Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

Just now, Pipsqueak said:

if newer housing estates had to have roadways of sufficient width to allow for on street parking and room for HGV's to get through at the same time these issues would be less so 

You’re right, most of the new estates still only have space for 2 cars per household and no provision whatsoever for on street parking.

HGV access isn’t an issue when being built so I’m not sure what planning could do, I dare say there would be more red tape involved if there was a provision for on street parking at planning stage.

43 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

When you have houses with two or three cars, there are always going to be problems. Just take a walk around and look at the number of people who have drives but never park their cars on them preferring to park them on the roadside

One of my neighbours has two cars and a driveway big enough to comfortably accommodate three vehicles.  They prefer instead to park on the roadway outside their property, simply to prevent other neighbours legally parking there and "spoiling our outlook".   It's totally lost on them that their own vehicles then achieve the same objective, which tells me that their spoiled outlook isn't really their issue.       

Edited by Mysteron
  • Like 1

A single driveway even if it can hold upto 4 cars is an utter PITA to use, you have to constantly shuffle cars on/off in order to get out, it’s handy if you’ve got a camper van/motorhome and thats about it. If you’ve got 3/4 adults on different shifts/leaving at different times, forget it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

A single driveway even if it can hold upto 4 cars is an utter PITA to use, you have to constantly shuffle cars on/off in order to get out, it’s handy if you’ve got a camper van/motorhome and thats about it. If you’ve got 3/4 adults on different shifts/leaving at different times, forget it.

the opening credits to 'butterflies' springs to mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was talk about DOI outsourcing and expanding parking enforcement into estates but nothing's come of it yet. Many residents actually want parking enforcement but primarily to tackle bigger vehicles like vans etc being dumped in residential streets and taking up space needed by people who live there. The RPU were very clear about what they would do and couldn't have been more fair or transparent about it. They said they would issue tickets to people parking on pavements and so they did. Can't argue with that at all. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

There was talk about DOI outsourcing and expanding parking enforcement into estates but nothing's come of it yet. Many residents actually want parking enforcement but primarily to tackle bigger vehicles like vans etc being dumped in residential streets and taking up space needed by people who live there. The RPU were very clear about what they would do and couldn't have been more fair or transparent about it. They said they would issue tickets to people parking on pavements and so they did. Can't argue with that at all. 

Will DOI ticket their own vans then? 2 of the offenders in my street are DOI vehicles, another is Manx utilities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

You’re right, most of the new estates still only have space for 2 cars per household and no provision whatsoever for on street parking.

HGV access isn’t an issue when being built so I’m not sure what planning could do, I dare say there would be more red tape involved if there was a provision for on street parking at planning stage.

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

Moorehouse is whinging about the police concentration of housing estates. If both sides of the road are full of cars, then I’m sure it’s difficult for the emergency vehicles - fire, ambulance or police - to get through especially if there is a fire. If vehicles are parked on a pavement then people moan that they can’t have unfettered access. If this was the case, I’m sure that Moorehouse would probably put a question down, about inconsiderate car parking of drivers parking half on the highway and half on the road. A political chameleon.

4 hours ago, Whatnonsence said:

Parking is a huge problem both in housing estates and shopping areas which have not been properly policed for years or even decades. The police need to start enforcing traffic law before the roads are impassable.

I agree that some housing developments are rubbish for parking. Same applies in many areas in Douglas where properties have no off road parking.

Its my view though that this is a weak excuse for bad parking. As I have said many times, this is the Isle of Man. There is always parking. It might not be right outside your house. It might be 20m away, it might be 800m away. But there is also some. Unless you are disabled then everyone can walk. I have a lad opposite us who parks on the pavement all the time. That's because he is a lazy dumbwit and gets away with it. Ironically he drives to play five a side/goes for runs but then won't walk even 10m to find an empty space.

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its my view though that this is a weak excuse for bad parking. As I have said many times, this is the Isle of Man. There is always parking. It might not be right outside your house. It might be 20m away, it might be 800m away. But there is also some. Unless you are disabled then everyone can walk. I have a lad opposite us who parks on the pavement all the time. That's because he is a lazy dumbwit and gets away with it. Ironically he drives to play five a side/goes for runs but then won't walk even 10m to find an empty space.

i disagree ,  when lower douglas was built many properties were guest houses / hotels  and a car for every family wasn't even heard of never mind a vehicle or more per person in a household.  now many of these guest houses have become flats or larger family homes where there can be 4, 5 or 6 drivers in the one property that was never built with off road parking and may have only  a single car garage round the back lane. there are more vehicles per head of population now than there has ever been and there just isn't parking space required.   this may be an old wives tale but i heard  there is a parking zone in douglas  ( W i think around rosemount /museum area ) and there are more parking permits issued to residents then there are actual parking spaces in the area.

Edited by WTF

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You should report them to the police. If you report them then the Police will ticket them.

It was just a flippant remark, because the DOI (or their employees) don’t stick to their own rules, but if you listen to the minister you’d think they all do a wonderful job and lead by the sample, which they certainly don’t. Another example is I’ve been overtaken twice in the temporary 40mph limits by DOI vans but I haven’t got the time nor inclination to report everyone and turn into some sort of self certified, neighbourhood watch do gooder, that’s the job for the Police, who I’ve still yet to see speed check in any of these areas.

That said the DOI or other companies who let employees take their vans home are also partly responsible, what checks have been done to ensure it is being parked correctly? If it cannot be parked safely/securely then really it should stay within a work car park (which they probably don’t have space for……..)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WTF said:

i disagree ,  when lower douglas was built many properties were guest houses / hotels  and a car for every family wasn't even heard of never mind a vehicle or more per person in a household.  now many of these guest houses have become flats or larger family homes where there can be 4, 5 or 6 drivers in the one property that was never built with off road parking and may have only  a single car garage round the back lane. there are more vehicles per head of population now than there has ever been and there just isn't parking space required.   this may be an old wives tale but i heard  there is a parking zone in douglas  ( W i think around rosemount /museum area ) and there are more parking permits issued to residents then there are actual parking spaces in the area.

I understand your point. Yes these areas are not suited to the number of vehicles. But what you are saying is that there are no parking spaces. I am saying that there are, you just have to widen the net to find them.