Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

Douglas wanted people to move back to central Douglas, to be closer to work, drive less and help the enviroment. But then didn't oppose the traffic wardens chasing parkers in central Douglas!!!

Has douglas' retail suffered from this???

But then I've seen Govt workers come out with a bunch of car keys to change the disk times??? Hopefully they buy their lunch at a douglas sandwich shop!!!

9 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Isn't that what we all pay into the road licence fund for?

Probably- but I didn’t pay a third of a million pounds for a house to look at the side of neighbours work vans and campers who block junctions and sight lines all weekend.   Round my way I have untaxed work vans, campers and large commercials parked up on the streets while the owners park their multiple cars on their driveways.  They don’t want the view from their window spoilt by their vans, but quite happily ruin it for everyone else.  Several are just used as sheds, or are being repaired on the street.  

If you run a business, park the things at work and use one of your many cars.   If you own a camper that gets used once a year, park it on your own bloody land or pay to keep it somewhere.   NOT 2 foot from junctions and other peoples driveways or windows.

My deeds state no commercial parking  - but that just get ignored by plenty here.    

Plod and the DOI don’t give a shit about the untaxed sheds, even when they get driven around the corner to get loaded with more stuff for storage.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Moulton has an interview on the subject:

What does seem odd is that local authorities have been 'consulted' as to where they think should exempt (rather than included) in a general ban in their areas, but there has been no general consultation about the regulations that might might apply.  I can't see how you can you can determine the 'where' without determining the 'what' and 'how' first and what vehicles it would apply to and for what periods.

Whether you are for some sort of ban or not there are clearly details that need to be ironed out and the only way to do this will be through informed discussion, including as to how any regulations will be enforced (are existing ones?).  Otherwise nobody will be happy, nobody will know what to do and everyone will complain.

These vehicles are licensed to be on the roads. If they can no longer stay on the roads then alternatives have to be found. Good luck with that…

Bottom line is, it’s not going to happen. They’re going to stay exactly wher  they are and we have to get used to them. There is no workable solution to this. Government aren’t going to make facilities available and even if they did, licences holders aren’t going to agree to having their vehicles parked miles away from their homes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

These vehicles are licensed to be on the roads. If they can no longer stay on the roads then alternatives have to be found. Good luck with that…

Bottom line is, it’s not going to happen. They’re going to stay exactly wher  they are and we have to get used to them. There is no workable solution to this. Government aren’t going to make facilities available and even if they did, licences holders aren’t going to agree to having their vehicles parked miles away from their homes. 

This proposed legislation will probably collapse or will be pulled by the DOI, another embarrassing cock up. There are solutions and compromises but IOMG don’t do compromises. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gizo said:

Just so that huge campervan can be moved from the main road in Colby by Ballakeyl estate which blocks all visual along the road. Cunts the lot of them. 

That one is in a terrible position, been there for ages. Remarkable really that it hasn't (afaik) caused accidents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That one is in a terrible position, been there for ages. Remarkable really that it hasn't (afaik) caused accidents.

This is case in point where, with some common sense and a bit of compassion would absolve the need for these new decisive laws.

Just don’t be a dick. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

Probably- but I didn’t pay a third of a million pounds for a house to look at the side of neighbours work vans and campers who block junctions and sight lines all weekend.   Round my way I have untaxed work vans, campers and large commercials parked up on the streets while the owners park their multiple cars on their driveways.  They don’t want the view from their window spoilt by their vans, but quite happily ruin it for everyone else.  Several are just used as sheds, or are being repaired on the street.  

If you run a business, park the things at work and use one of your many cars.   If you own a camper that gets used once a year, park it on your own bloody land or pay to keep it somewhere.   NOT 2 foot from junctions and other peoples driveways or windows.

My deeds state no commercial parking  - but that just get ignored by plenty here.    

Plod and the DOI don’t give a shit about the untaxed sheds, even when they get driven around the corner to get loaded with more stuff for storage.  

If they actually enforced a lack of tax in any reasonable way, rather than just a few sabre rattling events here and there, you'd resolve part of the problem.

Suddenly it gets expensive to have your shed, as it needs to be insured and taxed, and people are getting pulled up for it.

What really needs to happen is a way for dealing with nuisance vehicles, or, just actually dealing with them.

There's often existing rules or legislation that do apply, and just don't get widely applied.

image.png.ff60309550a67f14dec45abc3a83b89c.png.

You could, theoretically nab a lot of these vehicles on the lighting laws too. You have to have your parking lights on at night per the highway code.

I've seen it happen across in places where parking was causing a nuisance. A bunch of valid fixed penalty notices and half the problem disappeared.

image.png.d9357718f5cda1fbe7ba211af40ebc9a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kopek said:

There have been many calls from MF posters to allow Douglas retail to flourish.

Yet today there was a traffic warden booking customers on the Terrace!

Is that conducive to a thriving retail area???

If you are stopping on the Terrace for a quick shop or takeaway, would you think a disk time was required???

Then again, I don't want them parking in my street!!!!!!!!

It’s a 30 minute stay at the Terrace. Where are you shopping there that takes longer? Also I hope they were booking the ones who park all over the corners right next to the junctions because they are too lazy to drive round for a space. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a huge motor home round the corner from me, on a bus route, causing problems that never moves.    Must have cost a fortune just sits there too big to go on the owners driveway so it is left to cause disruption and will probably be responsible for an accident.    It is cases like this that is driving this traffic act forward .

• Like 1

Thinking out of the box as we pay farmers countryside care for looking after the countryside? ( a lot of farms I’ve seen have junk rubble old vehicles lying around) why don’t the gov compulsory purchase half a field here and there all around the island then fence and tarmac it of, then rent out pitches to mobile homes etc. 

Half to gov and half to farmers collected from rent. 
The trouble is if nothing is done the situation is only going to get worse as population increases, who would have thought 15/20 years ago that lifestyle vans would be the in thing to have.

1 hour ago, ADELE said:

There is a huge motor home round the corner from me, on a bus route, causing problems that never moves.    Must have cost a fortune just sits there too big to go on the owners driveway so it is left to cause disruption and will probably be responsible for an accident.    It is cases like this that is driving this traffic act forward .

Don't know for sure but I think the authorities already have the power to remove a vehicle which is obstructing the road. No new powers needed.