Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

17 minutes ago, Declan said:

You don't see potato scallops anymore. 

no you don't , tesco's used to sell them and maybe still do in the prepared/processed veg section opposite the herbs and garlic section  ( if the store is still laid out that way )  they were where the ready made mash is.

1 minute ago, forestboy said:

When I was a kid in the south of England. Doubt it now  😢

It looks like fish and chip shops do different delicacies depending on location.  When l first arrived here many years ago, l was surprised to see orange fish cakes.  In fact, l remember asking the young lady serving if she had mixed up my order with codroe; she looked as puzzled as l was.  My new husband of a week laughed and explained the fish cakes weren't homemade but commercially bought, and the orange colour was breadcrumbs.:D

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well it never did me any harm!

And the smell of vinegar on warm newspaper  was lovely.

Health and Safety gone mad if you ask me.

7 hours ago, Lilly said:

They just tasted much better years ago.

7 hours ago, Zarley said:

Written better too!

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

Thank you.   😊 

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

Think l just got that a bit upside-down, thought it was a compliment.  :D

I was joking that you meant the newspapers tasted better years ago. The writing was better years ago too.

When I was a kid one of my favourite teachers used to assign newspaper reading as homework, in part because the writing itself, regardless of content, could be relied upon to be good English. Now days a teacher couldn't set the same assignment unless you were showing how NOT to write. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Chips, cheese and gravy is fucking lovely. 

A family member is so fond of chips, cheese, and gravy, that a friend once baked them a very realistic looking cake in the shape of a huge portion of CC&G. The only thing missing was the smell of chips. It tasted lovely too; best chocolate cake I've ever had. 

Edited by Zarley
Change P to G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I was joking that you meant the newspapers tasted better years ago. The writing was better years ago too.

When I was a kid one of my favourite teachers used to assign newspaper reading as homework, in part because the writing itself, regardless of content, could be relied upon to be good English. Now days a teacher couldn't set the same assignment unless you were showing how NOT to write. 

Thank you for the explanation.  It was appreciated. :D

Edited by Lilly
I omitted the word was
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lilly said:

It looks like fish and chip shops do different delicacies depending on location. 

Puts me in mind of a Peter Kay routine of being in London or somewhere down south trying to get mushy peas, gravy or curry sauce on his chips without success

” Don’t thou do anything moist to go with chips down here” ( or something like that)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Puts me in mind of a Peter Kay routine of being in London or somewhere down south trying to get mushy peas, gravy or curry sauce on his chips without success

” Don’t thou do anything moist to go with chips down here” ( or something like that)

It was the same when I lived in Scotland, I had to bring them my own gravy granules to get any sort of 'moist'

6 hours ago, WTF said:

no you don't , tesco's used to sell them and maybe still do in the prepared/processed veg section opposite the herbs and garlic section  ( if the store is still laid out that way )  they were where the ready made mash is.

No, they are potato scallops for wimps.  The slice of potato has to be about 1 cm, covered with thick batter.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zarley said:

A family member is so fond of chips, cheese, and gravy, that a friend once baked them a very realistic looking cake in the shape of a huge portion of CC&P. The only thing missing was the smell of chips. It tasted lovely too; best chocolate cake I've ever had. 

What is P? 

• Haha 1