Firm closing

finlo

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

I would think a lot of rationale will be mrs Duncan’s desire to retire and children not interested in taking over plus cheap imports which lots buy , creamery will be next if local dairy products aren’t supported 

Laxey flour mills will close as Ramsey bakery took nearly all supplies 

It could do with someone like the IOM creamery taking it over.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Gladys you must be a very young spring chicken if you do not remember Batesons it was on Strand Street on the left past the Picture house opposite the Home and Colonial heading towards Fred Bridsons.    Remember the little tripe shop just a bit further along on the other side.   Quirks the bakers were on the right hand side too.   

No, not really.  I remember the tripe shop (and the one in Nelson Street), but not Batesons.  I thought it was current when you referred to it. 

BTW I am no spring chicken, but lived across for the majority of the 80s and 90s into the early 00s, so mine are really childhood/youth memories.  

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I often wondered how they managed to compete. Their bread was among the most expensive in the supermarket and seemingly relied on Buy Local goodwill. Next to it was cheap stuff from the UK for as little as 40p a loaf, when RB was 1.50 or more. Looked like a tough business to be in. 

Honestly, I don't think I have ever chose an imported loaf over ramsey bakery. Its absolutely spot on and I've never looked at the price either.

Also spent a few quid in Mr Bs over the years and will be sad to see that go, although might be good for the waistline 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hooly said:

Honestly, I don't think I have ever chose an imported loaf over ramsey bakery. Its absolutely spot on and I've never looked at the price either.

Also spent a few quid in Mr Bs over the years and will be sad to see that go, although might be good for the waistline 

Some people can’t choose to buy local. They have to buy what they can afford and if the local bread costs more than 90% of the imports then that’s going to hurt RB business. 

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Ramsey Bakery won't bring 500k visitors a year.

Unless we run the rails through the production floor maybe...

As it once was...

Edited by GD4ELI

8 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

That as typical is factually wrong, I as Head Brewer at Okells at that time never ever wanted to scrap the Law, I wanted an amendment to allow to produce Lagers in the continental way which had other cereals besides Barley

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

That as typical is factually wrong, I as Head Brewer at Okells at that time never ever wanted to scrap the Law, I wanted an amendment to allow to produce Lagers in the continental way which had other cereals besides Barley

Well that's the beauty of Wikipedia, you can edit it to the truth and as you can back up the fact you are MC it should stand the edit.
924815988_Screenshot2022-04-02at21_04_19.png.1414d5f3b57140706434ab5522f2d22d.png

26 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

That’s one way of looking at it, but a different aspect, if our government protected local produce and did not allow imported goods full of preservatives that cost less in. Local might be able to sell it at a lower cost. Imported cheap bread tastes like cardboard. 

They can't the UK won't allow it we tried with beer for the breweries on Island

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

That’s one way of looking at it, but a different aspect, if our government protected local produce and did not allow imported goods full of preservatives that cost less in. Local might be able to sell it at a lower cost. Imported cheap bread tastes like cardboard. 

And then punish the already struggling low - middle income earners who are literally at breaking point?