The strategy to attract 500,000 visitors!

Max Power

46 minutes ago, asitis said:

We need to divest ourselves of politicians who spout the " well the money spent on (some pie in the sky scheme), returned 1 million pounds in advertising for the island". This was a bit like Eddie and his bed nights for the film industry which was absolute horseshit !

Daphne is the latest one to laud the fairy houses, sweet jesus and the orphans, the only person doing remarkably well out of those is whoever produced the models and persuaded us to spend  such a huge amount of money on them !

We need politicians who given a briefing note to deliver to the press and taxpayers looks at it and says, "There is no way I'm making myself look an idiot spouting that" !

We can't pay bills with projected costs of advertising ! 

The calibre of clowns currently in Tynwald don't have the brain matter to do this. I believe Noel Cringle was the last MHK who challenged the dross the CS put out.

22 hours ago, Holte End said:

The Royal Society of Chemistry equation for the perfect bullshit marketing equation.

1011023666_ScreenShot2022-04-07at10_13_28.png.8ef77e02f2a3667618875ddbbbef925c.png

And that's before Isle of Man Government 'Manxifies' it, which is always how the problems start.  Adding their unique touch on things, and reverse engineering the Midas Touch. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mysteron said:

And that's before Isle of Man Government 'Manxifies' it, which is always how the problems start.  Adding their unique touch on things, and reverse engineering the Midas Touch. 

Adding a sprinkle of bullshit on top as well. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Passing Time said:

The calibre of clowns currently in Tynwald don't have the brain matter to do this. I believe Noel Cringle was the last MHK who challenged the dross the CS put out.

The majority of the current crop are dross and career politicos. I think many are seeing past the veneer of Alfie, Allinson and many of the others. Alf has been a disappointment, still when he has fucked up the island, politically and financially he can go back to financial prosperity with his pension, directorships etc. No doubt he will collect a gong as a reward to being Chief Minister. 

I am not going to call @Stu Petersas he has said what he thinks, whether or not it’s likeable. I don’t think he his seeking to make politics a long term career. As a constituent of Middle he is very approachable, unlike other MHKs who don’t like answering telephones or text messages - I’m afraid being an MHK is a 24/7 business, if they don’t like being contactable then resign or don’t contest. 

I have noticed that some members don’t put their mobile contact details on the Tynwald/Members biography. It’s poor practice to use the Tynwald switchboard as an answer service etc, and members are provided with a government mobile and number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joebean said:

Rob Callister’s interview on MR was very typical. All upbeat stuff about being proactive etc, then he gets asked a question about specific actions and the waffling starts. Apparently, the Government had a scheme to support accommodation upgrades ready to go in 2019 but that was put on hold “due to Covid-19” (why?) and they will need to “look at it again”. So, the strategy is launched but without supporting schemes in place. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a strategy launch with all the bits that will help it be delivered in place and a politician or official who can come to the media and explain it all? This would help the public, accommodation providers and the industry believe that the targets were deliverable, rather than get the usual 🙄

What targets?

I wonder if the hospitality industry have been consulted on what they actually require to ensure their assets appeal to the visitors. So it would be interesting to hear what someone from the industry has to say, if anything.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What targets?

I wonder if the hospitality industry have been consulted on what they actually require to ensure their assets appeal to the visitors. So it would be interesting to hear what someone from the industry has to say, if anything.

I have mentioned previously Andy that the government commissioned a report from PWC on what the hospitality industry on the island needs and they have pretty much ignored it.

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

I have mentioned previously Andy that the government commissioned a report from PWC on what the hospitality industry on the island needs and they have pretty much ignored it.

I can't think of many reports they haven't ignored ! Why they insist on getting advice then ignoring it is difficult to understand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This from the manx radio website. Re the 500k tourists...

............by 2032, one of the objectives is to develop 500 new hotel, and serviced accommodation, bedrooms.

Michael George - the joint-proprietor of the Welbeck Hotel in Douglas - says it's important those plans don't damage trade for existing businesses:

I read that as we cant have anyone building new and better hotels, we must keep existing?>

Does that mean we cant encourage new modern accommodation and must just keep flogging a 1960s type of accommodation with often shared bathrooms to a modern clientele? So we must stop improvements?   

This ladies and gentlemen is why the island is slipping (Slipped?) into a hole of its own making and will never recover tourist wise.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, asitis said:

I can't think of many reports they haven't ignored ! Why they insist on getting advice then ignoring it is difficult to understand.

Same as the access to cash report recently, ignored within one month when DOI refused to take cash at post offices for rent’s 

• Sad 1