Firm closing

finlo

13 minutes ago, WTF said:

you can probably get a full breakfast with an extra round of toast with all the butter you want and a coffee for £9.50 in  the cafe

Actually an all day breakfast in the Caff is £7.00 for that you get two sausages, bacon, a hash brown, a fried egg, and baked beans plus two large slices of doorstep toast and a cup of tea. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Fuck me I bet you were a nightmare for your poor Ma 😀

"Just think of all those starving children in .." followed by a long look, then a clip if you still didn't eat what you were given. 

Can't remember the country, Quilp,  but we were given little envelopes at primary school to collect some money to donate.

ETA It was Biafra. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

"Just think of all those starving children in .." followed by a long look, then a clip if you still didn't eat what you were given. 

Can't remember the country, Quilp,  but we were given little envelopes at primary school to collect some money to donate.

ETA It was Biafra. 

Oh yes, the little catalogue of doe-eyed kids. I took one home, from the old St. Mary's (making it 1967), my Ma took it from me and I never saw it again. When I reminded her that the envelopes were due back she huffed and said "charity begins at home Son" and that was that. For her. Unfortunately for me, when asked where my envelopes were, I repeated what she'd said to the genuinely frightening Sister Mary Rita. A deep darkness descended in her eyes, conveyed in a withering, practiced stare that had my 7-year old self a-quivering with knowing-guilt till Xmas.

"Sit down!" full of menace, was all she quietly hissed. For a while after it certainly led to an increase in the stab in the ribs with that formidable, 5-inch cruciform which hung from her belt if she decided I was deserving. She dished out some terrible violence on little lids, on occasion.

But that's another story.

Thread derail 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

Oh yes, the little catalogue of doe-eyed kids. I took one home, from the old St. Mary's (making it 1967), my Ma took it from me and I never saw it again. When I reminded her that the envelopes were due back she huffed and said "charity begins at home Son" and that was that. For her. Unfortunately for me, when asked where my envelopes were, I repeated what she'd said to the genuinely frightening Sister Mary Rita. A deep darkness descended in her eyes, conveyed in a withering, practiced stare that had my 7-year old self a-quivering with knowing-guilt till Xmas.

"Sit down!" full of menace, was all she quietly hissed. For a while after it certainly led to an increase in the stab in the ribs with that formidable, 5-inch cruciform which hung from her belt if she decided I was deserving. She dished out some terrible violence on little lids, on occasion.

But that's another story.

Thread derail 😬

Pretty sure it was the nuns who trained the SAS

• Haha 2