Firm closing

finlo

9 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

There is a place that I would give six months.

It seems a strange concept to me and the one time we went in with the intention of eating there wasn’t another person in the place so we left.  Hate eating in an empty restaurant 

Have to agree. 

Was a strange one from the off. 

Owners no experience in that end of the market but plenty at the other end. 

Then the concept started out in the manner of an old fashioned wine bar. Opened from 11/12 to 7, Monday to Friday. Problem is the that the world no longer goes out in that manner. No drinking at lunchtime (like the good old days) and hardly anyone goes out Monday to Wednesday. Thursday would normally only be a networking event and Friday people usually go home first then go out. 

They've changed their opening hours now and even opened for breakfast. It's in the £6 for a bacon bap type territory though.

Not sure it entirely knows what it wants to be and seems to be floundering a bit to find the market. Now open weekends too and evenings.

All this doom and gloom but Just Pizza and Pasta are intending to open a second venue. Fair play to him . Advertising for up to 4 chefs and more waiting on staff. He told me a few weeks ago but with all thats happening maybe he will hold back for awhile.  My fav resturant for no frills good reasonable food .

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

It seems a strange concept to me and the one time we went in with the intention of eating there wasn’t another person in the place so we left.  Hate eating in an empty restaurant 

But if every walk in walked out because it was empty it would always be empty.

Unless some people had booked of course ,but they could always not attend if they  walked past and saw it was empty before opening the door

17 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But if every walk in walked out because it was empty it would always be empty.

Unless some people had booked of course ,but they could always not attend if they  walked past and saw it was empty before opening the door

Refuge has always been busy at breakfast and lunch when I've been in. I think it's a bit lost atm, the menu if becoming a bit silly/confusing and less appealing. Overcomplicating for sake of it. But I do wish Rob well.

34 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

All this doom and gloom but Just Pizza and Pasta are intending to open a second venue. Fair play to him . Advertising for up to 4 chefs and more waiting on staff. He told me a few weeks ago but with all thats happening maybe he will hold back for awhile.  My fav resturant for no frills good reasonable food .

Yeah Just Pizza and Pasta is great, go in there quite a bit as work nearby and quality is always good with friendly staff. What I’d like to see on the island is a family friendly restaurant similar to Beefeater across. Appreciate the costs will be higher but it would be nice to be able to go somewhere fairly reasonable with the kids where you know the food will be good and it won’t cost a fortune. 

Edited by manxchester
Missed a word!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, manxchester said:

Yeah Just Pizza and Pasta is great, go in there quite a bit as work nearby and quality is always good with friendly staff. What I’d like to see on the island is a family friendly restaurant similar to Beefeater across. Appreciate the costs will be higher but it would be nice to be able to go somewhere fairly reasonable with the kids where you know the food will be good and it cost a fortune. 

Isn't that what H&B is meant to give us? (Lol)

I'd love to see Barbary open up around the Island. I think that could work.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WTF said:

looks like the butter man hasn't turned up for work........

You can’t have toast without butter ( loads of it and not that margarine nonsense).

And are they poached eggs I see ? No No and no again. Must be fried with non runny yolk.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You can’t have toast without butter ( loads of it and not that margarine nonsense).

And are they poached eggs I see ? No No and no again. Must be fried with non runny yolk.

Fuck me I bet you were a nightmare for your poor Ma 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You must be over 40! Poached is in, fried is outre!!!

\\\\the Family Restaurant theme never really happened here, does Barbary meet it? Too many drinkers to be truly Family? A range of food from Chicken burgers to Steaks and sauces, Chilied Prawns and Parmigiana. A big wedge of chocolate gateau to finish, lots of Ice cream for the kids and a take away box to take what you can't eat. Reminds you the next day what a great evening you had at Howard Johnsons!!!

Ideal place for this.............  Peel Rd, uh oh, hang on, problem there!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, BriT said:

That’s sad for £9.50 it is one of the most over hyped eateries in Douglas. Can’t even afford to give you a whole knife full of butter! 

you can probably get a full breakfast with an extra round of toast with all the butter you want and a coffee for £9.50 in  the cafe

• Like 2