Opportunity Missed?

Derek Flint

1 hour ago, Josem said:

I am open to other suggestions on why asylum seekers are fleeing France (or Belgium) on often-unseaworthy boats. There are probably multiple reasons - the relatively racist nature of big segments of the European Union, the search for a better life in the Anglo-world, and so on.

Much more likely as a result of English so often being peoples second language. Therefore moving to an English speaking country makes resettling much simpler than having to learn another language.

I deal with French people moving to the UK and they think the UK's benefit and health care system is crap.

They also feel that the UK is racist and unwelcoming which has also been reflected in comments from Polish nationals as well.

Even Ukrainians are discovering how racist the current UK Government is.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

So you agree that  Rwanda is a better place for asylum seekers?

For their own safety/ benefit?

And the threat of the Island as a destination would put more people off trying the channel crossing?

I don't think I agree with anything you say.

23 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I deal with French people moving to the UK and they think the UK's benefit and health care system is crap.

Yes, I think the rest of the world would be appalled to learn about the standard of health care compared to other nations. Doctors and nurses are paid poorly, patients suffer long waiting periods to even see a GP!

23 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

They also feel that the UK is racist and unwelcoming which has also been reflected in comments from Polish nationals as well.

Even Ukrainians are discovering how racist the current UK Government is.

On literally every metric, the UK is far more welcoming of migrants than most of Europe. People in the UK have much lower rates of concern of their child marrying someone from another ethnic background, lower levels of concern about having a neighbour from a different ethnic background, and lower levels of concern about having a manager from a different ethnic background. The people of the UK also have generally higher levels of support for migration, and more widespread support for the belief that migrants benefit the receiving nation.

Just look at the public face of Governments: Is there any senior Government leader from a non-native ethnic background in any nation in the EU-27? Let alone from the conservative side of politics? The UK is far more welcoming of migrants than elsewhere in Europe, that's likely a big reason that there is such a strong history of demand from migrants to move to the UK since WW2.

9 minutes ago, Josem said:

Yes, I think the rest of the world would be appalled to learn about the standard of health care compared to other nations. Doctors and nurses are paid poorly, patients suffer long waiting periods to even see a GP!

On literally every metric, the UK is far more welcoming of migrants than most of Europe. People in the UK have much lower rates of concern of their child marrying someone from another ethnic background, lower levels of concern about having a neighbour from a different ethnic background, and lower levels of concern about having a manager from a different ethnic background. The people of the UK also have generally higher levels of support for migration, and more widespread support for the belief that migrants benefit the receiving nation.

Just look at the public face of Governments: Is there any senior Government leader from a non-native ethnic background in any nation in the EU-27? Let alone from the conservative side of politics? The UK is far more welcoming of migrants than elsewhere in Europe, that's likely a big reason that there is such a strong history of demand from migrants to move to the UK since WW2.

Benefits.  Free everything except it's not really free.  The costs are being picked up by the UK taxpayers.  

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

You're nit-picking, hair-splitting. The numbers vary. And really, "very very few" is still a few too many.

Are they acceptable as some sort of collateral damage, in your world view? 

Of course they're acceptable, they're criminals. Let them drown, and then, if they don't drown imprison their worthless brown asses for years with no trial.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, quilp said:

You're nit-picking, hair-splitting. The numbers vary. And really, "very very few" is still a few too many.

Are they acceptable as some sort of collateral damage, in your world view? 

Yes.  Their choice.