Firm closing

finlo

5 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

How do they define this category? If it’s licensed companies only then no wonder there’s little impact. 

I think it's self-defined to some extent ("I'm looking for jobs in X") supported by employment history.  But there's no real change in what could be related categories either such as "Other Business Services" either.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was looking at the unemployment figures for e-gaming to see if the King collapse had any effect.  Oddly enough there wasn't:

Unemployed Persons Jul 24 Jun 24 May 24 Apr 24 Mar 24 Feb 24 Jan 24 Dec 23 Nov 23
E-Gaming 7 7 6 10 10 9 10 10 10
Vacancies 11 8 19 19 30 25 7 2 9

I can't help wondering if we overstate the effect it has on jobs and that, especially given we've effectively had full employment for years[1], even those affected seem to find a new role fairly quickly.  Alternatively the workforce is as mobile as the jobs.

[1]  Which makes you wonder why the government are always so keen to boast about job creation.

You would need to know total employment (and ideally salary band) in egaming to have an idea of trend really .. people in many areas move between sectors wherever the job/pay is, as core skills (finance/IT/project management) are often transferable.

I know people at Derivco, one of the biggest (Microgaming company), who are going through a redundancy process at the moment.

They had to scrap the initial plans as too many of them accepted voluntary redundancy (with a nice payoff) and now there's going back and forward. There are some jobs still on the 9-5 being offered but it's expected they will be limited and much in demand. The rest of them they're offering shift work. Not ideal for most of them as they have kids. 

Whilst I get that some people are totally anti-establishment/corporates, I find it amusing that some are so against gambling. I get it can cause misery and ruin lives, but so does alcohol. Yet most of them are quite happy to consume that. Some folk are quite capable of gambling and not overspending and some do it just for fun. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I know people at Derivco, one of the biggest (Microgaming company), who are going through a redundancy process at the moment.

They had to scrap the initial plans as too many of them accepted voluntary redundancy (with a nice payoff) and now there's going back and forward. There are some jobs still on the 9-5 being offered but it's expected they will be limited and much in demand. The rest of them they're offering shift work. Not ideal for most of them as they have kids. 

Whilst I get that some people are totally anti-establishment/corporates, I find it amusing that some are so against gambling. I get it can cause misery and ruin lives, but so does alcohol. Yet most of them are quite happy to consume that. Some folk are quite capable of gambling and not overspending and some do it just for fun. 

Unfortunately gambling has led to many suicides, fraud, jail sentences for theft, families splitting up, houses lost etc and it’s getting worse 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Unfortunately gambling has led to many suicides, fraud, jail sentences for theft, families splitting up, houses lost etc and it’s getting worse 

.....and the knock on effects of alcohol can be just as bed, or drugs. Yet a pint and a joint are perfectly acceptable in some eyes. You could say the exact same about most, if not all of those as issues arising from these. 

Edited by jackwhite

My advice to anyone working in the gaming industry over here is to either re-train or move to Malta or the Far East. 

The days are numbered here. Look at the evidence..

70s/80s…dozens of banks located here. All gone apart from the big 4.

80/90s..almost every 6 months a new offshore life company established. All gone apart from a handful that have swallowed the rest’s closed books.

00’s…gaming…came exploding into the job market, share of GDP grew exponentially…and slowly..boom.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

My advice to anyone working in the gaming industry over here is to either re-train or move to Malta or the Far East. 

The days are numbered here. Look at the evidence..

70s/80s…dozens of banks located here. All gone apart from the big 4.

80/90s..almost every 6 months a new offshore life company established. All gone apart from a handful that have swallowed the rest’s closed books.

00’s…gaming…came exploding into the job market, share of GDP grew exponentially…and slowly..boom.

Clearly all related.

The popularity of butter has been increasing since the early 2000's, matching the rise in the egaming sector. If we and eat a lot more butter (supporting manx farmers at the same time) we can all do our part to keep the egaming sector alive.

article-2536563-1A86D8CB00000578-987_634x503.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Clearly all related.

The popularity of butter has been increasing since the early 2000's, matching the rise in the egaming sector. If we and eat a lot more butter (supporting manx farmers at the same time) we can all do our part to keep the egaming sector alive.

Have you just got a job at DED?

On 9/15/2024 at 3:07 PM, Roger Mexico said:

I was looking at the unemployment figures for e-gaming to see if the King collapse had any effect.  Oddly enough there wasn't:

Unemployed Persons Jul 24 Jun 24 May 24 Apr 24 Mar 24 Feb 24 Jan 24 Dec 23 Nov 23
E-Gaming 7 7 6 10 10 9 10 10 10
Vacancies 11 8 19 19 30 25 7 2 9

I can't help wondering if we overstate the effect it has on jobs and that, especially given we've effectively had full employment for years[1], even those affected seem to find a new role fairly quickly.  Alternatively the workforce is as mobile as the jobs.

[1]  Which makes you wonder why the government are always so keen to boast about job creation.

I would guess most at King were on Visas - and simply left.  No recourse to public funds (i.e. JSA) for most Visa holders, so no point registering even if they did stay as they would need to find alternative employment to be able to afford to live (or leave).