The strategy to attract 500,000 visitors!

Max Power

12 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Maybe we could pioneer "eco-wanking" to encourage tourism? 

Haven't really thought through the mechanics of that, but pretty sure it wouldn't involve Callister, Ashford or shredders.

Only once they've sorted the Laxey Sewage Works out... we can't be having the pioneering "eco wankers" knocking one out on top of Laxey Wheel until then. 

Actually hasn't the term "Eco Wankers" already been claimed by the IOM Green Party? 

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, asitis said:

Tell that to Mull where just that makes their economy 5 million a year and the Scottish economy 276 million a year.

They have Eagles and exciting birds, but I guess there's not much else to do there anyway? 

The exit interview always ends up with "What did you do on your Highland holiday?"...."Watched the bloody birds, what else?" 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, asitis said:

Tell that to Mull where just that makes their economy 5 million a year and the Scottish economy 276 million a year.

But the birdwatching here isn't as as spectacular as it is in Mull or somewhere like the Isle of Scilly.  It's good especially seabirds but not great and we don't have the big iconic species or twitcher-friendly rarities.  You'll get some related tourism and low-level support should be supplied, but it's not a magic bullet.

(Still probably more profitable than cruises mind).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the birdwatching here isn't as as spectacular as it is in Mull or somewhere like the Isle of Scilly.  It's good especially seabirds but not great and we don't have the big iconic species or twitcher-friendly rarities.  You'll get some related tourism and low-level support should be supplied, but it's not a magic bullet.

(Still probably more profitable than cruises mind).

And those twitchers, the pubs and bars are full of them, singing into the early hours, terrorising the island with their packed lunches and binoculars! 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

You'll get some related tourism and low-level support should be supplied, but it's not a magic bullet.

There is no magic bullet - a shotgun is required.

Recently I was on another holiday island, at  the end of a long winding road, in a bar, and I found myself sitting next to a guided tour group from England. They were butterfly fanciers. It would seem to be a niche subject, and I was a bit surprised to find that package holidays are available. Camera, notebook and big hat are required.

12 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There is no magic bullet - a shotgun is required.

Recently I was on another holiday island, at  the end of a long winding road, in a bar, and I found myself sitting next to a guided tour group from England. They were butterfly fanciers. It would seem to be a niche subject, and I was a bit surprised to find that package holidays are available. Camera, notebook and big hat are required.

But no insect repellent....? 😂

• Haha 1

I'm sure there lots of niche breaks that could be encouraged here, where the sum of the little bits combined make it worthwhile (if only for the racket which we now own !).

My own experience, shared by others, is if it is not a motorbike or other petrol powered device, they are not interested !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, asitis said:

Mull has it good - not only is it a destination in it's own right, but also the gateway to Iona & most folks who go on pilgrimage or to visit John Smith's grave have to go via Mull

• Like 1

Where in the government's imagination are these 500,000 people going to stay when they arrive . We manage 30,000 over TT with thousands of those camping as nowhere else to stay. Along with the Duke TT village and homestay and the likes. There dreaming and of course theres the staff needed to look after this increased volume of visitors . Pie in the sky sadly. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 6:37 PM, SleepyJoe said:

Better to have ludicrously ambitious targets not to achieve rather than modest ones

all we need  now is a ludicrously  ambitious minister to undertake this most important position as the mover and shaker of the Manx economy  my guess it will go to a lady !

Yes I have had that thought, Clare Barber was the one I was thinking of on the occasions I have heard her speak / on the radio/ she seems to  on top of the subject she was on about .    Of course the cost of travel is the problem and with fuel going up it is going to get worse.   Whoever it is I wish them the best of luck they are going to need it.

If we could increase our population by 10,000 adults then the visiting relatives, 2 sets of parents, some grand parents and adult siblings, could raise the number by some 50k.

These people are included in the visitor figures and while their spend may be less than a pure tourist, any contribution gratefully received?

( Economically active new residents hopefully)!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Yes I have had that thought, Clare Barber was the one I was thinking of on the occasions I have heard her speak / on the radio/ she seems to  on top of the subject she was on about .    Of course the cost of travel is the problem and with fuel going up it is going to get worse.   Whoever it is I wish them the best of luck they are going to need it.

Clare Barber was in charge of culture at DHSS, look how well that went.