The strategy to attract 500,000 visitors!

Max Power

7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Full page colour advert in the latest Private Eye 'Vintage Railways of The Isle of Man - 6 days from £695' 

GreatRail.com/MXB

Features the following 

Wasn't this the issue in 2019, that Longworth insisted on running the horse trams, and disrupting the prom works, because they had 'contractual obligations' with tour operators to provide a service. So we ended up with one tram running from Derby Castle to Switzerland Road.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nellie said:

Wasn't this the issue in 2019, that Longworth insisted on running the horse trams, and disrupting the prom works, because they had 'contractual obligations' with tour operators to provide a service. So we ended up with one tram running from Derby Castle to Switzerland Road.

But wasnt that a lie from Longworth and it was found to have no such obligations with anyone. Just him being a tool. 

• Like 3

I don’t know what ‘athletics’ event which was taken place this evening, but I was driving past Snugborough this evening, there were loads of ‘walkers’ on the pavements, some were thumbing for a lift, as if they were hitchhikers. Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t have thought anything odd, except most didn’t have any hi viz clothing, and some who were thumbing for a lift were actually on the road, and I had to swerve to avoid hitting them. Sadly I didn’t see any marshals either. 

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know what ‘athletics’ event which was taken place this evening, but I was driving past Snugborough this evening, there were loads of ‘walkers’ on the pavements, some were thumbing for a lift, as if they were hitchhikers. Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t have thought anything odd, except most didn’t have any hi viz clothing, and some who were thumbing for a lift were actually on the road, and I had to swerve to avoid hitting them. Sadly I didn’t see any marshals either. 

Attendees on their way to a Douglas crack party.... 😂

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Attendees on their way to a Douglas crack party.... 😂

😝 

On a serious note, there could have been a serious incident if one of the people who were thumbing a lift from the road, had been struck by a vehicle. If this was sporting event, it wasn’t well run..

9 hours ago, 2112 said:

You get this every year the event is on after the Peel Hill races. I presume transport is put on to bring the runners back but it seems a fair percentage stay in Peel for a couple of drinks and then run back. Possibly stopping off at St Johns, Crosby & Union Mills on the way

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lost Login said:

You get this every year the event is on after the Peel Hill races. I presume transport is put on to bring the runners back but it seems a fair percentage stay in Peel for a couple of drinks and then run back. Possibly stopping off at St Johns, Crosby & Union Mills on the way

Your right. They like a drink and its quite common and no hardship it seems for them to run 10 miles or so with a bellyful of beer etc. Impressive really as they are as fit as hell too despite the quantity they can drink.  

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Your right. They like a drink and its quite common and no hardship it seems for them to run 10 miles or so with a bellyful of beer etc. Impressive really as they are as fit as hell too despite the quantity they can drink.  

😂 

There is still a chance of getting  hit by a car by their stupidity though, and also not wearing visible clothing. Then the poor car driver is prosecuted accordingly as a result of others negligence. I had to literally swerve across the road to avoid hitting someone on the road waving drivers. It was only by the grace of god, there were no oncoming vehicles. If I had this issue, there must have been other drivers who experienced the same?

23 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

The island is buzzing this afternoon.

Great to see. We have been out and about with visiting family who have never been before and they love it.

Done well we could have a great tourism industry again post covid, it just needs a bit of joined up thinking and support from government in the right areas.

Costs to get to and from are nowhere near as bad as I feared they would be with airlines getting back on their feet either. 

Port Erin quiet this morning, steam train broke! Out of phase eccentric caused buckled rod apparently. ( According to engineer in cafe).