Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

1 hour ago, tuono said:

I think it’s the inconsistency which is the issue really, no action for years then bang.  Does anyone know of the cops just issued FP’s or did they put some warnings on vehicles initially?

Why do you need to warn someone they are breaking the law.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

A camper van is a van. I agree but the same applies to all the shirty old vans that are parked around the island. Never moving, sills rotting out of them. An ugly blight on our roads. An MOT would see them all scrapped. 

A family has just moved out of their rented house on our road but left a shitty van full of crap outside. Currently taxed but still a bloody eyesore

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2022 at 1:48 PM, Happier diner said:

Why do you need to warn someone they are breaking the law.

I agree but if the cops haven’t enforced it for a long time I would have thought if only fair to warn that they were going to.

38 minutes ago, Banker said:

Still haven’t stopped it at hospital, getting ridiculous trying to drop off/collect with all the cars parked on double yellows/pavements etc

The double yellows are seemingly just there to help people line their wheels up. 

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They hardly cause issues though do they? 

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

They bloody well do where I live. Great 7 and 8m vans taking up 2 spaces each. Blocking entrances, being used as sheds, blocking the pavements, overhanging junctions. Get them all banned from the streets. Everything over 5.5m or 3.5t. Get rid of them. if you haven't got a parking space/drive/yard don't have a van

I have no sympathy. If the owners had any common sense then this wouldn't be happening. If they parked considerately it wouldn't have become a problem. They don't. They are lazy twats who don't care about anyone else.  They don't care about peoples safety, they don't care about parents with pushchairs who have to go round on the road. They don't care about disabled people who cant get passed them.

Apart from that I am not too fussed😁

• Like 7

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I’ve had more emails and calls about motorhomes and vans in residential areas than about the bins. It clearly is an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

The issue has got much worse since they brought in the paid parking up at the Grandstand. Before that half the vans and camper vans in Douglas were parked up there totally out of the way not causing any inconvenience to anyone but the corporation who now seem to be counting all those £1 coins they’re raising like Scrooge McDuck. It’s likely a self perpetuated problem for North Douglas. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

The issue has got much worse since they brought in the paid parking up at the Grandstand. Before that half the vans and camper vans in Douglas were parked up there totally out of the way not causing any inconvenience to anyone but the corporation who now seem to be counting all those £1 coins they’re raising like Scrooge McDuck. It’s likely a self perpetuated problem for North Douglas. 

Its a fair point. I don't agree that anyone should park for free and they were an eyesore to be fair. Some people taking the piss (as there always is) and some people living in them. But many doing no harm and as you say off the streets.

However, now its just a waste of space. So why not issue a permit. Say £1000 per year is cheap. Parking for all times except TT and MGP. Vehicles must be taxed and roadworthy. There must be room for about 40. That's £40K per year. If there is a vehicle there not displaying a permit, fine them. Tow it. Sell it.

Same at Park Road school site. Maybe room for 100 in there.

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1

It’s not just camper vans and mobile motor homes, it’s also the likes of IOMG staff who have a vehicle - eg, Water, Manx Utilities etc, they come home and park up thereby depriving others of a parking space. I’m using that as an example, I’m sure that others will give other examples. Demesne Road has had campervans parked up, from the Car Lot opposite James Caine. Parking is at a premium. 

Edited by 2112