Firm closing

finlo

15 minutes ago, BriT said:

Well yes. Are you saying that if you bought a £10 carrot it would taste any different? 

Than a 10p one?  Yes, for very many reasons.

If you have never grasped that there are differences between cheap bacon and bacon that costs more then I can’t be bothered trying to discuss it any further.

Maybe try Googling it? Or try some of the bargain basement stuff next to something from a decent butcher?

If you honestly can’t tell the difference (even before we factor in animal welfare) then you are a lost cause.

I am not saying everyone can afford it or even that some very rich people can justify the extra cost, but to suggest they are the same undermines everything you post it is so idiotic.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Than a 10p one?  Yes, for very many reasons.

If you have never grasped that there are differences between cheap bacon and bacon that costs more then I can’t be bothered trying to discuss it any further.

I will leave you to savor the flavour of your £10 carrots. The 10p ones are fine by me. And as for Noa £6 bacon baps. Just a total rip off when you can walk round the corner and buy the same thing for £2.50. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BriT said:

I will leave you to savor the flavour of your £10 carrots. The 10p ones are fine by me. And as for Noa £6 bacon baps. Just a total rip off when you can walk round the corner and buy the same thing for £2.50. 

Are you honestly saying that if someone blindfolded you and gave you cheap Danepack or walls bacon you could t tell the difference between that and some bacon from one of the many good local butchers?  Or a carrot straight from a farm shop compared to Tesco value?

Edited by Asthehills
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Are you honestly saying that if someone blindfolded you and gave you cheap Danepack or walls bacon you could t tell the difference between that and some bacon from one of the many good local butchers?  Or a carrot straight from a farm shop compared to Tesco value?

I’m saying Noa’s bacon certainly isn’t worth paying £4.50 extra for. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Are you honestly saying that if someone blindfolded you and gave you cheap Danepack or Walls bacon you could tell the difference between that and some bacon from one of the many good local butchers?

Would that be telling porkies?

The end result also depends on where it's cut from the pig, and how and by whom it's cooked, regardless of provenance or expense.

Irish shoulder bacon was always a winner, grilled. Never see it these days. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

Would that be telling porkies?

The end result also depends on where it's cut from the pig, and how and by whom it's cooked, regardless of provenance or expense.

Irish shoulder bacon was always a winner, grilled. Never see it these days. 

Well for cooking at home I find the Andreas farm produce very superior. More pricey yes but the taste of their bacon, sausage and black pudding is well worth the ( relatively small) differential

• Like 1

There is bacon and there is bacon...

Most bacon you get in cheap places will be commercially produced abroad - from breeds of pig bred to put on as much weight as possible as quickly as possible regardless of taste - and raised in giant factories where they are kept in small cages and never see daylight. Then the pork will be 'wet cured' which involves injecting it with huge amounts of water to increase the weight.

Instead consider free range pigs - who roam around manx countryside their whole lives - from rare breeds that were selected because they tasted the best - and the pork then dry cured the old fashioned way - and with great taste award stars to confirm the difference.

There really is a difference : https://www.facebook.com/closeleecefarmshopandcafe/videos/2609740855904068/

But not for long - maybe because not enough people understand the difference...

• Thanks 2