Firm closing

finlo

32 minutes ago, quilp said:

I wasn't surprised to learn that Ramsey Bakery used 80% of the output from Laxey flour mill. How is the mill coping now? And what of its future, will the business survive? Taxpayer bail-out? 

Certainly in its recent past, like the Meat Plant, it used to post significant annual losses.

47 minutes ago, quilp said:

I wasn't surprised to learn that Ramsey Bakery used 80% of the output from Laxey flour mill. How is the mill coping now? And what of its future, will the business survive? Taxpayer bail-out? 

From what I hear the have a load of grain going rotting in the silo. All still being paid though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Ideally they'll just tear it down before some idiots like the Victorian Society try to slap a preservation notice on it. 

It's a cool old building, but I suspect that tearing it down would ultimately cheaper than renovating and converting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Miles thinks a secret is only telling one person at a time. 

I’ve just paid the HUGE sum of £3.30 for a Noa takeaway cinnamon swirl from Shoprite. I’ve often seen them and couldn’t believe anyone would pay such a comparatively large sum of money for a small cinnamon bun. Turns out it wasn’t so small - and was probably the best cinnamon bun I’ve eaten this side of the Atlantic.

£3.30 tho…

Ha Ha. That's like the bagels. They seem expensive but one will keep you full all day. They must be made of dark matter or something. 

They end up being good value for money. 

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Miles thinks a secret is only telling one person at a time. 

I’ve just paid the HUGE sum of £3.30 for a Noa takeaway cinnamon swirl from Shoprite. I’ve often seen them and couldn’t believe anyone would pay such a comparatively large sum of money for a small cinnamon bun. Turns out it wasn’t so small - and was probably the best cinnamon bun I’ve eaten this side of the Atlantic.

£3.30 tho…

Still cheaper than going across the Atlantic for one (cinnamon bun, that is). 

• Haha 1

Have to say the open doors of the bakehouse onto Fort Street letting in all sorts of fumes and crap from passing/queueing cars has tended to put me off. Maybe it adds flavour, I don't know.

And don't get me started on the grocer's apostrophes on their door signs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I’m here right now (flat white, cinnamon bun) and can’t say I’d noticed the fumes. It is a monsoon out there however so perhaps that’s why. 

Will check their apostrophes on the way out. I taught Miles and take it very personally. :)

Good's In, Good's Out

Who actually owns the Laxey Mills?. I notice our Minister states that the Gov is not a shareholder, yet I thought it was wholly owned by our Government,  Is the Lady being deceptive

Clare Barber, she say---: ‘However, the role for my department is a tricky one in this situation. Our aim is to support the wheat producers, but we are not shareholders, or involved with the strategic direction or operations of Laxey Glen Mill.

21 minutes ago, mollag said:

Who actually owns the Laxey Mills?. I notice our Minister states that the Gov is not a shareholder, yet I thought it was wholly owned by our Government,  Is the Lady being deceptive

Clare Barber, she say---: ‘However, the role for my department is a tricky one in this situation. Our aim is to support the wheat producers, but we are not shareholders, or involved with the strategic direction or operations of Laxey Glen Mill.

Farmers cooperative (I think)

31 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Farmers cooperative (I think)

No.  According to the accounts:

14  The Isle of Man Government is the ultimate controlling party, by ownership of 100% of shares and the ability to appoint the board.

In actual fact, as we keep on being told that the IOMG isn't a single legal entity, I suspect this actually means that the shares are owned and controlled by the Treasury.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1