Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

To be fair, most of my neighbours are nice people and they consider others. As I am sure you would too. Out of maybe 30 or 40 properties there are about 3 that are occupied by total selfish wankers who spoil it for everyone else. I guess it always been that way. 

And before anyone says it.....I am not one of the 3 😅

Stick a couple of Tek screws in the sidewall of their tires at night under the cover of darkness a few times and I am sure they will move away.

No seriously.

Cordless drill and these babies - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Screws-Drilling-Farmer-Sealing-WASHERS/dp/B093ZBK36W/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=24PL9FKB57S5F&keywords=tek%2Bscrews&qid=1693242424&sprefix=tek%2Bscrews%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Edited by Blade Runner

57 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Stick a couple of Tek screws in the sidewall of their tires at night under the cover of darkness a few times and I am sure they will move away.

No seriously.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Screws-Drilling-Farmer-Sealing-WASHERS/dp/B093ZBK36W/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=24PL9FKB57S5F&keywords=tek%2Bscrews&qid=1693242424&sprefix=tek%2Bscrews%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Idiot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

You don’t need to complain, you could just point out how inconvenient their parking is to your neighbours. Sometimes people just need a bit of a nudge. It’s either that, or you take your own words that it doesn’t affect you and let it go. If it’s out of your control, all you’re doing is making yourself upset for no reason. Much better though to just knock on their door. Who knows, you might make a new friend. That would be nice, wouldn’t it? 

I'm not upset TBH @Roxanne. Just joining in the discussion. I genuinely think that legislation needs to be toughened up, although the current proposal seems a bit Draconian.

I would rather see a situation where everyone takes a bit of responsibility for their actions but I doubt it will happen. 

We do have a problem here with troublesome vehicles. Not keen on MOTs or that discussion but if you go to other beauty spots in the world then the prevalence of old and decrepit vehicles does not seems as much of an issue as it does here. Can you imagine a public car park in say, Windermere, where it's ok to leave an old rusty pick up with 3 flat tyres and for people to actually defend that as being ok?

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

No seriously.

You are joking 🙃 🙂 🤣. Maybe not!

I have to add to that point when  l could have easily broken the law when l came home with my husband, who had just completed a harsh chemotherapy session, and l couldn't get into my own driveway as the people opposite had a van partially parked across my driveway. I must admit to losing it.  I went banging on their door and l actually swore.  It didn't do any good.  These perfect citizens just parked even more vehicles outside my house obscuring my vision to get out my driveway.

Edited by Lilly
Missing words
  • Sad 1

Truth is, motorists are the most selfish huming beans on the roads!!! Do what I want not what You want!!!

There must be hundreds of parking spaces lost to selfish parking!!!!

Try arguing with them? Well, you could try!

10 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Truth is, motorists are the most selfish huming beans on the roads!!! Do what I want not what You want!!!

There must be hundreds of parking spaces lost to selfish parking!!!!

Try arguing with them? Well, you could try!

You are correct.. l don't let it get to me anymore, l just parked my car across my own driveway when l had enough of these idiots. :D 

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

@RoxanneCan you imagine a public car park in say, Windermere, where it's ok to leave an old rusty pick up with 3 flat tyres and for people to actually defend that as being ok?

Which beauty spot car park do we have that in here?

I know a great many car parks here that are generally fairly full of - well cars. I can't say that I concern myself with the four tyre pressures of each one, nor whether they have any rust on or not. It's really none of my business.

We have legislation to cover these things though. It is against the law to use an unroadworthy vehicle on the public road (including public car parks). Vehicles also have to be taxed and therefore insured.

legislation should be a last resort. We have more than enough legislation covering this "problem" already, we don't need any more!

Especially if it's only purpose is to placate some busybody who doesn't want anybody poorer than him clogging up the carparks with unsightly vehicles.

Edited by A fool and his money.....
Illiteracy.

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Which beauty spot car park do we have that in here?

I know a great many car parks here that are generally fairly full of - well cars. I can't say that I concern myself with the four tyre pressures of each one, nor whether they have any rust on or not. It's really none of my business.

We have legislation to cover these things though. It is against the law to use an unroadworthy vehicle on the public road (including public car parks). Vehicles also have to be taxed and therefore insured.

legislation should be a last resort. We have more than enough legislation covering this "problem" already, we don't need any more!

Especially if it's only purpose is to placate some busybody who doesn't want anybody poorer than him clogging up the carparks with unsightly vehicles.

You are missing the point. I went to visit Peel. To attempt to spend some money there. I was put off by not being able to park in the main car park.

The vehicle I am talking about did not have low tyre pressures, they were totally flat and looked like they had been for many weeks. Indicating to me that the vehicle has not moved for sometime. 

The good thing though is that they were only flat at the bottom. I will admit that. 🤣

11 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not upset TBH @Roxanne. Just joining in the discussion. I genuinely think that legislation needs to be toughened up, although the current proposal seems a bit Draconian.

I would rather see a situation where everyone takes a bit of responsibility for their actions but I doubt it will happen. 

We do have a problem here with troublesome vehicles. Not keen on MOTs or that discussion but if you go to other beauty spots in the world then the prevalence of old and decrepit vehicles does not seems as much of an issue as it does here. Can you imagine a public car park in say, Windermere, where it's ok to leave an old rusty pick up with 3 flat tyres and for people to actually defend that as being ok?

11 hours ago, Lilly said:

You are joking 🙃 🙂 🤣. Maybe not!

I have to add to that point when  l could have easily broken the law when l came home with my husband, who had just completed a harsh chemotherapy session, and l couldn't get into my own driveway as the people opposite had a van partially parked across my driveway. I must admit to losing it.  I went banging on their door and l actually swore.  It didn't do any good.  These perfect citizens just parked even more vehicles outside my house obscuring my vision to get out my driveway.

That’s awful Lily, and yes, HD, I can see where you are coming from. I’m lucky enough to live somewhere where we alL take care of one another and I’m guilty of making the mistake of assuming that everyone else does too.  When you make the attempt to appeal to your neighbours reasonableness and it’s ignored then yes, I can see that that is difficult to live with. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That’s awful Lily, and yes, HD, I can see where you are coming from. I’m lucky enough to live somewhere where we alL take care of one another and I’m guilty of making the mistake of assuming that everyone else does too.  When you make the attempt to appeal to your neighbours reasonableness and it’s ignored then yes, I can see that that is difficult to live with. 

I just think some people are incapable of considering others, I'm still living there. Just.:shifty:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You are missing the point. I went to visit Peel. To attempt to spend some money there. I was put off by not being able to park in the main car park.

The vehicle I am talking about did not have low tyre pressures, they were totally flat and looked like they had been for many weeks. Indicating to me that the vehicle has not moved for sometime. 

The good thing though is that they were only flat at the bottom. I will admit that. 🤣

Happier Diner's got a point. It's not clear what the point of many of the town car parks is - long term car storage, resident's parking or short term business trade/visitors. Nothing wrong with any of these uses however when left as a free for all it's inevitably the first two that fill up whatever space is provided and discourage the third.  

On 8/29/2023 at 1:49 PM, Mercenary said:

Happier Diner's got a point. It's not clear what the point of many of the town car parks is - long term car storage, resident's parking or short term business trade/visitors. Nothing wrong with any of these uses however when left as a free for all it's inevitably the first two that fill up whatever space is provided and discourage the third.  

Why not just put a 5 day or similar limit on parking in these car parks?

That would stop the dumping of scrap and could be easily policed with a cheap CCTV setup.

• Like 1