Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, finlo said:

Curphys then!

It isn't Curphy's however it's widely known that they are selling up anyway. Their building has been up for sale for quite some time and they are certainly winding down the business. This is the owners anyway. Would imagine it will be handed onto the son (who works there) in some capacity.

It's hospitality. I won't say any more than that and it will be known soon enough.

5 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Another Manx institution about to go too from what I hear. Selling up as opposed to going out of business but not sure the brand itself will survive.

I would ask if it's the Isle of Man Government selling up but we all know they sold out years ago. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

Sadly it’s always empty. But if it is it certainly wont be the last. I see on Facebook even the Kirk Michael Chippy is selling up its entire mobile chippy operations. The last few times I’ve seen them at Mikes Motors in Castletown there’s hardly anyone there buying chips anymore. At £6 for a fish who has the disposable cash to pop out for their tea anymore and at £2 a litre for fuel who can afford to lug that thing around half the IOM to sell to a dwindling buyer audience? There will be plenty others yet. 

Prospect chippy always seems busy & with more new hospitality businesses opening it seems confidence is still there.

Plenty of jobs for anyone losing theirs at present 

13 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

I see on Facebook even the Kirk Michael Chippy is selling up its entire mobile chippy operations. 

He had already downsized some years ago when he sold the big trailer to someone in the UK, on a good day i’m sure it’s highly profitable but there are days mostly due to the weather when hardly anyone turns up, if it was strong winds/stormy he’d typically cancel (sensible decision, not knocking him for that at all.

A good venture for someone I’m sure but bloody hard work, I’ve no doubt he could’ve earned more as head fryer at another Chippy, so you’d need to have a strong desire to be your own boss I think.

19 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

He had already downsized some years ago when he sold the big trailer to someone in the UK, on a good day i’m sure it’s highly profitable but there are days mostly due to the weather when hardly anyone turns up, if it was strong winds/stormy he’d typically cancel (sensible decision, not knocking him for that at all.

A good venture for someone I’m sure but bloody hard work, I’ve no doubt he could’ve earned more as head fryer at another Chippy, so you’d need to have a strong desire to be your own boss I think.

Didn't he sell it to someone here ..There is A Michael Chippy van which as far as I know was one of the former kirk Michael Chippy ones.. 

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The one on Castletown by Station Garage isn't a Kirk Michael or just plain Michael chippy van. It's something else. They also give you way more chips than you need.

That not owned by the same person as the car sales place behind it?

19 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

Sadly it’s always empty. But if it is it certainly wont be the last. I see on Facebook even the Kirk Michael Chippy is selling up its entire mobile chippy operations. The last few times I’ve seen them at Mikes Motors in Castletown there’s hardly anyone there buying chips anymore. At £6 for a fish who has the disposable cash to pop out for their tea anymore and at £2 a litre for fuel who can afford to lug that thing around half the IOM to sell to a dwindling buyer audience? There will be plenty others yet. 

I think there are other reasons behind KMC wanting to sell the business. I’ve bought fish and chips a few times and the food and quality is good. The prices for fish and chips and other fast foods are going to increase, it will get to the position whereby it will become a real treat every few months as opposed to weekly or fortnightly. 

44 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The one on Castletown by Station Garage isn't a Kirk Michael or just plain Michael chippy van. It's something else. They also give you way more chips than you need.

Strange bloke though. And he needs to clean it up.