The strategy to attract 500,000 visitors!

Max Power

its not so long ago that the island attracted over 3000 to the Easter festival of sport  every rugby, soccer, hockey ,  pitch was full , we also had the first trip from Ireland  which regularly filled a steam packet boat with Irish civil servants  plus everyone else that came for an Easter short break , pubs and hotels did terrific business  as did the Steam packet 

All gone now because there is no one in Tourism interested in  promoting the place ,  or working with local groups who have sporting or other  connections ,

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Omobono said:

its not so long ago that the island attracted over 3000 to the Easter festival of sport  every rugby, soccer, hockey ,  pitch was full

Ah the Uni sports festival.  Those were the days.  Summerland was full of pissed horny sporty students, I remember drunkenly busting into the soft play area.

Last one was in 2014.  I can remember probably about 2005 ish I bumped into a bunch of my University Alumni at Sam Webbs in my lunch hour, got chatting and then I was forced to neck a couple of pints then go back to work! 

http://isleofman.com/News/details/63126/final-student-festival-of-sport

It was bloody good.  They should definitely try and bring something like this back.  Maybe with added e-sports to be attractive to today's yoof and a tie-in to the IOM businesses doing this. 

26 minutes ago, Omobono said:

All gone now because there is no one in Tourism interested in  promoting the place ,  or working with local groups who have sporting or other  connections ,

This highlights the issue I have with the cruise ships PR from govt. We devote our resources to vanity projects like cruise ships whilst failing to support proper initiatives.  

Still yet to discover the hidden document showing where the 500k per year visitor numbers was calculated

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

It's not hidden - it's the newly published DfE plan

The successful achievement of all aspects of it will lead to 500,000 per year by 2032

By which time of course the Minister will be long gone

I was referring to this section on the original document, why not reference the report?  I can't find it on visit isle of man.

Screenshot_20220421-153344.thumb.jpg.8132331b979ccb3a7304c7c97eeb0b43.jpg

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

This highlights the issue I have with the cruise ships PR from govt. We devote our resources to vanity projects like cruise ships whilst failing to support proper initiatives.  

Still yet to discover the hidden document showing where the 500k per year visitor numbers was calculated

Gut feeling is that they expect biggest growth from day visitors (cruise passengers) as I think these types are included in the overall figure. Kind of depends on a cruise berth getting built pretty handy though if my hunch is correct, as I don't see a big increase in hotel bed numbers soon.

1 minute ago, Twitch said:

Gut feeling is that they expect biggest growth from day visitors (cruise passengers) as I think these types are included in the overall figure. Kind of depends on a cruise berth getting built pretty handy though if my hunch is correct, as I don't see a big increase in hotel bed numbers soon.

We've built a massively expensive cruise berth .... it's in Liverpool !!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

No wonder the electric trams are shot think of all the trips they would have to do, up and down ,to shift 600,00 people that is what b……d the brakes.

and while we are on about the trams , the work on Queens prom I understand is finished , so why is the Summerland area right up to the MER  sheds  looking like a SHi-e hole  of a Steptoe's yard , old plant, rusty barriers , disused vehicles and  building materials   what a disgrace for rail enthusiasts  to have to see while embarking on  a Victorian heritage experience  time someone in the Railways section of DOI get their act together  and tidied the place up  or better still the Corporation serve an improvement notice on them ,  and have the management  or those responsible  prosecuted ,

4 hours ago, Omobono said:

its not so long ago that the island attracted over 3000 to the Easter festival of sport  every rugby, soccer, hockey ,  pitch was full , we also had the first trip from Ireland  which regularly filled a steam packet boat with Irish civil servants  plus everyone else that came for an Easter short break , pubs and hotels did terrific business  as did the Steam packet 

You of course are right and great days they were. Having been involved in this in various roles , not government , When it stopped there was still a functioning Tourist board but sadly for lots of reasons it died a death. Lots of issues with hotels having trouble and Des Cavagner , spelling ? , who organised the Irish Civil service trips moved the trip to UK (Blackpool)  and then he stopped doing it to there even. Also as far as UK sports teams coming it got too expensive and also lots of other areas in the UK jumped on board with events etc. Particularly hit the student teams as they are always on a minimum budget. The five a side event in the Lido as part of the Easter football was a particular draw but of course that had to stop when the Lido closed. It did happen in a 4 a side event for a few years in Summerland but with numbers dropping so fast that too ended. All very sad as the Easter festival sports was a massive plus for the Island. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Omobono said:

I know Malta is a 'real' holiday destination but right up until CV took hold they held 4 full weekend sports tournaments in mid-April to mid-May from the mid-90s onwards; rugby, swimming, footie and beach volleyball (if I recall correctly). The Maltese Tourist Authority offered a flat EUR6/person/bed night in approved accommodation to each organising committee of the events all managed by about 10 approved travel agents who found the accommodation for the participants. I can't really remember how it was controlled but I think all participants had to be pre-registered and have return travel boat or air tickets for at least the length of time the tournament was run for.

I was helping out in a clubhouse bar one year but I heard Maltese Rugby Union turned in around EUR10K from the government scheme for their weekend. Teams from France, UK, Ireland, Italy and even USA turned up. It was probably one of the best 7 & 15 a-side tournaments I have ever attended. The Maltese Government didn't have to lift a finger but hotels packed, flights fully booked, restaurants & cafes full, nightclubs booming, sight seeing, boat trips etc, etc. And a good time was had by all.

ETA: Forgot to add that I passed all the scheme info over to Mr Corkish who was the Member for Tourism at the time but nowt was done about it.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

ETA: Forgot to add that I passed all the scheme info over to Mr Corkish who was the Member for Tourism at the time but nowt was done about it.

(He was probably busy being measured-up for a new tutu.)

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, Omobono said:

All gone now because there is no one in Tourism interested in  promoting the place ,  or working with local groups who have sporting or other  connections

The second part is certainly accurate, the Department appears to exist to pooh pooh suggestions and/or place so many obstacles in the way of things being organised that the proposers quite simply give up and wash their hands of it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I know Malta is a 'real' holiday destination but right up until CV took hold they held 4 full weekend sports tournaments in mid-April to mid-May from the mid-90s onwards; rugby, swimming, footie and beach volleyball (if I recall correctly). The Maltese Tourist Authority offered a flat EUR6/person/bed night in approved accommodation to each organising committee of the events all managed by about 10 approved travel agents who found the accommodation for the participants. I can't really remember how it was controlled but I think all participants had to be pre-registered and have return travel boat or air tickets for at least the length of time the tournament was run for.

I was helping out in a clubhouse bar one year but I heard Maltese Rugby Union turned in around EUR10K from the government scheme for their weekend. Teams from France, UK, Ireland, Italy and even USA turned up. It was probably one of the best 7 & 15 a-side tournaments I have ever attended. The Maltese Government didn't have to lift a finger but hotels packed, flights fully booked, restaurants & cafes full, nightclubs booming, sight seeing, boat trips etc, etc. And a good time was had by all.

I'm convinced that the IoMG in general do not want tourists who demand facilities such as nightclubs, decent bars and entertainment where people may get a little boisterous? We have actively worked to destroy that sort of thing with the likes of 'Project Trident' and we will never be a destination for a good time ever again. Why do you think our whole tourism strategy revolves around walking, cycling and sitting around watching the waves? Holidays for the aged and dull!