Firm closing

finlo

On 9/22/2024 at 12:19 PM, Derek Flint said:

Is that the oldest building in Douglas? 

I believed the oldest building in Douglas was on the junction of Victoria Road/Princes Road, on the north side. As late as 20 years ago you couldn't do any work to it whatsoever without the ok from the authorities (listed buildings?). The original building was supposed to have been built over the crossing of key lines or some such thing. Anyway, then the developers came along and it was gone, quick as a flash.This would have been beyond the outskirts of Douglas in 1800s.

ETA: 1700s and before. The top of the cliff above what was the beach at Castle Mona Avenue had some impressive mansions. (Parts of sea wall can be seen today behind the avenue)

Edited by Casta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Casta said:

I believed the oldest building in Douglas was on the junction of Victoria Road/Princes Road, on the north side. As late as 20 years ago you couldn't do any work to it whatsoever without the ok from the authorities (listed buildings?). The original building was supposed to have been built over the crossing of key lines or some such thing. Anyway, then the developers came along and it was gone, quick as a flash.This would have been beyond the outskirts of Douglas in 1800s.

I remember reading it was St. Matthew's Church, which goes back to around 1700 ish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

what about the towers on South Quay where the French Spy who has supposed to have escaped napoleon  lived just by the bridge  start of leigh terrace 

What the.....

I always wondered about that and thought it must have a story. But that sounds particularly mental.

35 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I remember reading it was St. Matthew's Church, which goes back to around 1700 ish.

That was Old St Matthew's which was in a slightly different position and built in 1708, but it was replaced in about 1900 by the current building.  Full story is here:

http://www.stmatthewsiom.org/pages/history_oldstmatthews.htm

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

That looks to me that 1715 is Isola.

Tinpot's map comes from the listing document (as Scott's Bistro) from 1982 when it and three properties in Church Street became the first buildings to be registered in Douglas.  The full document, which contains a lot more of the history is here:

https://www.gov.im/media/632051/0500021regbldscottsbistro.pdf

and you can look up the one for the others (and any other registered building) from here:

https://www.gov.im/categories/planning-and-building-control/registered-buildings-and-conservation-areas/is-my-building-registered/

• Thanks 1