Isle of Man Steam Packet - Recruitment

Manxweegie

1 minute ago, Manxweegie said:

Surely better to have your own crew trained and committed to the role.

Cal Mac have seasonal vessels and crew also who then pick up temp contracts in the off season but always return when the season starts and people are queuing out the door to work with them. 

Would be good to see some competition in the shipping industry with other providers here too. Now that the Steam Packet is Government-owned, would it be viable to set up another ferry port for use by other operators ?

As an example, Ramsey grew up around the original ferry services that travelled there, and has been in decline since services stopped. If we're looking for an additional 500,000 visitors, would opening up the ferry market to other operators, and stimulating economic growth at another port make sense ?

1 minute ago, The Bastard said:

Would be good to see some competition in the shipping industry with other providers here too. Now that the Steam Packet is Government-owned, would it be viable to set up another ferry port for use by other operators ?

As an example, Ramsey grew up around the original ferry services that travelled there, and has been in decline since services stopped. If we're looking for an additional 500,000 visitors, would opening up the ferry market to other operators, and stimulating economic growth at another port make sense ?

I think another competitor on the Island could certainly make sense. I believe that the major obstacles are that the Steam Packet own the link spans in Douglas (please someone correct me if wrong).

The use of Ramsey as passenger port would also be a viable options if a linkspan could be put in place, open up more regular options to Scotland (Cairnryan would be nice location) or to Northern Ireland (Larne or Belfast). 

12 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

Works for Cal Mac however.

They fund the rating's and OBS (On board Services) training schemes for locals and still pay the best rates in the whole of the UK Ro-Ro sector. 

With the help of a £140m pa subsidy from the Scottish government.

• Like 2

Just now, Yibble said:

With the help of a £140m pa subsidy from the Scottish government.

Not a single Cal Mac route makes any profit.

What it does do however is directly employ over 1700 people and then keeps another 3000-4000 employed indirectly. Which if we take an average salary of £25,000 to 4700 people then it is putting into the economy roughly £117,500,000 based on really crude figures.

I hate subsidising a ferry service I may use once or twice a year, but i also fully understand the lifeline services it supports as someone who grew up on an island.

11 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

I think another competitor on the Island could certainly make sense. I believe that the major obstacles are that the Steam Packet own the link spans in Douglas (please someone correct me if wrong).

The use of Ramsey as passenger port would also be a viable options if a linkspan could be put in place, open up more regular options to Scotland (Cairnryan would be nice location) or to Northern Ireland (Larne or Belfast). 

There’s not the demand & yes government own all the ports plus linkspan

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

if government had any sense they would be encouraging locals to take up a career in the shipping sector , they used to have a scheme  to assist deck and and engineering  cadets get a start   , but given the governments ownership of the Steam packet and its importance to the islands logistical links  you would think it would make sense to support  others who are interested in  getting involved in shipping and crewing related  occupations  ,who are vital to the well being and future of this Island , 

I've never understood, given our maritime history, why IOM has never had a maritime college.

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

I've never understood, given our maritime history, why IOM has never had a maritime college.

A lot to have in place for this.

You would need simulators (Bridge and Engine Room). Locations for doing the STCW's etc, accommodation and then the qualified lecturers.

I would love to see the Isle of Man establish an STCW training centre and would probably be a reason I would return to the Island to set up my own at some point. There is very limited locations in the UK and EU, so why not make the IoM a centre of excellence for seafarer training in Europe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manxweegie said:

A lot to have in place for this.

You would need simulators (Bridge and Engine Room). Locations for doing the STCW's etc, accommodation and then the qualified lecturers.

I would love to see the Isle of Man establish an STCW training centre and would probably be a reason I would return to the Island to set up my own at some point. There is very limited locations in the UK and EU, so why not make the IoM a centre of excellence for seafarer training in Europe. 

Oh I agree about the cost etc. I just wondered why historically we've never had a college. If done it would have to appeal and support the international marine industry not just local or UK/EU students. Which begs the question as to why the ship management companies on the Island have never proposed such a thing. Perhaps they have, I've no idea.

Is the Fleetwood College still going?

1 hour ago, Manxweegie said:

Also true, it is just one of those things that would be nice, that is all. 

Send both into bankruptcy. The one with owners with deepest pockets survives and puts up fares to recoup the losses. We’ve done that before.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Gawne’s School of Navigation at Castle Wragge Douglas Street Peel. Sadly, you and I were possibly around when it was open.

• Like 2