Firm closing

finlo

6 minutes ago, reddal said:

There is bacon and there is bacon...

Most bacon you get in cheap places will be commercially produced abroad - from breeds of pig bred to put on as much weight as possible as quickly as possible regardless of taste - and raised in giant factories where they are kept in small cages and never see daylight. Then the pork will be 'wet cured' which involves injecting it with huge amounts of water to increase the weight.

Instead consider free range pigs - who roam around manx countryside their whole lives - from rare breeds that were selected because they tasted the best - and the pork then dry cured the old fashioned way - and with great taste award stars to confirm the difference.

There really is a difference : https://www.facebook.com/closeleecefarmshopandcafe/videos/2609740855904068/

But not for long - maybe because not enough people understand the difference...

I don’t think it’s case of not enough people understanding the difference. It’s a case of expensive food, and at the moment people are cutting back.  I appreciate good food and do understand the difference between a better quality bacon or sausage breakfast bap, and a breakfast bap from say Newsbeat on Bucks Road. Newsbeats breakfast offerings are excellent btw, but Close Leece rear their own livestock so the meat used is from their own livestock, so yes it is a taste the difference. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BriT said:

OMG the great MF bacon debate continues. Can I meet you blindfolded at the Caff next Wednesday where we can do the Manx equivalent of the Coca Cola challenge? 

You are right, but this debate has nothing to do with bacon, sausages or quality but economic reasons. I would also say that energy costs would have played a part, which has been conveniently overlooked. It has been publicised in the UK a popular farm shop which is closing as its forecast that energy costs were predicted at over £120,000 whereas they were paying £19,000. Can you imagine how much Manx establishments will have to pay? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You are right, but this debate has nothing to do with bacon, sausages or quality but economic reasons. I would also say that energy costs would have played a part, which has been conveniently overlooked. It has been publicised in the UK a popular farm shop which is closing as its forecast that energy costs were predicted at over £120,000 whereas they were paying £19,000. Can you imagine how much Manx establishments will have to pay? 

I don't think most people realise what's coming down the pipe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Close Leece also serve Sunday Lunches, which are popular on the island. So far, popular restaurants which are usually very busy on Sundays and in the evenings, with large parties are still in business. For how long though remains to be seen, unless their operating hours are reduced, along with their menu. Reduced operating hours could result in lower costs and a reduced menu could result in less ingredients. However if could be that families haven’t got the disposable income for a Sunday lunch, and it could mean going out will be reserved for Mothers Day or prior to Christmas. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1