Firm closing

finlo

On 7/2/2022 at 11:58 AM, The Voice of Reason said:
On 7/2/2022 at 11:52 AM, monasqueen said:

(Tesco have upped their beer prices, too, with no "bulk" buy offers.)

But they are currently running a promotion of 25% off 6 (or more) bottles of wine

True (until today) but this does not apply to beer!

• 4 weeks later...

And back to the Bakery closing.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/noa-site-on-quay-will-become-a-work-cafe-556735

Very interesting part about "working with some local farmers in an experiment to grow heritage varieties of wheat without the use of pesticides or fertiliser.

Although the yield will be approximately half of that of a modern wheat variety grown using current farming methods, it will command a higher price and it will save farmers from having to pay for fertiliser which has quadrupled in price over the last 12 months."

I like what Miles & Pippa are doing.  Good luck to them.

• Like 2

Just now, The Phantom said:

Very interesting part about "working with some local farmers in an experiment to grow heritage varieties of wheat without the use of pesticides or fertiliser.

Although the yield will be approximately half of that of a modern wheat variety grown using current farming methods, it will command a higher price and it will save farmers from having to pay for fertiliser which has quadrupled in price over the last 12 months."

They've got big plans. Don't want to say too much but they've also made significant investment in new machinery to bring in a new product line. 

It's not exactly a trade secret but would rather wait until it becomes public.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

They've got big plans. Don't want to say too much but they've also made significant investment in new machinery to bring in a new product line. 

More expensive bread to break your teeth on no doubt.

Edited by Wavey Davey
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Higher price bread will work for a small proportion of the GMP. 

Really we need to be getting farmers to grow the highest yielding varieties available. 

But all the same, good luck to them.

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Higher price bread will work for a small proportion of the GMP. 

Really we need to be getting farmers to grow the highest yielding varieties available. 

But all the same, good luck to them.

True.  It was more to do with the increase in fertilizer prices and the fact that these breeds do not need it.  It might actually balance out if fertilizer prices keep going up.  Some farmers I know have said how ridiculous the price rises are and are wiping out any profits they had.  Some however quite shrewdly bought the fertilizer on forward contracts 6 months + ago. 

It's a big problem in developing world.   

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Only had a couple of their loaves and that was enough. Not the best bread around

I've been told sourdough is the cheapest to make. Don't know how accurate that is.

Cost v taste for me it just doesn't match up. I don't buy anything from them tbh. Do think it's overpriced.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

You mean the brewery or micro brewery they are setting up? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

You mean the brewery or micro brewery they are setting up? 

Yip.

As I said not common knowledge. 

Would imagine the plan is to make the beer from the waste bread. 300 litre vessel from what I hear. 

Not sure where it's going though. Thought they were making space in market hall but can't see it now with this Santander plan. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, quilp said:

I wasn't surprised to learn that Ramsey Bakery used 80% of the output from Laxey flour mill. How is the mill coping now? And what of its future, will the business survive? Taxpayer bail-out? 

Hopefully not. Close it down and move the work into a warehouse on an industrial estate. Far more efficient. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1