Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

By March that oversupply of roles will have flipped back to an excess of job seekers chasing positions. 

It's been widely predicted that the cost of energy emergency and the cost of government crisis is going to be catastrophic and see numerous businesses closed... the only natural follow on from that will be levels of unemployment not seen for generations. Government should be preparing for this. But they're not. 

This is a harsh economic lesson that some on the island are going to be forced to learn. Just because something is 'local' doesn't mean it automatically justifies a premium price. 

Lots of jobs in IOMG. No experience or qualifications necessary either - even a quarter wit can do the job.

The rip off merchants will go under and with their pretentious prices they deserve to the government should not be tempted to help these people they have dug their own graves and I don’t think any staff will be out of work hospitality staff are at a premium and many positions are being filled by students atm.

• Like 3

I think these two places have been struggling since Covid. 

Close Leece is an ultra premium product in a really out of the way location. It needs very specific market conditions to exist. I had never been just because it was so out of the way and expensive. 

Epernay I've heard dreadful things about since it was under previous name and ownership, as mentioned above. 

I think restaurants in particular are in for a tough time. Bars will struggle.

It will take a very carefully thought out offering with excellent service to prosper going forward. However anyone coming into the market that isn't offering a new concept, well executed with good service simply won't survive.

Utility bills are a huge concern for any hospitality business and that won't change. 

It's going to be an interesting winter. I don't think it will be quite as catastrophic as many are predicting but yes, there will be casualties. Most of them you can predict at the moment.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The rip off merchants will go under and with their pretentious prices they deserve to the government should not be tempted to help these people they have dug their own graves and I don’t think any staff will be out of work hospitality staff are at a premium and many positions are being filled by students atm.

Can you clarify who or what you mean by 'rip off merchants'?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Businesses and everybody else at the moment are struggling with not only high fuel costs but also crippling Govt taxes and charges.

Govt has backed itself into a corner with its own expenses and costs, the only way out of this mess for everybody is for the Govt to turn a LONG overdue knife upon itself and pass those cuts on to the taxpayers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Businesses and everybody else at the moment are struggling with not only high fuel costs but also crippling Govt taxes and charges.

Govt has backed itself into a corner with its own expenses and costs, the only way out of this mess for everybody is for the Govt to turn a LONG overdue knife upon itself and pass those cuts on to the taxpayers.

It would require ten new departments and 2000 new CS to implement it though!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BriT said:

Just walk round the corner from Noa to The Caff. £4.50 for a milky coffee and a bacon bap cheapest in Douglas. These places will still have trade. 

Worth he greatest of respect, no thanks.

I would rather pay a bit more at somewhere like Noa’s.

That doesn’t mean you are wrong in what you do just highlighting that different people like different things.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Not every one is a "rip off merchant" as you so eloquently put it. Restaurants have been hit with unprecedented rises across the board. In a lot of cases they haven't put their prices up as it would be business suicide to do so. It's a pity that all you "knowledgeable experts" don't think before you comment.

11 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Not every one is a "rip off merchant" as you so eloquently put it. Restaurants have been hit with unprecedented rises across the board. In a lot of cases they haven't put their prices up as it would be business suicide to do so. It's a pity that all you "knowledgeable experts" don't think before you comment.

To be fair maybe we should let him clarify before hitting him with both barrels. 😂

I totally agree with what you say though. There's such a rush to condemn but no actual understanding of places. I know of a food place who have had to increase their prices, not by much, and have put up signs. They have had two people literally shouting abuse at the till when they have seen this notice!

27 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Worth he greatest of respect, no thanks.

I would rather pay a bit more at somewhere like Noa’s.

That doesn’t mean you are wrong in what you do just highlighting that different people like different things.

You can always have a take out if you don’t want to eat with the losers and the toothless hags. 

5 minutes ago, BriT said:

You can always have a take out if you don’t want to eat with the losers and the toothless hags. 

I don't think there's anything wrong about having opinions on where you will spend your money.

Personally I actually quite like a Caff bacon bap (best one for me around here and also very reasonable) but when I'm going out for a night would rather spend my money somewhere that does higher quality food and drinks.

However there should be an appreciation of what it costs a business against what they are actually charging. I think you'd find there are very few that are 'rip off merchants'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2