Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

16 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The proposed changes don't mention asking you whether the vehicle can be exempt through usage. Nor should they.

If they're taxed (and therefore insured) what business is it of yours what a vehicle owner does with their vehicle?

This used to be a tolerant place, are you really that possessive about a parking space? Would it really kill you to walk a couple of streets to your house? Live and let live.

I don't live in Peel. I went there a few weeks back. Not been for ages. I couldn't believe all the crap parked on the streets, on the quay and even in the main car park. 

Heaps of junk. Don't even look road worthy. There was a black pick up in the car park. Rusting away. One of the tyres was an odd one out. It had air in.  

Open your eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

I don't live in Peel. I went there a few weeks back. Not been for ages. I couldn't believe all the crap parked on the streets, on the quay and even in the main car park. 

Heaps of junk. Don't even look road worthy. There was a black pick up in the car park. Rusting away. One of the tyres was an odd one out. It had air in.  

Open your eyes. 

There are already laws in place to deal with unroadworthy vehicles. We don't need any more.

Luckily the don't include a vehicle being judged as "crap" by some bigoted snob who think anyone who can't afford a vehicle that looks nice shouldn't be allowed on the road. We can't have the riff-raff spoiling your view now can we.

Live and let live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

There are already laws in place to deal with unroadworthy vehicles. We don't need any more.

Luckily the don't include a vehicle being judged as "crap" by some bigoted snob who think anyone who can't afford a vehicle that looks nice shouldn't be allowed on the road. We can't have the riff-raff spoiling your view now can we.

Live and let live.

Live and let live being a two way process?

What I am seeing and talking about is not live and let live. It's a selfish one way process.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

They pay vehicle licensing along with everyone else and part of that is being entitled to park in the streets. How do you come to translate that into selfishness? 

Parking on the footpath is selfish. Causing parents to have to cross the road or battle with hedgerows is selfish. Obscuring junctions by parking on double yellow lines is selfish. Both of these things are illegal but tolerated for some reason.

In terms of being legally entitled to park. Yes if your vehicle is taxed and insured I agree, there is no law breaking. Does it make you a good neighbour? We'll have to agree to disagree. If I had 3 cars and 2 big vans and lived on a street where parking is difficult , I would be embarrassed and I would try to be considerate. Not everyone has my personal values unfortunately, some people don't give a fuck about anyone else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Parking on the footpath is selfish. Causing parents to have to cross the road or battle with hedgerows is selfish. Obscuring junctions by parking on double yellow lines is selfish. Both of these things are illegal but tolerated for some reason.

In terms of being legally entitled to park. Yes if your vehicle is taxed and insured I agree, there is no law breaking. Does it make you a good neighbour? We'll have to agree to disagree. If I had 3 cars and 2 big vans and lived on a street where parking is difficult , I would be embarrassed and I would try to be considerate. Not everyone has my personal values unfortunately, some people don't give a fuck about anyone else. 

The house opposite me runs a business with up to five vans parking mostly outside my house at any given time. They park up to my driveway entrance, so l often can't see safely out of my driveway. The bus struggles to get past sometimes.   

On a recent visit to my son's house,  noticed his neighbours respect the curtesy of parking outside their property.

But as you rightly pointed out, some people don't actually care. Times are changing l'm afraid.  

Just to add , the Ltd. Co. mentioned above is registered to a commercial property in Douglas, not of on my residential road.  

Edited by Lilly
Added last sentence
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Do all of your neighbours have three cars and two vans? It sounds like you are one of the most misfortunate people ever. Have you ever considered talking to them about their selfishness or do you just prefer to complain about them behind their backs? 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Do all of your neighbours have three cars and two vans? It sounds like you are one of the most misfortunate people ever. Have you ever considered talking to them about their selfishness or do you just prefer to complain about them behind their backs? 

How can I complain when they live 2 streets away from me? They don't effect me. They effect an elderly couple that I know and that pisses me off. I am just using him as an example. Two big vans and he neither of them used for his work. He goes to work in his Audi TT. 

3 hours ago, quilp said:

It's a good job we have you here to remind us.

To be fair, most of my neighbours are nice people and they consider others. As I am sure you would too. Out of maybe 30 or 40 properties there are about 3 that are occupied by total selfish wankers who spoil it for everyone else. I guess it always been that way. 

And before anyone says it.....I am not one of the 3 😅

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How can I complain when they live 2 streets away from me?

You don’t need to complain, you could just point out how inconvenient their parking is to your neighbours. Sometimes people just need a bit of a nudge. It’s either that, or you take your own words that it doesn’t affect you and let it go. If it’s out of your control, all you’re doing is making yourself upset for no reason. Much better though to just knock on their door. Who knows, you might make a new friend. That would be nice, wouldn’t it? 

• Haha 1