Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

20 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It seems to be settling down, hopefully.

It's clear they only have a problem when the cruise ships are in - on Sunday and Monday with Tuesday being affected a bit because of necessary rest days.  But I have a horrible feeling they're going to try to use it as an excuse to cut back services for the locals rather than not take on commitments they can't manage.

Presumably buses full of paying cruise passengers are much more lucrative to BV than half full (or less) buses of locals running around on scheduled local services?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Presumably buses full of paying cruise passengers are much more lucrative to BV than half full (or less) buses of locals running around on scheduled local services?

Frankly I wouldn't be so sure about that.  The cruise companies certainly charge their customers enough for them, but the Government is so keen to increase cruise traffic that we don't what sort of artificially low rates are being charged.  Certainly enough to undercut commercial competitors. 

And I doubt Longworth will be returning the subsidy for all those cancelled buses, so those who were inconvenienced or worse were subsidising the cruise passengers too through their taxes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm not convinced that BV will be charging the full fees for the services they provide for the cruise vessels, if comparing to private hire.

ETA: posted before I read Roger's missive.

Edited by Andy Onchan

24 minutes ago, Declan said:

It actually just lists the services "at risk of cancellation". So at the 15:25 there may or may not be a bus from the City to Port Erin. 

it must be very easy to plan your day around such concise information  ,.....................not.

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Frankly I wouldn't be so sure about that.  The cruise companies certainly charge their customers enough for them, but the Government is so keen to increase cruise traffic that we don't what sort of artificially low rates are being charged.  Certainly enough to undercut commercial competitors. 

And I doubt Longworth will be returning the subsidy for all those cancelled buses, so those who were inconvenienced or worse were subsidising the cruise passengers too through their taxes.

Longworth was/is and always will be a grade A twunt

14 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Longworth was/is and always will be a grade A twunt

Watching them push that horse tram through the points outside the Empress was the final act of public embarrassment for Longworth and Co. Its just sad. This is the challenge Cannan has now said that he’s taking on. How or corral a load of overpaid  egotistical useless wankers to provide the services that the public actually pay them to do. Like a lame horse they just need to take them round the back of the stables and shoot them. 

8 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Watching them push that horse tram through the points outside the Empress was the final act of public embarrassment for Longworth and Co.

Don't you get a nice warm feeling when things turn out exactly as you knew they would.

11707527_876694725717064_4463178891630775710_n.jpg

Apparently the claim by Crookall that the cruise business didn't effect the normal service might be explained by apparently management from Banks Circus provided the drivers for that contract. Clearly though that same management could have filled in the timetabled service you'd have thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Apparently the claim by Crookall that the cruise business didn't effect the normal service might be explained by apparently management from Banks Circus provided the drivers for that contract. Clearly though that same management could have filled in the timetabled service you'd have thought.

Not much in the way of tips from a scheduled service though.  I'm sure the fact the management are reserving these jobs for themselves will go down really well with the rest of the drivers.  And of course moving the cruise ship passengers around is a lot less driving than a scheduled service for a full shift.

And  if the drivers are being paid at management rates, it rather suggests that the profits they are making on that business may not be all it seems.

(It also makes you wonder what those managers do all day if they can all do something else without any effect on how the system runs.  But that's no surprise).

• Like 4