Geothermal- Why would this be a bad idea?

0bserver

I’ve often wondered why TFL don’t put heat recovery systems in the Tube system. Most of the year the platforms are hotter than the Centre of the earth. Free energy to power the businesses above, creating more wealth and further screwing the ‘levelling Up’ aspirations.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 8:35 AM, 0bserver said:

The simple way seems to be just to run another (or few more) interconnecters over to the UK. Maybe renew a couple of gas turbines. 

The green lobby already seem to have decided we're throwing up a few hundred wind turbines all over the shop. 

Quite. A cheap, permanent and relatively simple solution like geothermal will not happen because it does not involve lining the pockets of big business. However, it is the long term solution. 

Interconnectors are the quickest solution. Just buy electricity from uk. Let them invest in green technology. They can bear the burden. They can print the money to do it. We cannot. When they print money it devalues the pound, including ours, so indirectly we are paying for the uks green ambitions already. So, spend the £42,000,000 on interconnectors. Import electricity. Immediate green credentials. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Thanks 3

Geo is a non-starter.

IOM could, as others say above, strategically be better off properly integrating into UK and Ireland generation networks once the gas station comes to end of its life and not having a replacement. Incinerator will be getting to end of life then..
The cost of full on capital plant ‘self-sufficiency’ (reliant on imports of gas) means cost of power is too high but there’ll probably be cock waving from MUA and CoMin which means such a bold decision may not even be countenanced.

Cabling tech means reliance on elsewhere is viable, cables are integral to comms / trans national grids and our position is pretty good as a stop off and securing multiple marketinputs.

None of the above would prevent seabed leases for wind or gas to go to other, bigger markets (no chance anything power from IOM seabed will be used here). Nor would it prevent small scale private/local generation over and above micro/householder stuff.

After my energy survey, I’ll be seriously looking at solar/battery options. Anyone done it? If so pls PM me.

21 minutes ago, ian rush said:

Geo is a non-starter.

IOM could, as others say above, strategically be better off properly integrating into UK and Ireland generation networks once the gas station comes to end of its life and not having a replacement. Incinerator will be getting to end of life then..
The cost of full on capital plant ‘self-sufficiency’ (reliant on imports of gas) means cost of power is too high but there’ll probably be cock waving from MUA and CoMin which means such a bold decision may not even be countenanced.

Cabling tech means reliance on elsewhere is viable, cables are integral to comms / trans national grids and our position is pretty good as a stop off and securing multiple marketinputs.

None of the above would prevent seabed leases for wind or gas to go to other, bigger markets (no chance anything power from IOM seabed will be used here). Nor would it prevent small scale private/local generation over and above micro/householder stuff.

After my energy survey, I’ll be seriously looking at solar/battery options. Anyone done it? If so pls PM me.

Exactly, they're laying an interconnector from Morocco to the UK so a couple more to our near neighbours is a no brainer.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Meanwhile the Manx Geological Society are dubious about the whole thing (mainly for the reasons already discussed).

It's only one bloke, rather than a group. He was involved in the Manx Radio discussion, and seemed surprisingly ill-informed on geothermal. He obviously hadn't looked at developments in borehole geothermal in any detail and spent much of his time talking about volcanic geothermal, which is a long way from what's being suggested for the IOM study, largely because of the lack of volcanoes. I don't think he fully understood what was being proposed TBH. 

• 4 weeks later...