Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

I wonder why Mr Moorhouse is 'shocked' that the Police have eventually started doing what they said they were going to do some weeks back.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/residents-shocked-to-be-fined-for-parking-on-pavements-outside-homes/

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/dont-park-on-pavements-urge-police/

Maybe he doesn't read the news

• Like 2

Moorehouse is whinging about the police concentration of housing estates. If both sides of the road are full of cars, then I’m sure it’s difficult for the emergency vehicles - fire, ambulance or police - to get through especially if there is a fire. If vehicles are parked on a pavement then people moan that they can’t have unfettered access. If this was the case, I’m sure that Moorehouse would probably put a question down, about inconsiderate car parking of drivers parking half on the highway and half on the road. A political chameleon.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Moorehouse is whinging about the police concentration of housing estates. If both sides of the road are full of cars, then I’m sure it’s difficult for the emergency vehicles - fire, ambulance or police - to get through especially if there is a fire. If vehicles are parked on a pavement then people moan that they can’t have unfettered access. If this was the case, I’m sure that Moorehouse would probably put a question down, about inconsiderate car parking of drivers parking half on the highway and half on the road. A political chameleon.

That's a good observation. Clearly there are levels of naughtiness with respect to parking on the pavements. A bit on, half on, fully on. 

The best way to avoid is never park on any part of the pavement at anytime. THEY ARE FOR PEDESTRIANS. If people can't get that and they choose to take the risk, I have no sympathy and I can't believe an MHK has the stupidity to defend it or try to cloud the issue. If he was a real politician he would be brave enough to tell his constituents that they only have themselves to blame. Stop whinging, pay the fine, don't park on the footpath. 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's a good observation. Clearly there are levels of naughtiness with respect to parking on the pavements. A bit on, half on, fully on. 

The best way to avoid is never park on any part of the pavement at anytime. THEY ARE FOR PEDESTRIANS. If people can't get that and they choose to take the risk, I have no sympathy and I can't believe an MHK has the stupidity to defend it or try to cloud the issue. If he was a real politician he would be brave enough to tell his constituents that they only have themselves to blame. Stop whinging, pay the fine, don't park on the footpath. 

I can only assume that Moorehouse has constituents from local authority housing estates who have been fined? Therein lies the problem, certain MHKs devote energies to certain sectors and groupings, whilst others can go forth and multiply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I wonder why Mr Moorhouse is 'shocked' that the Police have eventually started doing what they said they were going to do some weeks back.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/residents-shocked-to-be-fined-for-parking-on-pavements-outside-homes/

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/dont-park-on-pavements-urge-police/

Maybe he doesn't read the news

Parking is a huge problem both in housing estates and shopping areas which have not been properly policed for years or even decades. The police need to start enforcing traffic law before the roads are impassable.

• Like 1

Some of the pavements round our way are in a right mess because of people parking/driving on pavements, it’s mostly delivery drivers which is somewhat understandable due to the volume of online orders but some kerbs are badly cracked/chipped as a result with chunks coming away in places, part of the pavement is sunken from the overnight parkers, creating an uneven walkway, that’s if you can avoid the dog shit, it’s probably safer walking on the road to be honest.

Edited by Annoymouse

14 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

When you have houses with two or three cars, there are always going to be problems. Just take a walk around and look at the number of people who have drives but never park their cars on them preferring to park them on the roadside

My neighbour (i know through my curtain twitching) between them have 7 cars, there's 3 adults that i see drive, their drive is big enough for 1. 

This example is why there will always be a problem with parking here and any where else.

If i park on my drive it gets blocked in by some numpty who has no spatial awareness (especially at school drop off and pick up time), if I use the spot on the road i have a permit for i don't. 

This is another example of why there will always be a problem with parking, all the drives on our road regularly get blocked in by visitors to the nearby government buildings.