Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Maybe should start another thread but I'd be curious to know what people would like in a bar, or restaurant for that matter, that we don't have at the moment.

I’d love a decent seafood restaurant. 

Not a restaurant that does meat, chicken and a fish dish. Proper seafood, shellfish etc

I recently looked online for seafood restaurants in Liverpoo to see if I’d missed anything good. The likes of Bacaro was in the top ten. I go there quite often and no way would I say it’s a seafood restaurant. Also in the top ten was a fish and chip shop FFS

Edited by The Old Git

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

OK Jack as an oldie that still gets around, a bit, what I would like is somewhere that produces a menu with items on it that I don’t cook at home, the brewery pubs are all the same so predictable that you can decide what to order before you see the menu.   Then there is the hit and miss aspect whether this is down to different chefs working I don’t know.    I have never had a bad meal at the Barbary Coast in fact this is one place I would recommend but it gets very busy and sometimes it is difficult  to get a reservation.    In the past year I have eaten in all the restaurants/ pubs on the Quay and this is the only one that gives value for money in my very humble opinion.   I believe the Thai restaurant in Market Hill is good must try that soon.

Interesting. Though that you say something you couldn't cook at home but surely you could do the sort of food they do in Barbary Coast? 

From what I hear, the Thai on Market Hill is ok but it's a bit hit and miss. Bonzai is where I go for that type of food to be honest. Not quite the same but New Hong Kong is excellent too.

56 minutes ago, BriT said:

I said above I just don’t like the format. Unless you’re sitting outside it’s dank and dingy and the pool room smells of damp and the bogs. I’ve eaten there at lunch sometimes and the food ain’t that great either. But equally I don’t like sports bars as generally they’re full of drunken assholes. 

Sorry. Just when you said format I thought you meant something else in particular albeit you've mentioned the sports bar side of things.

36 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I’d love a decent seafood restaurant. 

Not a restaurant that does meat, chicken and a fish dish. Proper seafood, shellfish etc

I recently looked online for seafood restaurants in Liverpoo to see if I’d missed anything good. The likes of Bacaro was in the top ten. I go there quite often and no way would I say it’s a seafood restaurant. Also in the top ten was a fish and chip shop FFS

Little Fish Cafe?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Little Fish Cafe?

Unless the menu has changed since last time it’s a no from me. Mate used to go there every Saturday for steak and chips. Last time I was there, admittedly a few years ago, I could have bought what I had in a fish and chip shop

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Unless the menu has changed since last time it’s a no from me. Mate used to go there every Saturday for steak and chips. Last time I was there, admittedly a few years ago, I could have bought what I had in a fish and chip shop

I think the Chef from there is at Refuge now. 

9 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

There are restaurants that do very good fish dishes but we don't have the footfall to purely do seafood. Plus the cost for fresh fish produce would mean higher than normal prices for food. Meat/chicken dishes allow you to spread the pain as it were for customers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Don't know about chefs etc but I do know they have a new manager who is very good. Can't say whether that's improved the quality of the food or not.

15 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Don't know about chefs etc but I do know they have a new manager who is very good. Can't say whether that's improved the quality of the food or not.

Looked at the menu and there’s no steak and chips so it has changed. My ideal restaurant would be J Sheekey in London, great seafood / shellfish and a decent veggie menu for my wife. As @Passing Timesays, there isn’t the footfall to have a restaurant like that here. 

1 hour ago, BriT said:

I think the Chef from there is at Refuge now. 

There is a place that I would give six months.

It seems a strange concept to me and the one time we went in with the intention of eating there wasn’t another person in the place so we left.  Hate eating in an empty restaurant 

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

There are restaurants that do very good fish dishes but we don't have the footfall to purely do seafood. Plus the cost for fresh fish produce would mean higher than normal prices for food. Meat/chicken dishes allow you to spread the pain as it were for customers.

I love seafood.  None of my groups of people I don’t put with would all enjoy a seafood restaurant.  I just don’t see it as viable

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

I love seafood.  None of my groups of people I don’t put with would all enjoy a seafood restaurant.  I just don’t see it as viable

we had a request the other week for a seafood platter, chef did them proud so something we can offer and will if people want it

10 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

There is a place that I would give six months.

It seems a strange concept to me and the one time we went in with the intention of eating there wasn’t another person in the place so we left.  Hate eating in an empty restaurant 

It does seem strange, but I’ve been in a few times for drinks and Rob reckons he’s busy at breakfast, lunch and is opening some evenings.