Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

Doesn't happen often as that could dump market prices. Afaik many countries would rather dump it at sea 😞

The world of accountants and market traders.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

Surely not since Ramsey Bakery closed? 

No, they may well be overstocked at present, this was 2008  I did contract work there, I'm know not if it continued.  PS The Mill was importing in 2020 also.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/island-faces-wheat-shortage/?fbclid=IwAR2gBrVGshM1bxZi-EXrNOG3znAq6HRrar4PDFhfi4hcUL5m_d-6boXorog

Edited by mollag
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2022 at 8:25 PM, Kopek said:

He's prob referring to the objection to the Bar extension, tho I think that was a citizen.

RTC do object to developments in Leyzaire!!! Which would still help Ramsey business?

The Commissioners have never supported it from the off though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kopek said:

RTC have a p[roblem with the closed down Pubs though. Might seem odd to support new trendy Bar and complain about closed old fashioned Pubs?

You're coming from the wrong point of view mate, as if those that run councils and government are somehow reasonable people!

If you mean 'problem' from the point of they have loads of them and that they can't reopen as pubs, then I agree. Not sure what you mean otherwise. 

If that's what you mean then I agree with you, it's mental. Ramsey could definitely be doing with livening up but, as is obvious from my previous comments on Fynoderee, I like their facility and have used enjoyed it on a couple of occasions in the past, and will again in future. I'm also objective enough to say their spirits are overpriced.

Something like what they have where it's a nice facility, aimed at people responsibly enjoying a night out, should be given every chance to thrive, not hindered. Not at the expense of everyone else but the locals should also be reasonable as well (which I don't believe the current objector to their plans is being). 

Edited by jackwhite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2022 at 7:56 PM, alpha-acid said:

You can not malt barley on the Island as there is not a Malting plant, so has to be shipped to the UK. As for local wheat it is already more expensive than UK wheat, add on shipping costs who would want to buy it, so waste of time

How vital is malted barley on island? Could a malting plant be added to a new mill if it is absolutely necessary for local beer production?

Beer is food so it should be included in the forthcoming DEFA Sustainable Food Policy [an external consultants report is apparently underway]

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

RTC have a p[roblem with the closed down Pubs though. Might seem odd to support new trendy Bar and complain about closed old fashioned Pubs?

North & West Area Plan is currently open for consultation. Anyone with views on closed Ramsey pubs should make a contribution

Any empty properties should be converted into much needed residential accommodation, in my view

57 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

How vital is malted barley on island? Could a malting plant be added to a new mill if it is absolutely necessary for local beer production?

Beer is food so it should be included in the forthcoming DEFA Sustainable Food Policy [an external consultants report is apparently underway]

Entirely vital for the alcohol making businesses. Anyone making certain types of confectionary too. 

However the truth is it's much cheaper to buy it in which is why most Scotch distilleries don't have their own malting floors these days. There are also very qualified professional maltsters, would the quality be the same? A concern.

• Like 1

A Malting plant built on the Island certainly would loose money as most Barley grown here is not suitable for Malting. In the UK a farmer takes a gamble basically whether to grow malting barley or feed barley, feed barley gives a higher yield in terms of Tonnes than Malting Barley but Malting Barley fetches a higher price per tonne, but if the weather is bad malting barley can also be useless for malting. The Nitrogen content becomes too high and so useless for brewing.

Malting is an Art and Science in itself just like Brewing

Edited by alpha-acid
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, jackwhite said:

You're coming from the wrong point of view mate, as if those that run councils and government are somehow reasonable people!

Elected officials have to try to reflect the views of their people, not always correctly?

It would seem odd to complain about the closed down pubs while supporting the new bars? I daresay some of RTCs have been to Fynoderree, may like it but have to balance their official stance.

The problem with Manx pubs is that they are, pretty much, brewery owned, competing with each other. Would seem wise to try to concentrate people to fewer properties as long as there is adequate capacity overall.

Does Ramsey have capacity problem? Is the loss of a few pubs really such a problem?

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

Elected officials have to try to reflect the views of their people, not always correctly?

It would seem odd to complain about the closed down pubs while supporting the new bars? I daresay some of RTCs have been to Fynoderree, may like it but have to balance their official stance.

The problem with Manx pubs is that they are, pretty much, brewery owned, competing with each other. Would seem wise to try to concentrate people to fewer properties as long as there is adequate capacity overall.

Does Ramsey have capacity problem? Is the loss of a few pubs really such a problem?

So you’re happy for them to stifle competition? This is literally the only place in Ramsey I’d go personally for a night out. I’m sure there are those living in the area who would like some decent options.

As for representing the views of their people, do you think the government reflect  your views? They certainly don’t mine. 

They also have duty to try and generate more income by way of rates for the area but their attitude in Fynoderee will just put potential business owners off. 

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

They also have duty to try and generate more income by way of rates for the area but their attitude in Fynoderee will just put potential business owners off. 

It’s Ramsey so the commissioners attitude will be driven by nothing more than - Paul’s loaded. He’s not making any more money off decisions we make. That will show him. We’re happy to have a shit empty carpark instead of a posh outside drinking venue - because it’s Ramsey. 

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder where Ramsey is headed myself...I think the pub/nightlife situation is a bit chicken and egg now, there's not the trade (through socio-economic changes) to support the number of pubs that there used to be (25 including hotel bars at one point); conversely, without the right type of attractions it's unlikely to pick up.

People largely steer clear of brewery houses because of the price structure, the one or two private houses that remain mop up the trade. A lot of other people leave the town for their entertainment.

Ramsey is a quiet place of a weekend night these days. RTC should be doing everything they can to support anything that helps reverse the trend.

• Like 1