Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

I have a friend who works zero hours contract for Bus Vannin. He told them he wasnt available to work for three weeks due to doing work on his house etc. They have never been off the phone hassling him to come in. He actually relented and did a few shifts but seems like now they have lots of Zero hours drivers who are not obliged to work if doesnt suit them and not enough contracted ones . Also TT looming so guess thats a money spinner for contracted drivers . 

Edited by Numbnuts

I heard they offered casual drivers 4 times the normal hourly rate as they were so desperate. It would be good to be able to verify that but I believe the source. 

It would also be worth closing the trains and trams for 6 months and get all the staff trained to drive buses.

Edited by 0bserver

12 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Same government shit-show on the buses as at the airport again last night and this morning (See separate thread).   

The problem you’ve got is that nobody who works for government wanted to work for government before Covid. Now after covid they want to work even less because they’ve been told it’s all about a better work / life balance. The fact they put this lot and the airport people on zero hours contracts has actually worked against them as people are deciding they don’t want to work at inconvenient time and then they’re f**ked for staff. You’ve now basically got a load of lazy a$$es dictating when and where they’re prepared to work. 

This is where casual ZHC comes back to bite them on the arse. If you want people obliged to come in and work regular hours, you have to contract and pay them properly to do it.

ZHC works both ways. The employer can conveniently feck people off if they're "not needed". But the flip side is that the employee can do the same thing.

• Like 9

Someone I know is young & single & very happy to be doing loads of overtime due to shortages as probably many others with financial commitments are!!

they do seem to cancel mostly quiet route eg niarbyl or where there are frequent services as lots of buses still going around with minimal passengers.

perhaps they need to look at schedules & reduce in line with staff numbers. Also several drivers will be using Covid to get full pay for a few days off 

• Like 1

It's failure of the employment structures put in place by current management. They relied so heavily on casual staff who now have better things to do. So the blame lies soley at the feet of senior management. 

I tried using the bus a couple of times last week when I had business in town but as the service is now so unpredictable and unreliable I'll drive in and pay the extortionate DBC parking charges 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bandits said:

The problem you’ve got is that nobody who works for government wanted to work for government before Covid. Now after covid they want to work even less because they’ve been told it’s all about a better work / life balance. The fact they put this lot and the airport people on zero hours contracts has actually worked against them as people are deciding they don’t want to work at inconvenient time and then they’re f**ked for staff. You’ve now basically got a load of lazy a$$es dictating when and where they’re prepared to work. 

The impending recession and crash in reserves should focus a few minds.

The whole bus vannin shitshow needs an overhaul. Is there any need for the number of buses out and about. 3 every hour to Onchan, same with Willaston, Pulrose, Anagh Coar and Ramsey

If this was a private business it would be run a lot more efficiently than it is now

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

The whole bus vannin shitshow needs an overhaul. Is there any need for the number of buses out and about. 3 every hour to Onchan, same with Willaston, Pulrose, Anagh Coar and Ramsey

If this was a private business it would be run a lot more efficiently than it is now

The last time there was any attempt to alter bus timetables, specifically within certain Douglas areas (read "vote bases") even by a few minutes, the shit hit the fan.

MHKs were called up and intervened because Mrs Whatever from Annacur Lane was going to have to change her weekly shop arrangements etc etc.

• Like 1