Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

5 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

. Look at that bridge to the Manx museum how much did that cost and how many people use it for the museum? Why wasn’t that money put into parking instead.  .

the bridge gets you from dedicated off street parking to the museum without having to puff your guts out walking up crellins hill , one of the few things that i think was worth doing in the first place.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Are the temporary 40 mph limits legal? Shouldn't there be repeater signs every few hundred metres?

I have no idea, in my eyes they’re legal because almost all the unrestricted/50mph signs have been replaced by 40mph signs, exceptions being 50mph from Sulby Ginger to Ramsey and a derestricted section on part of the mountain road although people are ignoring the 40mph and 50mph signs on there too, I’ve been overtaken at Hillberry and going up towards Kates every day by at least 2-3 cars every time, only to catch them up on the unrestricted section, it’s really quite irritating.

There is clearly a blatant disregard for them though and it’s actually quite dangerous because people are ignoring the roadworks signs, at a guess it’s because the course has been littered with them with little activity, it would have been much safer to just put a rolling temporary limit in the one section they’re working in and then maybe people would pay attention, instead people seem to be voting with their accelerators, seemingly unchallenged.

Part of me wants to report them, part of me thinks they’re taking the risk with their licence then crack on. I’d rather they overtake then tailgate me, but there has been some rather close calls and I don’t like the position it puts me in, with no speed checks happening it does make me feel like I’m the only idiot sticking to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Houses with two or three cars and parking inappropriately indicates the following:

1) planning failures especially anything built in the last 40 years  (lack of sizeable driveways or dedicated parking areas) in domestic areas

2) more kids not moving out due to high property prices and staying with mum and dad 

3) some people are just inconsiderate arseholes 

Edited by snowman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Maybe, and if you use it often I’m glad it helps you visit it. But they have wasted a lot of money over the years.  

TBH, the bridge is not one of their worst, and probably one of the better ones.  Whether it pays or not I couldn't say, but it is a good way of accessing that area of town from Finch Road and thereabouts.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Manx17 said:

I’m sure it helps people, especially if a person has mobility issues, so maybe it was a thought without thinking first on my behalf. Ive never used it. Just because one of my children were afraid of heights. But it is just as accessible from the bottom of Christian road and a long king wood grove from the car park and it’s on a flat all the way. 

Which is fine if you are in Christian Road and not parked in Chester Street. 

3 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

The Chester Street car park is at the bottom of Christian road . 

Well, not quite. Parking in Christian Road is a bit difficult.  I have used the bridge a few times with a friend who has mobility issues to go to the museum.   There's no suitable parking either within the museum grounds or around there.  So, the best solution is to park in Chester Street, take the lift up to the top and walk slowly up the last ramp and across the bridge.  It is still quite difficult to do the last stretch to the museum, but it is better to have the bridge than not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manx17 said:

You can park in Chester street car park and there is an opening at one of the levels at the bottom of Christian road. But I agree which ever way is easiest for people.

There is a very steep climb to get from Finch Road up to Christian Road.  Try doing it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I’m sure it helps people, especially if a person has mobility issues, so maybe it was a thought without thinking first on my behalf. Ive never used it. Just because one of my children were afraid of heights. But it is just as accessible from the bottom of Christian road and a long king wood grove from the car park and it’s on a flat all the way. 

Kingswood Grove may be flat, but the bottom of christian road or st banrnabas  to get there from the car park is really quite steep, if short. There are plenty of things to complain about, the footbridge is not one of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snowman said:

Houses with two or three cars and parking inappropriately indicates the following:

1) planning failures especially anything built in the last 40 years  (lack of sizeable driveways or dedicated parking areas) in domestic areas

2) more kids not moving out due to high property prices and staying with mum and dad 

3) some people are just inconsiderate arseholes 

40 years ago, the Morris Marina and Princess cars had just come to the end of production. I hardly think that planners then could envisage how many cars people would own now!

Besides, they would have rusted away to nothing.

3 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

think if they brought in an MOT it would get rid of a lot of vehicles in one swoop,

The standard of cars on Manx roads would put many European Countries to shame, even older cars are/would seem to be in very good condition.

An MOT would reveal little more that a leaking exhaust??? Nothing dangerous or life threatening???

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

I did say I maybe thought wrong before thinking and the bridge probably helps with people with mobility issues and stated Crellin’s  hill isn’t the only way to the museum from that car park and gave a different way. I’ve also said I agree which ever way is easiest for people. You said about parking in Christian Road and I tried to explain I said Chester Street car park not Christian road. I also walk it every day to work and leave my car on the drive as I’m lucky to have one. But also can understand if people don’t and have no where to park, and yes government do waste money and if any one said they didn’t would be lying or in that club.

Sorry Manx17, but I have tried to come up with a constructive and considered reply, but I can't.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

40 years ago, the Morris Marina and Princess cars had just come to the end of production. I hardly think that planners then could envisage how many cars people would own now!

Besides, they would have rusted away to nothing.

Go round some of the places built in the late 80's / early 90's. 

Some houses have got driveways big enough for one car, some will fit two, some fit three.

Complete planning fuck up

9 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The standard of cars on Manx roads would put many European Countries to shame, even older cars are/would seem to be in very good condition.

An MOT would reveal little more that a leaking exhaust??? Nothing dangerous or life threatening???

MOT failure items aren’t necessarily dangerous or life threatening as such, it’s mostly working on worst case scenario. Things like rust within 30cm of a mounting point, bald tyres, leaking suspension, corroded brake lines, knackered seat belts, air bag lights, worn brakes/sized callipers, wheel bearings and a host of other things are only really going to affect you or someone else if you crash and what’s the chances of that happening? Chances are if you know your car is a bit ropey you’ll drive with that in mind, especially if you’re on a budget and struggling to put fuel in the car let alone worry about the maintenance costs.

Anyway its about parking, the additional expense of having an MOT would remove loads of vehicles off the road, especially those that sit unused/rarely used, it’s also an additional thing to sting those who leave their cars untaxed with, like a certain taxi driver who parks untaxed cars on the road around his house just to piss off the neighbours.

• Like 1