Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

24 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Water, Manx Utilities etc

Same thing now!

But yes. Its a fair point too. They are annoying. DOI vans, Fire Service Vehicles and even Police cars regularly seen too. Not just Gov though. Everyone has a Magic Carpets Van to decorate their streets.  Abandoned cars too. There is an old MG F on St Ninians. 4 flat tyres and no tax. Was there all through TT. No enforcement. I'll report it tonight.

If we got all this shit shifted the place would look so much better. It would be safer and everyone would be able to park no problem. 

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I’ve had more emails and calls about motorhomes and vans in residential areas than about the bins. It clearly is an issue. 

It's an issue to Nimbys because they think they deserve a parking space close to their house or they are eyesores. 

2 hours ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

The issue has got much worse since they brought in the paid parking up at the Grandstand. Before that half the vans and camper vans in Douglas were parked up there totally out of the way not causing any inconvenience to anyone but the corporation who now seem to be counting all those £1 coins they’re raising like Scrooge McDuck. It’s likely a self perpetuated problem for North Douglas. 

This is the thing council's/government bring in legislation then offer no alternative so hard working people then get screwed with tickets.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

It’s not just camper vans and mobile motor homes, it’s also the likes of IOMG staff who have a vehicle - eg, Water, Manx Utilities etc, they come home and park up thereby depriving others of a parking space. I’m using that as an example, I’m sure that others will give other examples. Demesne Road has had campervans parked up, from the Car Lot opposite James Caine. Parking is at a premium. 

Unless your home comes with a parking space then it's first come first served. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

It's an issue to Nimbys because they think they deserve a parking space close to their house or they are eyesores. 

No one deserves a parking place close to their homes . I agree. But then no one deserves to park 2 large vans, a couple of cars and a motorhome on the public road when there is hardly any space for everyone anyway. It's selfish and anti social. Large commercial vehicles and motorhomes have no place on our residential streets.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

No one deserves a parking place close to their homes . I agree. But then no one deserves to park 2 large vans, a couple of cars and a motorhome on the public road when there is hardly any space for everyone anyway. It's selfish and anti social. Large commercial vehicles and motorhomes have no place on our residential streets.  

Also makes you wonder does the companies insurance cover damage and theft if it is not in a secure compound? Also wonder if they are properly declared as benefit in kind if they are used for personal travel. One suspects not.

11 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Also makes you wonder does the companies insurance cover damage and theft if it is not in a secure compound? Also wonder if they are properly declared as benefit in kind if they are used for personal travel. One suspects not.

For some weird reason in the Isle of Man. AFAIK getting a van for personal use is not considered a benefit in kind. Hence all the peeps who go back and forth in 'their' vans and clog up our streets, do so without penalty. 

56 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

For some weird reason in the Isle of Man. AFAIK getting a van for personal use is not considered a benefit in kind. Hence all the peeps who go back and forth in 'their' vans and clog up our streets, do so without penalty. 

It’s (apparently) a purely commercial vehicle, not a domestic one. People tried to argue the stupid high spec pickup trucks like the Navara were purely commercial but tax clamped down, so now they all drive Transit Custom Sports.

12 hours ago, Happier diner said:

They bloody well do where I live. Great 7 and 8m vans taking up 2 spaces each. Blocking entrances, being used as sheds, blocking the pavements, overhanging junctions. Get them all banned from the streets. Everything over 5.5m or 3.5t. Get rid of them. if you haven't got a parking space/drive/yard don't have a van

I have no sympathy. If the owners had any common sense then this wouldn't be happening.

Even a lwb ducato, parked well won't impact usable space much more than a car will. But that is about the limit on what you can get away with before it starts getting really silly.

But make the limit 5.5m and you'll be bang on a small sprinter with a high top and high payload. Still not exactly small vehicles.

9 hours ago, Lightening McQueen said:

Whatever happened to the Overnight and Weekend Parking restrictions brought in as a result of Quirky?

They apply to anything over 6m long and 2m high, unless it's under 3 tonnes empty.

https://www.iompolice.im/motoring/parking/

9 hours ago, 2112 said:

It’s not just camper vans and mobile motor homes, it’s also the likes of IOMG staff who have a vehicle - eg, Water, Manx Utilities etc, they come home and park up thereby depriving others of a parking space.

It's not just camper vans and mobile motor homes and the likes of IOMG staff who have a vehicle such as Water, Manx Utilities etc coming home and parking up thereby depriving others of a parking space. It's also people who park their cars. I tried to get a park outside my house just the other day and they were all taken by other people who had parked their cars there before I had a chance to park mine. There wasn't even a mobile home in sight. Cunts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If people have a better, affordable option they'll often take it.

If you limit where people can park, without offering a suitable alternative, then, the problematic vehicles will just move somewhere else and create problems there.

If the campers ever get shifted off the Ramsey prom for example, they'll just end up further towards town.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Even a lwb ducato, parked well won't impact usable space much more than a car will. But that is about the limit on what you can get away with before it starts getting really silly.

But make the limit 5.5m and you'll be bang on a small sprinter with a high top and high payload. Still not exactly small vehicles.

They apply to anything over 6m long and 2m high, unless it's under 3 tonnes empty.

Yes, I meant these should already address most of the problems, but doesn’t appear to being applied/enforced ☹️

7 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Every single 3.5t panel van will be less than 3 tonnes unladen. Even 7.5m ones. Same goes for Motorhomes. It would only apply to very large Motorhomes that are HGVs which 

It also says on 'Restricted Streets'. Whatever than means

1 hour ago, Lightening McQueen said:

Yes, I meant these should already address most of the problems, but doesn’t appear to being applied/enforced ☹️

Enforcement wouldn't help as its not excluding the vehicles that are causing the problem. Its clearly designed to only apply to HGVs

15 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Had a meeting earlier re Police parking and that’s gonna be resolved. Motorhome parking for a fee might be an option and is being talked about. 

Good, but a fee for those who could afford and those that can’t may have to find alternative parking. It may encourage changing behaviours. Some motor homes cost serious money to maintain, tax and use, so owners have the funds. IOMG need to step up with the Corpy and sort out land for parking larger motorhomes. 

• Like 1