Firm closing

finlo

58 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Close Leece are closing

Their food was pretty nice, but it was also pretty expensive and I reckon they probably lost a lot of follow up business by charging £9.50 for a bacon and egg butty. 

A great shame but many many more to come yet. 

1 hour ago, manxfisherman said:

in the end all there will be is a giant Tesco and Amazon drones and it will be shit.

Those Amazon drones are tough as old boots and far too easy a target for sportsmanship!!!!

Surprised at Close Leece closing, they seemed to have and should have had a decent Lunch trade, retired folk etc. Not the sort of place to go for a Bacon butty? They can't do it for £3.50 like the Caff, why offer it???

Epernay was more 'niche' but seemed to have reasonable trade, apart from JW??? May re-appear? Who has the Bath n Bottle???

New tenant at the Jurby road place, friend, give it a try!!!

Sometimes these places closing can be good for the competition, these seemed to be two chaps running Leece, don't know if they were Family or Pro's brought in to get the place going? They seemed to disap0pear and perhaps a new chef, maybe that has had some affect?

It's a Pig Farm............. How many restaurants does  Bernard Mathews have!!!

1 hour ago, alpha-acid said:

Locally produced products are always going to cost more than Imported UK stuff, it is economies of scale, if people aren't willing to pay the extra then all local production business will close simple as that

It’s maybe not so much being willing to pay the extra but can’t afford to.

Was in the west  some months ago so thought we’d try Close Leece.

Were shocked by the pricing but equally the service wasn’t great. After waiting about twenty minutes after sitting ourselves down ( no sign of anyone showing us to a table) managed to catch a waitresses’ eye to order our food.

This itself took an inordinately long time to arrive at the table. Same story when trying to pay the bill. And the place was by no means packed.

The food was nice I would  say, no more than that, but the combination of pricing and service ensured we wouldn’t be going back. 

So there are other factors than price like service ( cleanliness etc, not an issue at Close Leece I hasten to add) which dissuade people from a repeat visit.
Had a similar experience as JW in respect of Eperney/ The Ocean

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

I went there to use the Farm Shop, and found the service poor, if not downright rude.  I asked the man behind the till which of the fresh veg were local, and he dismissively waved that he didn't know but it was marked.  Nothing was marked.  I never went back and see the menus (tasting menus, which normally means you can expect a high price) posted on FB, but after that experience was never tempted. 

It seems to be a bit of a precurser that if there is heavy advertising, a closure will soon follow.  I can understand why. 

• Like 1