The Isle of Man and the industry as a whole should just say 'gambling' and go full hog and rename such as heroin as 'happyin' or something like that. I knew a drug dealer that insisted his trade was to bring happiness to people. Sure they were happy when he'd be popping round to see his customers and sure he was happy counting his wads of grubby (it was mostly literally grubby for reasons I don't understand) cash at the end of his rounds.

Similarly I know a few people who workd in the 'gaming' insustry. They only see the inside of their plush office, nice car nice house and nice holidays etc, but I degress.

Actually bad news for players as the Isle of Man at least has a modicum of player protection measures in place. The company in question isn’t shutting down. Just moving. The same way some others did. Good luck enforcing responsible gambling policies when the support office is in Cambodia. 

It was called gambling at the start and at some point someone started calling it egaming. The lines between gambling and gaming have gotten blurred over time, with loot boxes, mobile games etc. There is a potential for harm with this activity just like with many others. Personally, I think social media is more dangerous and addictive these days and causes more damage than gambling. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was looking at the unemployment figures for e-gaming to see if the King collapse had any effect.  Oddly enough there wasn't:

Unemployed Persons Jul 24 Jun 24 May 24 Apr 24 Mar 24 Feb 24 Jan 24 Dec 23 Nov 23
E-Gaming 7 7 6 10 10 9 10 10 10
Vacancies 11 8 19 19 30 25 7 2 9

I can't help wondering if we overstate the effect it has on jobs and that, especially given we've effectively had full employment for years[1], even those affected seem to find a new role fairly quickly.  Alternatively the workforce is as mobile as the jobs.

[1]  Which makes you wonder why the government are always so keen to boast about job creation.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was looking at the unemployment figures for e-gaming to see if the King collapse had any effect.  Oddly enough there wasn't:

Unemployed Persons Jul 24 Jun 24 May 24 Apr 24 Mar 24 Feb 24 Jan 24 Dec 23 Nov 23
E-Gaming 7 7 6 10 10 9 10 10 10
Vacancies 11 8 19 19 30 25 7 2 9

I can't help wondering if we overstate the effect it has on jobs and that, especially given we've effectively had full employment for years[1], even those affected seem to find a new role fairly quickly.  Alternatively the workforce is as mobile as the jobs.

[1]  Which makes you wonder why the government are always so keen to boast about job creation.

How do they define this category? If it’s licensed companies only then no wonder there’s little impact. 

• Like 1