Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

AFAIK it's against the law to leave a trailer on the highway unless it is attached to a taxed and insured vehicle. 

Guy I was contracting for got a parking ticket on a towed cement mixer cos it wasn't attached to anything. It was very funny.

22 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There's no discrimination...I view caravan owners and wannabe caravan owners with the exact same level of contempt. 

Lee Evans is great. It's a pity that in order to stay popular he has had to adapt his act to splattering the word 'fkn' into every sentence in order to get the laugh.

Billy Connolly (for it was he) has an awful lot to answer for.

Walk down Strand Street or sit in a pub or on a bus and you will soon hear the oh so funny people giving it eff and jeff. It's a shit reflection on our society and the British/English language. Utter fuckin' shit (geddit?)

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

According to the government there only seem to be two categories of people allowed to have caravans on the Island.  Visitors are allowed to bring one over if they can show a return ticket for it (within 12 weeks) and have a booking for the period at an 'approved' campsite.  Which presumably implies one approved for campervans.  A permit will be issued to such people.

The second category is residents who already have a caravan.  These are able to take it off-Island and return with it (or even replace it when away).  But it says: Residents [...] are unable to import a caravan onto the Island on a permanent basis.  So presumably no more permits will be issued, but those who already have one have 'grandfathered' rights.

Caravans always used to be kept off the Island by the simple fact that the Steam Packet refused to carry them.  Presumably some have managed in the past to get round this (perhaps from Steamie laxness) when it was not legally forbidden and so rather than make them illegal retrospectively, they have just made it impossible for them to be sold on.

It's not really clear if it is illegal to own a caravan or just to move them off or on the Island without the required permit.  It's even possible that the whole thing is bluff and there's insufficient legal backing for this (wouldn't be the first time).  But that seems to be the situation.

Cheers our Rog.

I remember watching The Commitments film and there is a line where Aunt Vera (or whoever it was) had "taken the caravan to the Isle of Man for a holiday". I discovered a few manxies in the audience by their vocal correction of "you're not allowed caravans on the Isle of Man".

An angle not mentioned here btw, is that the caravan thing could well be to prevent 'travellers' setting up camp here. A matter which is still a blight on any green bit of land urban or otherwise in parts of UK. 

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

AFAIK it's against the law to leave a trailer on the highway unless it is attached to a taxed and insured vehicle. 

Not that anyone enforced this, although I have to say I haven't seen any caravans parked on the road. Plenty of trailerss though including one that parks at the end of tromode road every day in the layby. The layby has been commandeered as a parking spot for a gardener 

There's one parked on the Bride road near the entrance to the CA site I suspect someone is living in it while the house it's parked outside of is being renovated.

Edited by finlo

1 hour ago, finlo said:

There's one parked on the Bride road near the entrance to the CA site I suspect someone is living in it while the house it's parked of is being renovated.

It's a SE Asian family who are renovating the property, they've been on it for months and look to have spent a fortune. The worrying thing is, it's only about 10ft from the edge of the cliff now 🥺

There were a number of caravans brought over in the name of shelters for TT/MGP marshals too, they used to be dotted round the course, 11th milestone and before the erection of the Mike Casey shelter before the Black Hut sprung to mind.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It's a SE Asian family who are renovating the property, they've been on it for months and look to have spent a fortune. The worrying thing is, it's only about 10ft from the edge of the cliff now 🥺

There were a number of caravans brought over in the name of shelters for TT/MGP marshals too, they used to be dotted round the course, 11th milestone and before the erection of the Mike Casey shelter before the Black Hut sprung to mind.

these were all put into storage  for the winter , and only used for the TT and MGP  replaced now by decent permenent marshals shelters