Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I meant sold across in bulk. 

Same reason why local brewers don't get local barley malted shipping costs are horrendous by the time the wheat was shipped across it would be too expensive

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Same reason why local brewers don't get local barley malted shipping costs are horrendous by the time the wheat was shipped across it would be too expensive

Sorry, I don't understand.  Why would shipping costs impact local brewers getting local barley malted?  Do you mean sending barley across for malting then back? 

It also strikes me that if we have a 2 year stock of wheat isn't it better to get it sold across even if the shipping costs wipe some of the profit? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Sorry, I don't understand.  Why would shipping costs impact local brewers getting local barley malted?  Do you mean sending barley across for malting then back? 

It also strikes me that if we have a 2 year stock of wheat isn't it better to get it sold across even if the shipping costs wipe some of the profit? 

You can not malt barley on the Island as there is not a Malting plant, so has to be shipped to the UK. As for local wheat it is already more expensive than UK wheat, add on shipping costs who would want to buy it, so waste of time

1 minute ago, alpha-acid said:

You can not malt barley on the Island as there is not a Malting plant, so has to be shipped to the UK. As for local wheat it is already more expensive than UK wheat, add on shipping costs who would want to buy it, so waste of time

Thanks for your explanation re malting.

Re wheat, surely it is a simple market decision?  You have a huge stock likely to waste.  What do you do?  You would sell it, surely, at the market rate even if that was below your cost because you would recoup a portion of the cost which, if the stock spoils, you will never recover.   You would also reduce your future purchase price to reflect the price in the market you are selling to.  If there is no market here, why is a higher price than the market that is available will stand being paid to suppliers? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kopek said:

He's prob referring to the objection to the Bar extension, tho I think that was a citizen.

RTC do object to developments in Leyzaire!!! Which would still help Ramsey business?

Not so sure they objected to that as they wanted to move the boundaries to trouser the rates from it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

It’s in Laxey. I’m not sure RTC would have much of an interest. And RTC don’t object to anything and everything - only things that haven’t gone through due process - as is their duty. 

do keep up at the back 007, it was suggested a few posts back to move it to Ramsey...:whistling:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If they can find a way to do it, give it to the countries struggling for grain now. If we don't need it, shame not to???

Doesn't happen often as that could dump market prices. Afaik many countries would rather dump it at sea 😞