Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

A friend has a zero hour contract with Bus Vannin. Asked him today what the issue is and he said money. Its only £11 a hour which tbh with the responsibility and you only really work when needed or suits them its not much. Bar staff are getting offered £13 plus currently . I believe money goes up after a year or so to around £15 but they apparently give it reluctantly. He did say also he thought drivers were been offered higher rates currently to take shifts . 

It's 2022 and they still don't have RTPI at bus stops or an app that does journey planner. 

There is the travel line website but it's shot on a mobile.

Finally, the journey planner should be available on Google maps or moovit which are infinitely easier to us than pdf saved on a phone

Edited by snowman

Tim Crookall is beginning to repeat the mistakes of Harmer and Baker - he's trying to defend, explain and justify that which cannot be defended, explained or justified. 

He needs to take himself down to Banks Circus and read them the riot act for undermining local coach companies and taking on work that they have now resources to cover. 

There is no driver shortage. 

T

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Tim Crookall is beginning to repeat the mistakes of Harmer and Baker - he's trying to defend, explain and justify that which cannot be defended, explained or justified. 

He needs to take himself down to Banks Circus and read them the riot act for undermining local coach companies and taking on work that they have now resources to cover. 

T

They need to stop letting their senior officers lie to them. It it was me they’d only do that once and I would bring them into a room and throw the riot act at them and tell them if they did it again they’d be sacked. How any of these Ministers can tolerate serial liars making them look like fools I really don’t get. 

• Like 3

The bus service is a tricky thing to run profitably on the island, even trying to make it break even must be almost impossible. 

On one hand fares need to be realistic, routes need to be comprehensive and regular, buses need to be modern and reliable, drivers have to be fairly paid with good conditions and all on an island where most people drive everywhere.

I'm sure some on here have the answers, I certainly don't. 

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The bus service is a tricky thing to run profitably on the island, even trying to make it break even must be almost impossible.

Since when did they ever even try to break even? The buses lose £7M a year on the last release (I think). There's a long way to go before they break even, let alone turn a profit.

45 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

They need to stop letting their senior officers lie to them. It it was me they’d only do that once and I would bring them into a room and throw the riot act at them and tell them if they did it again they’d be sacked. How any of these Ministers can tolerate serial liars making them look like fools I really don’t get. 

Alf is introducing independent non political advisors for all the departments, to tell the MHKs the truth, ex private sector I am sure he said, should stop a lot of the lies.

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

T

I can't see what else he can do other than recognise and try to explain the reasons behind the issues. That's the first step to putting things right surely?

1 minute ago, Boris Johnson said:

Alf is introducing independent non political advisors for all the departments, to tell the MHKs the truth, ex private sector I am sure he said, should stop a lot of the lies.

There's a few jobs going for MF members then!

• Haha 1