Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

A bit radical I know, but why doesn’t someone just knock on their door and suggest that they move it? 

It seems that unenforceable laws are being considered when surely the easier and more sensible option would just be to tell those people that they are causing a danger to others by their choice of parking spot.

Don’t the police have a responsibility here to keep roads clear of obstructions? 

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

A bit radical I know, but why doesn’t someone just knock on their door and suggest that they move it? 

It seems that unenforceable laws are being considered when surely the easier and more sensible option would just be to tell those people that they are causing a danger to others by their choice of parking spot.

Don’t the police have a responsibility here to keep roads clear of obstructions? 

Yes I am sure they will reply with a fond "Thank you so much for pointing this out for me, I will move it forthwith"

Or maybe

"Why don't you fuck off and mind your own business"

I know what my money would be on.😬😬

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes I am sure they will reply with a fond "Thank you so much for pointing this out for me, I will move it forthwith"

Or maybe

Do you live in a nice neighbourhood?

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Or maybe

My point is that we are creating more polices and laws when we already have many of the solutions in place. It just needs some collective responsibility in the short term and if that is unsuccessful, then official intervention to ensure our existing laws are upheld. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

My point is that we are creating more polices and laws when we already have many of the solutions in place. It just needs some collective responsibility in the short term and if that is unsuccessful, then official intervention to ensure our existing laws are upheld. 

You are absolutely right. I think the best way forward would be to toughen up the legislation a bit but only use it when there is no other choice. People should be given opportunity to understand that they can't behave in an  antisocial way. Maybe a a warning. 

Fixed penalty, last resort. 

39 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Easier way would be to just change the rules around ownership and registration.  

When you want to buy/register a motorhome you have to show evidence of an off road location to park it. 

Until then leave it as is and just phase it in.

What about big vans? 

42 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Easier way would be to just change the rules around ownership and registration.  

When you want to buy/register a motorhome you have to show evidence of an off road location to park it. 

Until then leave it as is and just phase it in.

It wouldn’t work Observer. The majority of people aren’t going to spend 70k on a motorhome and have it parked miles away. They want it outside their door where they can come and go to it.

And, even if they did agree, there aren’t anything like enough secure locations to accommodate them. 

These laws aren’t going to happen. They can’t because the alternatives are worse and the police will have to enforce it. They’re not going to be doing that. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

What about big vans? 

How big? Work vans have always parked outside houses. Is the situation any worse now than it’s always been? 

Edited by Roxanne
Changed peeled to parked.

15 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It wouldn’t work Observer. The majority of people aren’t going to spend 70k on a motorhome and have it parked miles away. They want it outside their door where they can come and go to it.

And, even if they did agree, there aren’t anything like enough secure locations to accommodate them. 

These laws aren’t going to happen. They can’t because the alternatives are worse and the police will have to enforce it. They’re not going to be doing that. 

Out of dare I fear. 70k is very much bottom end. The van I have on order is well over 100k. It is quite small (6.4m x 2 2m).

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

How big? Work vans have always peeled outside houses. Is the situation any worse now than it’s always been? 

It seems different areas have different problems. TbH there is not a single motorhome around the area I live so they are not an issue. Vans are the issue. Not so much the work vans. Don't mind work vans so long as the owners don't take the piss. It's the sheds on wheels that piss me off. Never move. Big rust buckets full of crao. Eyesores. Rotten through and through. Not even roadworthy. Parked on the footpath. Etc. Etc. 

• Like 1

The SUV/4x4 brigade will also be hit hard by this.

It would be interesting to see which areas have the highest density of tall long vehiclessl, camper or otherwise.  My guess would be council estates and this policy will penalise council tenants disproportionately.

5 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The SUV/4x4 brigade will also be hit hard by this.

It would be interesting to see which areas have the highest density of tall long vehiclessl, camper or otherwise.  My guess would be council estates and this policy will penalise council tenants disproportionately.

its definitely aimed at people without drives/off road parking.

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Or maybe

Depends on the person.

Some people will be very reasonable and if it's pointed out to them, they will actually try and resolve it.

If they tell you to fuck off and chin you, well, you might've resolved the problem anyway if they get themselves in trouble for it.