Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Why not just stop at the first sentence rather than berate Glover for daring to raise the issue, even though it's of concern to his constituents?  Is the DfE involved in some way and wants to keep things quiet?

Because, as he said, it really isn't appropriate to comment on the circumstances of a private business in Tynwald. It would seem that concerned constituents have contacted Glover, and he has been given such information as is currently available. Instead of simply relaying the information back to said concerned constituents, he has made a spectacle of it in the chamber, and this is what has ruffled feathers. Of course, there may be more to it than merely financial issues, but equally there may not be. That's just speculation.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There's always been something a bit odd about Haven. Remember a few years ago they built some small homes in Ramsey near the shipyard that got sold to RTC in the end? That was fishy as fuck. 

They weren't the only ones though. Dandara had some slow sales and touted them to RTC about 2 years ago and they were taken up. If you can't sell them, offer them to the LA.

I seem to remember some being turned down as well though, that was a couple of years back too, maybe not in Ramsey.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They weren't the only ones though. Dandara had some slow sales and touted them to RTC about 2 years ago and they were taken up. If you can't sell them, offer them to the LA.

I seem to remember some being turned down as well though, that was a couple of years back too, maybe not in Ramsey.

maybe this issue is worthy of referring to the public accounts committee for further examination  together with any public money they may have had ,something not quite right on the face of this 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Gas central heating. Do they already have approval for the plans?

Amazingly yes, planning approved it, and said all the concerns about collapsing the road above and cutting off the lower part of the village weren't a matter for them, that was for building control. Which is absolutely fucking bonkers.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Thanks, that makes sense, hopefully it can be sorted out soon.  But what I thought interesting was Johnston's reaction:

However, the minister said he was “not in position to talk about a specific business”.

He added: “I think that will not be appropriate clearly that the honourable member has highlighted an issue. I’m also aware that officers have directly contacted you on that and given an explanation of as much as we know at this stage.

“My understanding is that there will there are contingencies in place. We shall hopefully see those that development continue, but I cannot comment any further on that at this stage.”

Why not just stop at the first sentence rather than berate Glover for daring to raise the issue, even though it's of concern to his constituents?  Is the DfE involved in some way and wants to keep things quiet? 

(Obviously screaming "Nothing to see here!"  is always counterproductive and presumably why Turton picked up on the story.  But the DfE lot aren't that bright at the best of times).

Why is Glover raising it in Keys if he has already had the answer.

Everyone knows the answer anyway and even if they don’t why is a private business the subject of a keys question.

Waste of house time and just an attempt from Glover to impress his constituents by being seen to be doing something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Wonder how much the Manx Development Corporation chucked Haven? And whether we’ll ever see the money or the houses?

It would certainly explain the tetchiness.

Why would MDC have given Haven any money?  It’s not in their remit and I doubt would even be legal, plus why would they?  What would they gain?

Do you understand what MDC is?

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Amazingly yes, planning approved it, and said all the concerns about collapsing the road above and cutting off the lower part of the village weren't a matter for them, that was for building control. Which is absolutely fucking bonkers.

Strange but true, and similar to the Old Laxey Hill/end of Prom thing that I think @Roger Mexico is alluding to above. They seem to give planning permission for ridiculous constructions on perilous sites, then everyone takes a big step away from it when it goes pear-shaped.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

Why is Glover raising it in Keys if he has already had the answer.

Everyone knows the answer anyway and even if they don’t why is a private business the subject of a keys question.

Waste of house time and just an attempt from Glover to impress his constituents by being seen to be doing something.

For most questions raised in Tynwald, the member already knows the answer or it's easily obtainable. Sometimes it's justifiable to raise awareness of matters to the wider public and media, but it's definitely abused.