Isle of Man Steam Packet - Recruitment

Manxweegie

26 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

You possibly... not me!

I thought it closed late 1800's!

You’re confusing it with Gawne’s Mathematical School, Gawne’s Court Douglas Road Peel. Same Mr Gawne, different school and premises, related subject.

18 hours ago, Manxweegie said:

Seems the Steam Packet is on the hunt for crew:

image.png.02f336dbe086cb8a5cd319fa610d234a.png

Surely the Steam Packet should be looking for local crew and putting them through the STCW's for these contracts. 

‘Basic clean hotel accommodation’ meaning 2 or 3 people to a room I assume, I’ve looked at these sort of contracts before and they always sound better than they actually are.

24 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

‘Basic clean hotel accommodation’ meaning 2 or 3 people to a room I assume, I’ve looked at these sort of contracts before and they always sound better than they actually are.

Sound better?

I honestly don't think it could sound any worse! 🤣

25 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

Sound better?

I honestly don't think it could sound any worse! 🤣

Do you mean the terms or just how it’s been written? It reads like it’s been translated to English from its original language.

If it was £10.20 an hour, I had my own room and it includes some sort of food  expenses (breakfast or evening meal but both would be nice) I’d do it myself.

Edited by Annoymouse

Difficult to know what full benefits are but £10.20 ph not very attractive, think Starbucks are offering c12 ph & Comis looking for housekeeping & laundry staff on £12 Ph plus cheap use of all facilities & I know at least the bar& admin staff get meals when on duty 

24 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Do you mean the terms or just how it’s been written? It reads like it’s been translated to English from its original language.

If it was £10.20 an hour, I had my own room and it includes some sort of food  expenses (breakfast or evening meal but both would be nice) I’d do it myself.

The terms sorry.

To give a bit of insight the average Steward rate is more around the £14.50 per hour, giving a day rate of about £174.00. The seafarers also would live onboard the vessel and be provided with free accommodation, food and recreation.

Living ashore doesn't have great benefits if you are not already local. 

2 minutes ago, Manxweegie said:

The terms sorry.

To give a bit of insight the average Steward rate is more around the £14.50 per hour, giving a day rate of about £174.00. The seafarers also would live onboard the vessel and be provided with free accommodation, food and recreation.

Living ashore doesn't have great benefits if you are not already local. 

How long would you typically stay away from home? I’ve always thought the job sounds better than it really is, free accommodation/food means you aren’t spending your wages till you get back home (unless supporting family of course), £10.20 is more than minimum wage although seems low for experienced crew, sounds more like a single man’s/woman’s game though.

20 hours ago, John Wright said:

These aren’t deck or engineering crew. They’re the stewards, serving in the lounges and cafe. Seasonal jobs. This isn’t new. It’s been going on 25 years and it’s the going rate. Lots of international competition. It’s the seagoing equivalent of waiting on.

The Baltic and Portuguese have been coming here for years. Even southern Germans. Our very own Amadeus started his Manx connection this way.

Its not bad, accommodation found, return fares and end of season bonus.

Indeed :) Two years I think it was. SeaCat Isle of Man first, then Ben once in a while when the SC was cancelled and in winter on the Lady of Mann, which was the best time. Loved working there but the constant job insecurity (only seasonal contracts. I remember the HR guy coming in on the last day and dumping a load of envelopes on the table before running out. The envelopes contained the letters if you had a job for the winter or not!) and the extremely low pay made it impossible to stay longer. Some of the older staff have permanent contracts, mostly Ben crew, and those are good and solid jobs for life. It's not an easy job but it was good fun over all, especially rough sailings and Irish Weekend on the Lady, which I guess counts as rough sailing as well. 

• Haha 1

Spoke to a member of the Ben crew currently on leave as boat in dry dock.

Been at Steam Packet for 15 years. Lives here. £9.50/hr.

With the new Manxman, Ben crews are being told they'll have to drop the current 1 week on 1 week off. Instead they're being told they'll need to do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and live-in on the boat in crew cabins for the 2 weeks they're on doing 8hrs on, rest, 8hrs on. At the same £9.50/hr. Bonkers.

19 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Spoke to a member of the Ben crew currently on leave as boat in dry dock.

Been at Steam Packet for 15 years. Lives here. £9.50/hr.

With the new Manxman, Ben crews are being told they'll have to drop the current 1 week on 1 week off. Instead they're being told they'll need to do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and live-in on the boat in crew cabins for the 2 weeks they're on doing 8hrs on, rest, 8hrs on. At the same £9.50/hr. Bonkers.

9.50? Wow, hard to believe it would be that bad still. Living on the boat isn’t that bad as you save money on food and running your own place, which is a bonus with current utility prices. We used to stay on the Lady week on week off. Tied up in Alexandra dock for deep clean part of the week, meaning stick a mop and bucket on deck, then fuck off to the Rubber Duck to get drunk :) 

41 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

9.50? Wow, hard to believe it would be that bad still. Living on the boat isn’t that bad as you save money on food and running your own place, which is a bonus with current utility prices. We used to stay on the Lady week on week off. Tied up in Alexandra dock for deep clean part of the week, meaning stick a mop and bucket on deck, then fuck off to the Rubber Duck to get drunk :) 

For a bloke who lives on the Island and has a wife/family here, he's not particularly keen on being forced to live on the Manxman if he wants to keep his job.

Wonder how long it'll take Steam Packet to sacrifice local workers for agency like P&O?