Firm closing

finlo

13 minutes ago, Bandits said:

To be honest I’m not bothered too much about that. Everything I have now is ultra low power usage and solar for the hot water. It’s food prices that are really going to hit. The Co-op put all its prices up about 20% across the board yesterday as new supplies came in. 

If they can't get you on the unit cost they'll have you on the standing charge!

Also there seems to be zero issues in getting a loaf when you need it despite whats of people thought. I dont eat much bread tbh so cant be arsed going into town to Tesco or M and S just pick up a loaf wherever I am when I need one. Got to say I'm noticing the leccie rises . All a bit worrying for many I'm sure .  

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But, as was discussed on a previous thread, there are clearly also those in the area who are worried about noise from an outside licenced area operating year-round and seven days a week well into the evenings.

....and as we as discussed on a previous thread, they were given their chance initially to put their case forward and it was dismissed.

Then one of them doesn't like that decision so appeals. To be honest that shouldn't have been allowed as he didn't make any new claims, just the original ones.

There are old folk all over the island that don't want bars or clubs. If you've been to the place, you'd realise it's not like that and likely never would be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Got to say I'm noticing the leccie rises . All a bit worrying for many I'm sure .  

Vicious rumours circulating about further huge gas price rises too, I was being told about another 40% yesterday too 🙁

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Vicious rumours circulating about further huge gas price rises too, I was being told about another 40% yesterday too 🙁

I heard the same. Very worrying times.  Dr Alex seems to have burried his head in the sand and is now AWOL until October.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cissolt said:

I heard the same. Very worrying times.  Dr Alex seems to have burried his head in the sand and is now AWOL until October.

Allinson and Callister will be running for cover when half their constituents can’t afford to heat their homes. No amount of empty platitudes will prepare them for the anger. 

3 hours ago, Bandits said:

Allinson and Callister will be running for cover when half their constituents can’t afford to heat their homes. No amount of empty platitudes will prepare them for the anger. 

Their workers are going to be busy disconnecting everybody that can't pay aren't they?

19 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But, as was discussed on a previous thread, there are clearly also those in the area who are worried about noise from an outside licenced area operating year-round and seven days a week well into the evenings.

"Well into the evenings" becomes "well into the night" becomes "well into the morning" as has been found at Jacks and 1886 with their 3:30am weekend licences.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barlow said:

"Well into the evenings" becomes "well into the night" becomes "well into the morning" as has been found at Jacks and 1886 with their 3:30am weekend licences.

It does but it won't at Fynoderee. Why not actually let them do it first and then see if there's an issue? 

1886 and Jaks have a very different clientele and target market. I know some people on the Isle of Man may be staggered, but not every bar or person in a bar is exactly the same.

Besides, under the new licensing laws, you will be required to state your opening hours. Fynoderee are 11 at latest and I think (not entirely certain and can't be bothered going to look it all up) the use of the outside area was even earlier. 

Restrict it to 9pm which is a more than reasonable time if you have to. But to try and put the blocker on it completely is just a complete nonsense. 

What you have suggested above won't be possible under the imminent new licensing regime. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Besides, under the new licensing laws, you will be required to state your opening hours. Fynoderee are 11 at latest and I think (not entirely certain and can't be bothered going to look it all up) the use of the outside area was even earlier. 

As I pointed out in the comment on the other thread, they also applied for a licence to 12.30 am seven nights a week at about the same time.  There were no restrictions on use of the outside area, and without restrictions there would be nothing to prevent the same applying there.  Even if restrictions are added there's nothing to prevent them gradually being stretched, as indeed has happened with the distillery.  So you can see why locals might be cautious.

51 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As I pointed out in the comment on the other thread, they also applied for a licence to 12.30 am seven nights a week at about the same time.  There were no restrictions on use of the outside area, and without restrictions there would be nothing to prevent the same applying there.  Even if restrictions are added there's nothing to prevent them gradually being stretched, as indeed has happened with the distillery.  So you can see why locals might be cautious.

They did apply for a license to 1230, which isn't needed 7 days a week. I agree on that. I think they should have it though for Friday and Saturday.

As for having to close at that time in the Sunday, it's dark ages stuff. 

Rather than go in two footed could the commissioners not have approached Fynoderee to discuss it and try to come to some sort of agreement? Or is that far too sensible?

As for the restrictions 'gradually being stretched', that's just nonsense. It doesn't happen. If they apply for an extension you have to ask why and don't have to give it to them. I wouldn't beyond what they've asked for this time. As I said above too, the new licensing laws will require you to state your opening hours and I'd imagine the Alcohol Unit will have questions to ask if you are varying from them.