Cabinet office growth

Banker

33 minutes ago, Banker said:

When questioned on this by Moulton, Alf said it’s only 197 full time equivalent, so that’s all right then!!

It’s like Ashie raiding the reserves and saying I only borrowed a few £s and I’ll pay it back, it’s meaningless. Like ex CM Quayle Cannan is obsessed with growing the civil service, and he believes that Government is the answer to everyone’s problems. I don’t believe anything that comes out of CM Cannans mouth. I believe Ashies bullshit more. 

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

And bang on cue from today's Indy....

20220429_132740.jpg

Can they not see the ultimate outcome of this, not even long term, but more likely short/ medium term?

Or as soon as the UK gov cut our VAT  again, i.e. when labour get in?

Fu8king idiots

I have 5 to 6 years planned to stay here. If it looks like it's going tits up sooner I will be off quicker than a rat up a drain pipe.

I have already sold my house as it was just too tempting last year during the Covid Boom 🙂 , I am renting back from the buyer and I foresee a massive housing price crash due to our market being based on Buy To Let.....

I'm convinced that growing the PS numbers is Govt's way of maintaining the Island's population figure at "economic critical mass".

That relays itself to consumer consumption which in turn impacts the VAT figures. Simplistic I know, but what's the other reasons?

• Sad 1

On 4/29/2022 at 6:08 AM, asitis said:

I think the most saddening and pertinent post I have read this week on here, ( true or not), is the one about someone moving off as they are worried about medical care and they will live longer should they need care in the UK ! For someone to even alliterate that, is a damning indictment of where it is perceived we are.

Add this to the other long list of why young people, (aka taxpayers), don't stay and we are on the road to hell !

I had hoped Alfred would immediately get a grip of the lunatic spending we are famed for and shift priorities, his interview above suggest he is still justifying the breathtaking sums of money mismanaged by Government.

You must understand that the massive edifice that is IOMG will be the very epitome of corporatist administration with Cannan at the helm

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm convinced that growing the PS numbers is Govt's way of maintaining the Island's population figure at "economic critical mass".

That relays itself to consumer consumption which in turn impacts the VAT figures. Simplistic I know, but what's the other reasons?

It is governments way of creating an in-house electorate

Increasingly untenable with Ashford warning of hard pressed budgets across all departments, & the private sector complaining of the lack of available workers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

It is governments way of creating an in-house electorate

Increasingly untenable with Ashford warning of hard pressed budgets across all departments, & the private sector complaining of the lack of available workers

I will make a prediction here. Ashford is our least competent Treasury Minister in at least 30 years (probably more). He makes Eddie Teare literally look like a genius. They will be stealing money from the NI Fund in less than two years to prop up the spending on public sector salaries if nothing changes. This is almost the worst puppet government we’ve ever had. As you say more people in the public sector means more families who have a reliance on government for their income so it’s an in-house electorate who are all feeding off the same credit line. Can Alf Cannan please say something of substance about anything rather than overseeing disaster and doing nothing? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

He has said all departments are staffed to attain their departmental plans

I assume that’s Ashford as Cannan has literally said nothing since he became CM? What we seem to have seen is a coup d’etat by the unelected Cabinet Office who are now running the IOM without any input from most of the 85,000 people who live here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/29/2022 at 6:25 PM, Boris Johnson said:

have already sold my house as it was just too tempting last year during the Covid Boom 🙂 , I am renting back from the buyer and I foresee a massive housing price crash due to our market being based on Buy To Let.....

... but if you have sold to a BtL, you are part of the problem???

You are probably paying enough rent to finance their buying of your house and when you eff off, they will find another sucker to take your place???

What is your point?

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

I assume that’s Ashford as Cannan has literally said nothing since he became CM? What we seem to have seen is a coup d’etat by the unelected Cabinet Office who are now running the IOM without any input from most of the 85,000 people who live here.

To be fair that was pretty much the situation before the Election as well.  It was just that Quayle thought himself a great communicator and made announcements personally whenever he could.  This did not always work out well.  Cannan doesn't seem to bother even pretending.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bandits said:

I will make a prediction here. Ashford is our least competent Treasury Minister in at least 30 years (probably more). He makes Eddie Teare literally look like a genius. They will be stealing money from the NI Fund in less than two years to prop up the spending on public sector salaries if nothing changes. This is almost the worst puppet government we’ve ever had. As you say more people in the public sector means more families who have a reliance on government for their income so it’s an in-house electorate who are all feeding off the same credit line. Can Alf Cannan please say something of substance about anything rather than overseeing disaster and doing nothing? 

Ashford has coveted a seat at the top table since he was first elected as a Douglas Councillor. He won’t rock the boat, he will say what he is told to say, do what he is told to do, and sign on the dotted line when he is told so. I don’t think he is over intelligent or under intelligent, perfect MHK fodder, so the civil servants will be delighted. 

CM Cannan has been a disappointment really. A Howard Quayle tribute act, except he has more decorum, which compared to ex CM Quayle isn’t hard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Cannan doesn't seem to bother even pretending.

That’s true. I doubt he’ll be communicating when he’s raiding our NI Fund in a few years time either to keep his departments orgy of mismanagement alive. 

• Like 1

I had high hopes for Alf to start with, an Army background should have at least partly endowed him with a no-nonsense outlook and the way he went public initially on DOI shenanigans reinforced that opinion. Now it's relapsed and it makes me wonder if the Chief Secretary has perhaps "had a word".

• Like 6