The strategy to attract 500,000 visitors!

Max Power

15 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Port Erin quiet this morning, steam train broke! Out of phase eccentric caused buckled rod apparently. ( According to engineer in cafe).

Down to one working engine then?.

The newly completely rebuilt one (No11) does not seem to be available for normal traffic yet.

If only they had bought a working diesel locomotive......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bandits said:

It will probably be as successful as the strategy to attract new businesses to come here

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/enterprise-development-scheme-to-close-due-to-inactivity/

The next Tynwald questions that need to be asked is how much was spent vs how much did it bring in (if quantifiable)?

Then how many people were employed to oversee and administer it, where are they now and what are they doing?

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there did seem to be a lot of UK Reg cars over this weekend.

Maybe the Steam Packer should capitalise on the airport shambles in the UK at the moment? 

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there did seem to be a lot of UK Reg cars over this weekend.

Maybe the Steam Packer should capitalise on the airport shambles in the UK at the moment? 

According to our family returning to the UK, yesterdays 07:30 to LPL was packed to the gunwales.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The next Tynwald questions that need to be asked is how much was spent vs how much did it bring in (if quantifiable)?

Then how many people were employed to oversee and administer it, where are they now and what are they doing?

I think it is generally acknowledged amongst the business community that the island has become one of the most hostile places to operate a business from drowning in bureaucrats and hurdles to jump. This is why this is a flop it will have to be spun to explain otherwise !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

The Island has indeed been extremely busy over the weekend - and it’s only Easter. Who knows, maybe the tide will turn and we’ll become a popular destination once more. It would be nice to think that might be the case, and gawd knows, the hospitality and tourist organisations could do with it. 

Judging by the tourists over the weekend, this may hopefully be the case. 

The Island should push the fact there is no Covid pass twatting about, restrictions etc, (if you ferry) you don't need to deal with the torture that is UK airports at the moment. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I remember talking to Nigel (from Greens) when he ran the cafe at the summit of Snaefell a few years ago. It was during the time when he was battling with the government to have remedial works done on the cafe to make access and catering more viable. In his supporting argument he shared that the Snaefell cafe had, in one season, received 600 000 visitors - far more - he cited - than any other tourist attraction on the Island. 

it always seemed an unreliable (and unbelievable) set of figures but he had all the documentation to back it up. I think, in the end, the government did throw some money at it but not as much as Nigel himself sunk into it.

The Island has indeed been extremely busy over the weekend - and it’s only Easter. Who knows, maybe the tide will turn and we’ll become a popular destination once more. It would be nice to think that might be the case, and gawd knows, the hospitality and tourist organisations could do with it. 

I think 60,000 is more believable. 

• Like 2