Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Why put this on the news. Why not just prosecute them all. Surely the fire service have some sway with the police 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/motorists-reminded-to-leave-room-for-fire-engines-when-parking/

Nothing will change until dangerous parking becomes something that is not tolerated. 

They should have posted the number plate so the persons could be named.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Banker said:

They should have posted the number plate so the persons could be named.

i seem to recall many years ago a fireman was prosecuted for pushing past cars parked badly to get to the scene of a fire, the car owners should have been the ones who were done.

• Like 1

Poor parking is a problem around East Douglas, not just the car but parking on a water access.

I complained years ago and was told that the Fire Truck would ''find'' a way though!!!

I thought there was an understanding that emergency vehicles could barge their way through? Certainly has happened on the approach to Rally stages.

The softly, keep the public on board is probably yhe best approach?

• 2 weeks later...

Can't be sure that this hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but as far as caravans on the island are concerned, some people have a permit to use them but others can't apply? It seems that if you have one, you can buy another caravan but need to either sell your caravan to another permit holder, or off the island?

Is it legal to discriminate against one section of the community by allowing one section to do something without permitting the others to participate? i.e. granting permits to some but not others for no apparent reason?

I'm not thinking of purchasing a caravan and can see the obvious concerns, it just smacks of an ill considered piece of legislation, as when I inquired, I wasn't given anything like a satisfactory or knowledgable answer! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Can't be sure that this hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but as far as caravans on the island are concerned, some people have a permit to use them but others can't apply? It seems that if you have one, you can buy another caravan but need to either sell your caravan to another permit holder, or off the island?

Is it legal to discriminate against one section of the community by allowing one section to do something without permitting the others to participate? i.e. granting permits to some but not others for no apparent reason?

I'm not thinking of purchasing a caravan and can see the obvious concerns, it just smacks of an ill considered piece of legislation, as when I inquired, I wasn't given anything like a satisfactory or knowledgable answer! 

Under the discrimination act there are protected groups. I'm pretty sure caravan owners isn't on the list

• Haha 2

I think you will find caravan owners require planning permission  to keep a caravan on land or on their driveway for more then 30 days ,  they seem to be popping up everywhere , next thing they will be left  at beauty spots   Peel and other local authorities offer a service to caravan and mobile home  owners  to store them for the winter , but like everything else on the isle of man  government and the authorities turn a blind eye , there are even some parked up on the highway !

The ban on caravans used to be very strict, and special permission was needed to put one on the boat. Hepolite pistons used to bring one over for TT and had to get a permit before the Steamie would touch it, and when Radio Manx started they needed to jump through a lot of hoops to stick one in the field at Signpost. Hoteliers and boarding house keepers were dead against them for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

According to the government there only seem to be two categories of people allowed to have caravans on the Island.  Visitors are allowed to bring one over if they can show a return ticket for it (within 12 weeks) and have a booking for the period at an 'approved' campsite.  Which presumably implies one approved for campervans.  A permit will be issued to such people.

The second category is residents who already have a caravan.  These are able to take it off-Island and return with it (or even replace it when away).  But it says: Residents [...] are unable to import a caravan onto the Island on a permanent basis.  So presumably no more permits will be issued, but those who already have one have 'grandfathered' rights.

Caravans always used to be kept off the Island by the simple fact that the Steam Packet refused to carry them.  Presumably some have managed in the past to get round this (perhaps from Steamie laxness) when it was not legally forbidden and so rather than make them illegal retrospectively, they have just made it impossible for them to be sold on.

It's not really clear if it is illegal to own a caravan or just to move them off or on the Island without the required permit.  It's even possible that the whole thing is bluff and there's insufficient legal backing for this (wouldn't be the first time).  But that seems to be the situation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not really clear if it is illegal to own a caravan or just to move them off or on the Island without the required permit.  It's even possible that the whole thing is bluff and there's insufficient legal backing for this (wouldn't be the first time).  But that seems to be the situation.

That's exactly what I found when I emailed the DoI for clarification, nobody seemed to know, although I had to wait for a reply from someone who was supposed to know. When I further queried, I didn't get a reply!

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

According to the government there only seem to be two categories of people allowed to have caravans on the Island.  Visitors are allowed to bring one over if they can show a return ticket for it (within 12 weeks) and have a booking for the period at an 'approved' campsite.  Which presumably implies one approved for campervans.  A permit will be issued to such people.

The second category is residents who already have a caravan.  These are able to take it off-Island and return with it (or even replace it when away).  But it says: Residents [...] are unable to import a caravan onto the Island on a permanent basis.  So presumably no more permits will be issued, but those who already have one have 'grandfathered' rights.

Caravans always used to be kept off the Island by the simple fact that the Steam Packet refused to carry them.  Presumably some have managed in the past to get round this (perhaps from Steamie laxness) when it was not legally forbidden and so rather than make them illegal retrospectively, they have just made it impossible for them to be sold on.

I'm not seeing why caravans are even an issue. Not compared to all the crappy old vans strewn around the island. 

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I seem to remember that years ago it was an "unspoken law", in order to keep out what were perceived as "the travelling classes" in our society, ie gypsies etc.

• Like 1

Its bad enough trying to get past a Fiat Punto being driven at 47.3mph in a free for all zone. Let alone some numpty who has no clue about towing a 4x6 two wheeled trailer to the dump every other millennium. And then dumping it anywhere they please for 48 weeks of the year, that also boils my piss. Trailers should be taxed and shown to be insured, maybe they would think about parking them safely. 

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Its bad enough trying to get past a Fiat Punto being driven at 47.3mph in a free for all zone. Let alone some numpty who has no clue about towing a 4x6 two wheeled trailer to the dump every other millennium. And then dumping it anywhere they please for 48 weeks of the year, that also boils my piss. Trailers should be taxed and shown to be insured, maybe they would think about parking them safely. 

AFAIK it's against the law to leave a trailer on the highway unless it is attached to a taxed and insured vehicle. 

Not that anyone enforced this, although I have to say I haven't seen any caravans parked on the road. Plenty of trailerss though including one that parks at the end of tromode road every day in the layby. The layby has been commandeered as a parking spot for a gardener