Firm closing

finlo

20 minutes ago, Turtleish said:

Saddest one so far... Muffins is closing,  sad day for peel. 

Whilst retirement is the reason for closure, costs of energy and increase in the cost of ingredients probably made the decision easier to make. It is sad for Peel as it’s local/community based, and there aren’t many old school bakers left.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

I know of a couple of businesses in Peel that are in a similar situation. They've decided to give it until this time next year to make up their mind. 

A lot of this where it's an older generation of business person who's just had enough and can't be annoyed with it anymore.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Whilst retirement is the reason for closure, costs of energy and increase in the cost of ingredients probably made the decision easier to make. It is sad for Peel as it’s local/community based, and there aren’t many old school bakers left.

Or maybe retirement is the only reason... stop scaremongering

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Or maybe retirement is the only reason... stop scaremongering

?????????

Alright it is a viable business …………. must be loads of bakers who want to taken on bakery, with very high gas costs, high electric costs with the guarantee that you will be paying increased prices to make up for the price freeze. 

I am not scaremongering I am pointing out FACT. If someone were to open a bakery, perhaps the GMP have got deep pockets and a large disposable income?

30 minutes ago, 2112 said:

?????????

Alright it is a viable business …………. must be loads of bakers who want to taken on bakery, with very high gas costs, high electric costs with the guarantee that you will be paying increased prices to make up for the price freeze. 

I am not scaremongering I am pointing out FACT. 

You’ve seen their business accounts then?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

It’s the sort of business it’s hard to pass on to anyone else when it’s your own labour and your own recipes for 40 odd years. Really anyone else taking it over isn’t going to benefit so it’s easier to just retire and maybe let the shop out for an income. 

The first category of business closures here are these sort of things it’s happened here and it’s happened at the Lexicon bookshop etc. The business owes you nothing. It’s been a tiring time over covid and you’re getting on so knock it on the head. It’s the next wave that will be more concerning which is those that are now fucked. That will happen end of year. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Turtleish said:

Saddest one so far... Muffins is closing,  sad day for peel. 

Thats terrible. I go there whenever I'm in peel.  I love the pies and the cream buns there..

The bakers in Douglas near M&S seem to be doing okay..Usually there is a queue at lunch time..But its feeding  time for the seagulls as well.. I've been ambushed a few times right when I stepped outside!!!

Never had that happen in peel..:-)

Just now, mad_manx said:

But its feeding  time for the seagulls as well.. I've been ambushed a few times right when I stepped outside!!!

Never had that happen in peel..:-)

That's because the issue was addressed in Tynwald Court itself....

• Haha 1

Went to the new Thai place ( was Tandoor before ) on market hill last week .

They are open for lunch most days .. 

I know it's early days but I was the only customer for lunch  !. 

Not sure how long  they are going  to last 

The A cafe near the co op is almost always full at lunch but I suppose its a bit closer to the shopping  areas..Same with the new Hong Kong as well. 

10 hours ago, mad_manx said:

The A cafe near the co op is almost always full at lunch but I suppose its a bit closer to the shopping  areas..Same with the new Hong Kong as well. 

The A Cafe has its own regulars who seem largely Chinese. They have a nice niche that will keep them going I’d think. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Went to the new Thai place ( was Tandoor before ) on market hill last week .

They are open for lunch most days .. 

I know it's early days but I was the only customer for lunch  !. 

Not sure how long  they are going  to last 

Doing ok at night from what I understand. What day did you go? Not huge amounts of people eating out at these types of place at lunch.

5 hours ago, MrGarrison said:

The A Cafe has its own regulars who seem largely Chinese. They have a nice niche that will keep them going I’d think. 

A Cafe custom is mostly Filipino.

• Like 1