Firm closing

finlo

37 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Another Manx institution about to go too from what I hear. Selling up as opposed to going out of business but not sure the brand itself will survive.

Will be in the news in the next week or so.

I heard that too, those good old Manx institutions/ brands, you cant even name them, every one knows already.

🙂

47 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Another Manx institution about to go too from what I hear. Selling up as opposed to going out of business but not sure the brand itself will survive.

Is it the one starting with C ( selling shoes etc) on Douglas High Street 

Have been there a few times and have never seen anyone else there..

Edited by mad_manx

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

Some sort of Taco place, not sure where the staff are coming from or the 30/40 that Jaks new restaurant need?

I would agree but surprisingly was amazed at how everyone managed over TT for staff. Loads in Bushys and 1886 . I know theres students around but still surprised. The new Jaks/Barbary Coast looking for staff too . 

Edited by Numbnuts

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

The sooner IOM Government appreciates how bad it’s been for a lot of traders here the sooner we might be able to move on as an economy. But they seem to think that as they threw a few quid at them over lockdown they’re the messiahs. There is so much slowly unraveling at the moment is quite a bad way. Some hard lessons are going to be leaned by governments across the world concerning just how idiotic it is to shut down the whole economy just because there’s a new case of flu about. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Curphys then!

Sadly it’s always empty. But if it is it certainly wont be the last. I see on Facebook even the Kirk Michael Chippy is selling up its entire mobile chippy operations. The last few times I’ve seen them at Mikes Motors in Castletown there’s hardly anyone there buying chips anymore. At £6 for a fish who has the disposable cash to pop out for their tea anymore and at £2 a litre for fuel who can afford to lug that thing around half the IOM to sell to a dwindling buyer audience? There will be plenty others yet. 

Edited by Steady Eddie

11 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Sadly it’s always empty. But if it is it certainly wont be the last. I see on Facebook even the Kirk Michael Chippy is selling up its entire mobile chippy operations. The last few times I’ve seen them at Mikes Motors in Castletown there’s hardly anyone there buying chips anymore. At £6 for a fish who has the disposable cash to pop out for their tea anymore and at £2 a litre for fuel who can afford to lug that thing around half the IOM to sell to a dwindling buyer audience? There will be 

But people still have money to spend on KFC which is not exactly cheap 

I think  one issue is lack of consistency  from the independent food joints.

At least with the chain stores ( dominos / McD and now KFC ) you know what you are  going to get.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

But people still have money to spend on KFC which is not exactly cheap 

I think  one issue is lack of consistency  from the independent food joints.

Yes agree but I was surprised to see them offering the whole thing up for sale on Facebook. I’d rather buy their chips than a sweaty bucket from KFC. But certainly they look a lot less busy when you go past on the days they’re in Castletown and there is literally nowhere else to eat in Castletown in the evening if you just want a cheap fast meal.