Residents 'shocked' to be fined for parking on pavements outside homes

Happier diner

3 hours ago, newaccount said:

A very small number when compared to the total population.  Just saying.

Furthremore. such petitions can be signed by anyone, no matter where their location.

Bit of a bugger for visitors mind you, and tradespersons. What do you do if you’re self employed and it’s your only transport?

Even the DOI themselves send vans home with staff overnight. I’ve seen the Trafic/Vivaros parked outside homes, those are over the proposed limits. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

How do you know? 

That was the problem, there was no way of verifying.  Apart from that, I don't think there  is anything about petitions being a formalised process meaning they have to be recognised in IOM law if they met certain criteria.  I may be wrong though. 

13 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

What do you do if you’re self employed and it’s your only transport?

Well exactly when they’re trying to cut down on car use and car ownership but in future now if you’re a self employed plumber and you live in town you’ll have to buy a car to keep outside your house to drive it to wherever they will allow you to park your van to use it to go to work in. It’s another 100% bollocks plan dreamed up by DOI dumbasses. Or maybe they’ll put special buses on so that all builders, plumbers, roofers etc living in nice areas can all start work at the same time and get a bus to pick their vans up. It’s so unbelievably stupid it could only have come from the DOI. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Bit of a bugger for visitors mind you, and tradespersons. What do you do if you’re self employed and it’s your only transport?

Even the DOI themselves send vans home with staff overnight. I’ve seen the Trafic/Vivaros parked outside homes, those are over the proposed limits. 

this legislation is there so that certain pains in the arse can be dealt with finally and the good guys won't have any enforcement taken against them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

this legislation is there so that certain pains in the arse can be dealt with finally and the good guys won't have any enforcement taken against them.

Well, they will. It’s island wide.

Can’t enforce for one and not the other.

Local authorities are being asked for areas which should not be included in it. But that’ll just push the nuisances to those places. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, they will. It’s island wide.

Can’t enforce for one and not the other.

Local authorities are being asked for areas which should not be included in it. But that’ll just push the nuisances to those places. 

Yes. I think you are right. I don't think they have the answer here. It won't work, too draconian. 

However I do sympathise as clearly something needs to be done. For example there has been an old pile of crap at the top of Alexander drive for the last 6 weeks. It's an ex A1 taxis minibus. It's full of firewood and never moves. Its a shed on wheels. Every single vehicle coming up Alexander drive is inconvenienced by it. I feel sorry for the poor buggers who live in the nice house it's outside. They can get out of their driveway safely. 

But. It's taxed. It's not breaking any laws. It's just outside the disc zone. It's owner lives inside the disc zone where he has another  rusty monstrosity where he shuffles his parking disc every 2 hours.

I don't have the magic answer. It would be ideal if people stopped being selfish inconsiderate tossers, but they won't.  

• Thanks 1

I bet the bus drivers who every day have to try and drive through Willaston with vans and motorhomes parked both sides of the road will be relieved if this goes through, the other day the bus had to take a different route it just could not get past on the proper route.      You would not buy a boat if you had nowhere to moor it but people buy motor homes and just dump them anywhere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ADELE said:

I bet the bus drivers who every day have to try and drive through Willaston with vans and motorhomes parked both sides of the road will be relieved if this goes through, the other day the bus had to take a different route it just could not get past on the proper route.      You would not buy a boat if you had nowhere to moor it but people buy motor homes and just dump them anywhere.

Willaston is the exact place I would expect to be full of working vans. Where on earth else could they go? 

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Willaston is the exact place I would expect to be full of working vans. Where on earth else could they go? 

Mmmmm.  Yes you would think so wouldn't you? However Wiileston has a good proportion of retired folks who, because they pay a very small rent, can afford big motorhomes which they park outside their houses. Anagh Coar is the same. 

Funny old world. 

Moulton has an interview on the subject:

What does seem odd is that local authorities have been 'consulted' as to where they think should exempt (rather than included) in a general ban in their areas, but there has been no general consultation about the regulations that might might apply.  I can't see how you can you can determine the 'where' without determining the 'what' and 'how' first and what vehicles it would apply to and for what periods.

Whether you are for some sort of ban or not there are clearly details that need to be ironed out and the only way to do this will be through informed discussion, including as to how any regulations will be enforced (are existing ones?).  Otherwise nobody will be happy, nobody will know what to do and everyone will complain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. I think you are right. I don't think they have the answer here. It won't work, too draconian. 

However I do sympathise as clearly something needs to be done. For example there has been an old pile of crap at the top of Alexander drive for the last 6 weeks. It's an ex A1 taxis minibus. It's full of firewood and never moves. Its a shed on wheels. Every single vehicle coming up Alexander drive is inconvenienced by it. I feel sorry for the poor buggers who live in the nice house it's outside. They can get out of their driveway safely. 

But. It's taxed. It's not breaking any laws. It's just outside the disc zone. It's owner lives inside the disc zone where he has another  rusty monstrosity where he shuffles his parking disc every 2 hours.

I don't have the magic answer. It would be ideal if people stopped being selfish inconsiderate tossers, but they won't.  

People absolutely do take the piss.

My concern is that anything too draconian, regardless of the motivations, will just make life harder for people trying to get by and doing their best to be considerate.

It's a shame there isn't some sort of 'heap' clause, or, mandatory vehicle test at X age. That may be a reasonable motivator for getting some of the sheds gone.

I've seen some cars about where you could get a fist through the wing, and the exhaust sounded like it had long parted company with the rest of the car.

• Like 1

Get it into law now. Ban the lot of them. Just so that huge campervan can be moved from the main road in Colby by Ballakeyl estate which blocks all visual along the road. Cunts the lot of them. 

Build a driveway, store it off road. I’m not here to pay for your free parking on the highways. 

• Like 2

There have been many calls from MF posters to allow Douglas retail to flourish.

Yet today there was a traffic warden booking customers on the Terrace!

Is that conducive to a thriving retail area???

If you are stopping on the Terrace for a quick shop or takeaway, would you think a disk time was required???

Then again, I don't want them parking in my street!!!!!!!!