The strategy to attract 500,000 visitors!

Max Power

On 4/22/2022 at 10:41 AM, Max Power said:

I'm convinced that the IoMG in general do not want tourists who demand facilities such as nightclubs, decent bars and entertainment where people may get a little boisterous? We have actively worked to destroy that sort of thing with the likes of 'Project Trident' and we will never be a destination for a good time ever again. Why do you think our whole tourism strategy revolves around walking, cycling and sitting around watching the waves? Holidays for the aged and dull!  

On 4/22/2022 at 12:16 PM, The Phantom said:

Funnily enough I was talking to an ex copper about this exact thing a couple of weeks ago.

He said previously most of the violence was in town in the pubs and clubs and would be caught on CCTV and fairly easy convictions would follow. 

Project Trident effectively wiped out the nightlife here, forced everyone into their homes and now all the domestic violence has picked up and it's a nightmare to convict. 

Do you mean Project Centurion?

that was c.1999 to 2001. It was designed to promote a safer night out. Having transferred from Blackpool having spent my last 2 years there on the Licensing Unit (2500 premises, 17m visitors a year, capacity to kick out 65k at 0200) where I trained something like 600 door supervisors in that time I was actually shocked at the pro rata levels of drunkenness and disorder that prevailed on the island.

Centurion did a lot of good, as did the IOM Licensing Unit when it was formed. But then so it should have as it was the size of the one we had at Blackpool!

It was the Millennium that started the decline.

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

that was c.1999 to 2001. It was designed to promote a safer night out. Having transferred from Blackpool having spent my last 2 years there on the Licensing Unit (2500 premises, 17m visitors a year, capacity to kick out 65k at 0200) where I trained something like 600 door supervisors in that time I was actually shocked at the pro rata levels of drunkenness and disorder that prevailed on the island.

Centurion did a lot of good, as did the IOM Licensing Unit when it was formed. But then so it should have as it was the size of the one we had at Blackpool!

The policies introduced in the execution of project Centurion destroyed the island's nightlife.

I was a regular out on the town around this time, strange that this project coincided with the Millenium, often blamed for the demise of the island's nightlife. 

I didn't see any difference in people being drunk around the town, in fact I very rarely saw people so drunk that they couldn't conduct themselves properly and very rarely saw any trouble? All I saw was a change in regulations concerning licenced premises in several different ways which eventually led to them going out of business. For example, the inability to move pubs or clubs after 1.00am meant that you couldn't move to a livelier venue and just went home. 

It was similar to how the police manage Mad Sunday etc, just keep things closed and we'll have less to do! That's ok with Mad Sunday, but exaggerating a problem to clamp down on people enjoying themselves was what Project Centurion was all about! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

So you come over here and destroy our nightlife and then spend the rest of your obviously pathetic life on here bleating how the island has gone downhill since you did not get elected life governor or something like that.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Projection Centurion was the police being assholes, they were out on the prowl just bullying people who'd had a few drinks. The arrogance of them was nuts. It damaged their reputation badly with a lot of people my age. 

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

The policies introduced in the execution of project Centurion destroyed the island's nightlife.

I was a regular out on the town around this time, strange that this project coincided with the Millenium, often blamed for the demise of the island's nightlife. 

I didn't see any difference in people being drunk around the town, in fact I very rarely saw people so drunk that they couldn't conduct themselves properly and very rarely saw any trouble? All I saw was a change in regulations concerning licenced premises in several different ways which eventually led to them going out of business. For example, the inability to move pubs or clubs after 1.00am meant that you couldn't move to a livelier venue and just went home. 

It was similar to how the police manage Mad Sunday etc, just keep things closed and we'll have less to do! That's ok with Mad Sunday, but exaggerating a problem to clamp down on people enjoying themselves was what Project Centurion was all about! 

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I’d known that whilst walking up and down a 200m scene with body parts strewn along it, whilst I tried to get some answers 

6 hours ago, HiVibes said:

So you come over here and destroy our nightlife and then spend the rest of your obviously pathetic life on here bleating how the island has gone downhill since you did not get elected life governor or something like that.

Had nothing to do with Centurion either in planning or execution

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I’d known that whilst walking up and down a 200m scene with body parts strewn along it, whilst I tried to get some answers 

See, people are 'supposed' to have some respect for the police for the obviously difficult and important job they're supposed to do, but if your first interactions with the police as a young adult come about during some bonkers hostile crackdown and feature one of your mates being violently arrested for nothing - released without charge the following day - then that respect is not going to earned.

I was working in a pub at the time, did my on-licence certificate so I could be a DO and do relief so I had to deal with the police as part of that. Derek Crellin the Onchan copper was awful to get any help from, though Kevin Quirk was alright, and the CID guys who came in (Cain, Fletcher, Forbes) just oozed dodginess and we all know about the latter.

I don't think I've ever had a positive interaction with the police.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

that was c.1999 to 2001.

I guess so, something sort of Greeky/Romany. 

However this was when I left Uni and joined the military, so I was only here a couple of times a year and had never actually heard of this until the ex-copper mentioned it as noted.  It did coincide with the downturn in the nightlife over here however.  Whether it was responsible or not; no idea, but the the guy I was chatting to certainly thought so. 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't think I've ever had a positive interaction with the police.

To be fair to them they must already be missing the covid years where they could just turn up, be a total twat, and someone got two weeks in prison without any further effort being applied. 

Is there anything in this wondrous strategy to prevent current housing stock being lost to holiday homes/holiday rentals? 

It's clear in places like Cornwall that houses are being hoovered up into holiday lets which then worsens an already critical shortage of housing for local residents. 

35 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Is there anything in this wondrous strategy to prevent current housing stock being lost to holiday homes/holiday rentals? 

It's clear in places like Cornwall that houses are being hoovered up into holiday lets which then worsens an already critical shortage of housing for local residents. 

I would not worry about that, the island has not a lot to attract visitors so houses will not be hoovered up.

This "Strategy" is a joke, to make people come here there has to be something to attract them, someone please tell me what there is here that you cant get in the North of England a lot cheaper and stay in far superior hotels?

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Yeah the Landlord Registration Scheme.  As far as I can determine, its been developed to completely kill off the rental market on the Island.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Had nothing to do with Centurion either in planning or execution

Apologies Derek, I obviously wasn't out that night, I must have been off the island? That must have been some punch up! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been looking at the views from the IOM webcams and to be honest, nothing I saw would be called "beautiful" or "inspirational". https://www.gov.im/webcams/douglas-marina/  What a lovely view of Ramsey's sludge-filled harbour at low tide.  If your Government really wants to attract tourists, do you think they'd have the sense to show more attractive views of Ellan Vannin? Fair enough, the IOM webcams may be redundant now that we've Google maps and street view. The views I saw were so disappointing.

Edited by Langweilig
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Langweilig said:

I've been looking at the views from the IOM webcams and to be honest, nothing I saw would be called "beautiful" or "inspirational". https://www.gov.im/webcams/douglas-marina/  What a lovely view of Ramsey's sludge-filled harbour at low tide.  If your Government really wants to attract tourists, do you think they'd have the sense to show more attractive views of Ellan Vannin? Fair enough, the IOM webcams may be redundant now that we've Google maps and street view. The views I saw were so disappointing.

A 360 degree camera on Snaefell maybe?

Something like there where I used to live Webcams (flimslaax.com) .

• Like 1